PDA

View Full Version : tennis tutor prolite users?

jk175d
02-22-2010, 07:20 AM
I'm thinking about picking one of these up. (with oscillation and battery) From what I'm reading it seems people are generally happy with this unit. One point in particular I would like to hear users talk about though is ball speed.

The "ejection" speed is listed as up to 60mph which doesn't sound particularly hard. Is that enough to simulate good shots at 4.0 level