PDA

View Full Version : Soderling Swingweight?!?!

Pioneer
02-22-2010, 06:30 AM
On hdtennis I saw an article on Soderling's racquet and it said its swingweight was 384. The stick is not heavy - 357g. How did they get such a high swingweight? Only lead at 12? Also, it says Murray's racquet has a swingweight of 404g. How do these guys keep the ball in, doesn't it fly long because of the power behind the shot? Also, does a higher SW help you get more topspin or is a lower SW better for that?

larry10s
02-22-2010, 08:07 AM
How do these guys keep the ball in, doesn't it fly long because of the power behind the shot?

...luxilon

J011yroger
02-22-2010, 08:19 AM
Wow...Murray at 404...

Are you sure this is accurate?

J

floydcouncil
02-22-2010, 08:34 AM
384!! Wow, that's quite high. I wonder what it would feel like hitting a punch volley with his frame.

ronalditop
02-22-2010, 08:37 AM
While pro's racquet are very powerful because of their weight and SW, they also have amazing control. Thats why they can consistently hit very hard and still control the ball.

Rabbit
02-22-2010, 08:59 AM
384!! Wow, that's quite high. I wonder what it would feel like hitting a punch volley with his frame.

so does Solderling... ;)

J011yroger
02-22-2010, 10:45 AM
so does Solderling... ;)

LOL.

Just don't say that where he can hear.

J

mtr1
02-22-2010, 10:49 AM
Wow...Murray at 404...

J

His swingweight has dropped from that, it was that high at the start of his career, but has subsequently dropped due to his wrist injuries.

J011yroger
02-22-2010, 10:57 AM
His swingweight has dropped from that, it was that high at the start of his career, but has subsequently dropped due to his wrist injuries.

Cool...I had no idea.

J

dincuss
02-22-2010, 02:35 PM
Wow...Murray at 404...

J

why are you so surprised?, yours are 405;)

Don't Let It Bounce
02-22-2010, 03:00 PM
On hdtennis I saw an article on Soderling's racquet and it said its swingweight was 384. The stick is not heavy - 357g. How did they get such a high swingweight? Only lead at 12?I know of two ways to get a high ratio of swingweight to weight: make it head-heavy (doesn't apply here), and make a headlight racquet really polarized. The latter means to make sure a lot of the weight is distributed away from the center and toward the butt and the tip. The easy way to do that is to take a light stock racquet and add lead at the top of the hoop and a (literal) butt-load of silicone.
so does Soderling... ;)You have earned a 'Caused Beverage Spray' point, dude(tte).

Pioneer
02-23-2010, 03:49 AM
Well he's a Head pro, and I think most (Safin, Murray, Cilic, etc.) Head pros use loooong strips of lead under the bumper guard at 12' and silicone in the handle. This is polarized right? And polarized frames are usually strung low, so he can't be stringing that high. Also, his racquet is a Pro Tour 630 which has a lot of control, but still - wouldn't it send balls long with that swingweight? His racquet's balance is 33.75cm meaning it's 2 points head light

But does a high swingweight help in producing spin? I know he's an aggressive baseliner but he also seems to be doing really well on clay

Rabbit
02-23-2010, 04:08 AM
Well he's a Head pro, and I think most (Safin, Murray, Cilic, etc.) Head pros use loooong strips of lead under the bumper guard at 12' and silicone in the handle. This is polarized right? And polarized frames are usually strung low, so he can't be stringing that high. Also, his racquet is a Pro Tour 630 which has a lot of control, but still - wouldn't it send balls long with that swingweight? His racquet's balance is 33.75cm meaning it's 2 points head light

But does a high swingweight help in producing spin? I know he's an aggressive baseliner but he also seems to be doing really well on clay

ehhhhhh yeah

Pioneer
02-23-2010, 07:17 AM
Rabbit, what do you mean :P

tennisntn3477
02-23-2010, 07:39 AM

Not too far from the swingweight on the Becker 11 SE - give it a demo. For me, when I've tested high SW frames - backhand slices just seem like a whole new ballgame.

Pioneer
02-23-2010, 10:41 AM
wow ok I just went and put a few more grams on my stick after reading all this :D But I though such a high SW would make the balls go out and it is generally used by hard servers (Sampras' was like 380 right?) and a low SW suited baseline players like Nadal (his SW is 350 I think)

djinni999
06-07-2010, 02:00 PM
wow ok I just went and put a few more grams on my stick after reading all this :D But I though such a high SW would make the balls go out and it is generally used by hard servers (Sampras' was like 380 right?) and a low SW suited baseline players like Nadal (his SW is 350 I think)

my experiences of the past week or so of tennis might shed some light on your question.
i have played with a Volkl C10 PT that was 367.5 grams and around 5-5.5 pts HL and had a SW of 378, i think. i had no problem with balls going long, spin production was excellent.
i played with a Prestige mid that was around 5 HL also, 365 grams, certainly over 360 SW. again not a single problem with excessive depth.

recently i bought a Spalding racquet which is a Prestige mid clone. this is 'merely' 360 grams, but is 3.0 points HL. what a difference!! it really launches the ball. the trajectory is high as well. having trouble keeping the ball in play, even when going for medium pace, or even when just blocking a hard ball back. slices are floating up and out occasionally. drop shots are horrendous!
i don't know its swingweight, it doesn't seem as high as my 378 SW Volkl or even the Prestige i mentioned above. This leads me to conclude that balance is having a much greater effect on overdepth than SW alone.

was this a surprise to me? not really... :)

xFullCourtTenniSx
06-08-2010, 02:32 PM

If you're talking about Soderling, then it's because he's so bloody tall and he hits the ball so bloody hard. They pointed it out in the ATP World Tour Finals at London. The courts were relatively slow, so the guys who were winning were generally the guys who took the ball on the rise and could really power the ball through the court when everyone else would be throwing up relatively slow balls. Same concept on clay. Soderling takes the ball on the rise, and the ball bounces up right into his strike zone because his height makes it bigger than most other players. He also smacks the hell out of the ball, so it's not too surprising that he's doing well as long as he does it consistently. Think of him as a bigger, more powerful Agassi. A Super Saiyan Agassi if you will...

kiteboard
06-09-2010, 04:27 PM
He uses a pt57a, with lead all the way under the hoop, which explains the high swing wt. Alu power at 21.0kg.

vsbabolat
06-09-2010, 04:34 PM
He uses a pt57a, with lead all the way under the hoop, which explains the high swing wt. Alu power at 21.0kg.

No it does not explain it. His frame start out very light before customization........ But you would know that...................

kiteboard
06-09-2010, 08:33 PM
It starts out at 320g before, then, adding lead all the way under the capped grommets, it brings the stick way up in swing wt. Try it sometime. I saw his stick in the french, 21.0kg, alu power, (only comes in 1.25mm) strung on Tues. match. That is a ton of lead, more than any I've seen, and no wonder he has trouble volleying!

vsbabolat
06-09-2010, 08:48 PM
It starts out at 320g before, then, adding lead all the way under the capped grommets, it brings the stick way up in swing wt. Try it sometime. I saw his stick in the french, 21.0kg, alu power, (only comes in 1.25mm) strung on Tues. match. That is a ton of lead, more than any I've seen, and no wonder he has trouble volleying!

No, I am sorry but those racquets start off at about 254g. So you have to put a heck of a lot of weight no matter what you do. Please don't give any advice because you don't have clue
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/IMG_0363.jpg

Doubles
06-09-2010, 08:50 PM

Dude, don't argue with VS. He knows what he's talking about...

Doubles
06-09-2010, 08:51 PM
No, I am sorry but those racquets start off at about 254g. So you have to put a heck of a lot of weight no matter what you do. Please don't give any advice because you don't have clue

Whats up with the handle? I have never seen anything like that...

sweed
06-10-2010, 06:16 AM
Is that 254 g without the handle?

Chris Rizutto
06-10-2010, 06:44 AM
I was hoping to see Soderlings racquet handle kindly posted by VSBAB but its been deleted.

[d]ragon
06-10-2010, 07:23 AM
http://www.hdtennis.com/images/gr/soderling_pallet.jpg

This is what his handle actually looks like. It's specially molded to have the grooves of a leather grip and Soderling just puts an overgrip over this

vsbabolat
06-10-2010, 11:24 AM
I was hoping to see Soderlings racquet handle kindly posted by VSBAB but its been deleted.

Sorry it was the picture of one of my racquets with the weight of 245g printed on the hairpin before I had it customized. Just to show what a pro stock racquet weighs before customization.

Stroke
06-10-2010, 01:48 PM

Kiteboard,

I am a subscriber to tennisplayer and I believe I just read a piece about you that you wrote for that site. It was a very nice piece. I am very close to your age(not nearly as good a player) and I too prefer a heavy stick. I use a ProKennex Ki15PSE weighted up to about 365 grams with about a 360 swingweight. I suppose the specs on this stick are similar to a Babolot, but I do think the Kennex system works to reduce shock to the arm. I am a big believer in a high swingweight.

kiteboard
06-11-2010, 09:06 PM
Thanks! NO one uses a stick stripped of pallets, grips, etc. They weigh that much stripped. I have 8 pt57a. they all came with silicone injected in the handle and lead under the hoop. Unstrung, they all weighed 320g. 25g of silicone. Head guard, grip, lead under the hoop, pallet, brought them all up to 320g. Is that specific enough for you? That's after a little customization for one player. i brought them up to 360 g, grip :7g, over grip :3g, more lead: 15g, string 15g, impact absorber 2g. Vs may not be taking this into consideration or maybe he just likes insulting people. I'd like to see him use a pt57a at 254g! No grip, pallet, head guard, strings?

kiteboard
06-11-2010, 09:15 PM
Kiteboard,

I am a subscriber to tennisplayer and I believe I just read a piece about you that you wrote for that site. It was a very nice piece. I am very close to your age(not nearly as good a player) and I too prefer a heavy stick. I use a ProKennex Ki15PSE weighted up to about 365 grams with about a 360 swingweight. I suppose the specs on this stick are similar to a Babolot, but I do think the Kennex system works to reduce shock to the arm. I am a big believer in a high swingweight.

Exactly. And so are many pros who play with the same swing wt. you do. Soderling at 374g, (21 kg alu) Fed at 355-362g, gut/alu rough at 47 lbs., string a lings at 4-6 crosses down from top, depending on surface, humidity, etc. Delpo at 362g, 62/62 alu power. Murray used to be at 364g, (some say higher, 404g swing wt.!) alu/vs. Hewitt, etc. Sampras was at 384-389g, 59/59 earlier in career, 73/71 vs all season gut later on. Nadal is low at 332-334g, 54lbs rpm blast. Soderling: pt57a, Fed: blx mold, Delpo:? Murray: pt57a 16x 19 drill pattern, Nadal: Apd non cortex with lead under hoop and in handle.

High swing wt. is easier on your arm, not harder, esp. with a more flexy stick, like you are using. Less string breakage as well. More depth, more weight of shot. On low balls, you have to watch it, or you will go long without extra top! My h22s, are all 360g, 355 swing wt, lead at 3 and 9, bal pt: 32.2 cm, and strung with vs 17g /alu power 60/56. Nice plow through and spin as well. Hurting my arm a little, due to stiffer frame than the pt57a.

vsbabolat
06-12-2010, 08:41 AM
Thanks! NO one uses a stick stripped of pallets, grips, etc. They weigh that much stripped. I have 8 pt57a. they all came with silicone injected in the handle and lead under the hoop. Unstrung, they all weighed 320g. 25g of silicone. Head guard, grip, lead under the hoop, pallet, brought them all up to 320g. Is that specific enough for you? That's after a little customization for one player. i brought them up to 360 g, grip :7g, over grip :3g, more lead: 15g, string 15g, impact absorber 2g. Vs may not be taking this into consideration or maybe he just likes insulting people. I'd like to see him use a pt57a at 254g! No grip, pallet, head guard, strings?

Let me help you with your reading comprehension. I Said BEFORE CUSTOMIZATION the FRAMES weigh 254g. With just having pallets butt-cap, grip, and pallets in place they weigh about 10oz. That is great your racquets came with silicone in the handle and lead around the hoop. But that was CUSTOMIZED to WEIGH 320g by the pro room!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But you see Soderling has a CUSTOM MOLDED HANDLE. So his racquet started out at the 254g weight. P1 does ALL of the CUSTOMIZATION from the MOLDED GRIP to where and how much weight is added to get to the Spec Soderling has requested.

kiteboard
06-12-2010, 10:55 AM

I'm doing an article on the top ten pros equipment. Pics, vids, etc. "The sign of a weak mind is to resort to insult, to make its point."

vsbabolat
06-12-2010, 11:07 AM
I'm doing an article on the top ten pros equipment. Pics, vids, etc. "The sign of a weak mind is to resort to insult, to make its point."

I did not insult you. I am only stating the facts. How you chose to interpret it is up to you. I was more than happy to correct your misinformation.

P.S. You have no clue as to what my racquets spec out at. So you to give me any kind of advice is very presumptuous.

kiteboard
06-12-2010, 11:22 AM
Telling me I don't have a clue is not an insult? Questioning my reading comprehension is not an insult? Pure arrogance. I only stated how my racquets came, not how all pt57a come in lay up form. Then you start mouthing off, as if you know everything about my own racquets!

PED
06-12-2010, 11:27 AM
Soderling at 374g, (21 kg alu)

That 21kg tension seemed a bit low so I went back and checked some of the pro stringing logs over the last few years and I saw Soderling usually using full ALU at 25 or 26 kgs. He was actually at 28kgs for Indian Wells this year.

I have no inside knowledge but to drop it to 21kgs is a pretty big adjustment: especially given all the power he gets off the ground ;)

One last thing, I was looking at the specs and setup on your pt 57: I'll be that hits a BIG ball off the ground, sounds quite sweet.

vsbabolat
06-12-2010, 11:54 AM
Telling me I don't have a clue is not an insult?Telling you that you don't have a clue about the subject is a fact. How you interpret that statement is up to you.
I only stated how my racquets came, not how all pt57a come in lay up form.No, you stated how Soderling's racquets are BEFORE being customized. By the way it is called hairpin. Layup is something else that I can tell you about at another time.

Questioning my reading comprehension is not an insult? No. Apparently you did not comprehend my post on how much a HAIRPIN weighs before customization. I guess I was talking over your head.

Cup8489
06-12-2010, 11:59 AM
ragon;4752078']http://www.hdtennis.com/images/gr/soderling_pallet.jpg

This is what his handle actually looks like. It's specially molded to have the grooves of a leather grip and Soderling just puts an overgrip over this

I have to say, that's pretty awesome. But what else do you expect from P1? I can't imagine why he wouldn't just use a leather grip, though.. a bare mold would seem too hard to me, I'd get supreme blisters no matter what overgrip I used..

Doubles
06-12-2010, 02:52 PM
Telling you that you don't have a clue about the subject is a fact. How you interpret that statement is up to you.
No, you stated how Soderling's racquets are uncustomized. By the way it is called hairpin. Layup is something else that I can tell you about at another time.

No. Apparently you did not comprehend my post oh how much a HAIRPIN weighs before customization. I guess I was talking over your head.

Don't worry about him, he's clueless. He thinks that just because his pt57's came that way, all others must as well...

Xenakis
06-12-2010, 03:50 PM
Chaps, vsbabolat has contributed a fair amount to this forum when it comes to knowledge about pro frames and specs etc (esp. about Head), arguably he is one of the most knowledgeable people here.

With all due respect to those of you who are arguing with him you have contributed next to nothing (show me evidence to the contrary if you can, I might moderate my opinion).

Doubles
06-12-2010, 04:47 PM
Chaps, vsbabolat has contributed a fair amount to this forum when it comes to knowledge about pro frames and specs etc (esp. about Head), arguably he is one of the most knowledgeable people here.

With all due respect to those of you who are arguing with him you have contributed next to nothing (show me evidence to the contrary if you can, I might moderate my opinion).

By this point in time, the thread has been derailed to VS arguing with a complete idiot, so I don't think it truly matters...

Pioneer
06-17-2010, 08:36 AM
What's with the arguing? My friend's 237.1 came in at 320g strung with overgrip, same as my H19, and I guess this is what everybody except the world's top100 gets, then they make changes accordingly. Soderling obviously gets the hairpin because he has a custom molded handle and custom everything, so the head factory doesn't bother to put in things that he will take off anyway, if that seems logical. So, yeah, most likely he does get the 250g hairpin.

BTW Soderling's grip is latex of some kind, so it's not as hard as a bare grip.

I was wondering whether a racquet's "power" potential is based more on its weight or swingweight

RJYU
06-17-2010, 08:54 AM
BTW Soderling's grip is latex of some kind, so it's not as hard as a bare grip.

Totally incorrect. Soderling's grip is just as hard as the material used in other grips.

Pioneer
06-17-2010, 09:31 AM
Weird, why doesn't he get blisters with only one overgrip? Even guga kuerten uses 2 overgrips on a bare handle

vsbabolat
06-17-2010, 09:44 AM
What's with the arguing? My friend's 237.1 came in at 320g strung with overgrip, same as my H19, and I guess this is what everybody except the world's top100 gets, then they make changes accordingly. Soderling obviously gets the hairpin because he has a custom molded handle and custom everything, so the head factory doesn't bother to put in things that he will take off anyway, if that seems logical. So, yeah, most likely he does get the 250g hairpin.

My experience was different from your friend.................................

Pioneer
06-17-2010, 10:57 AM
wow where did you get hairpins?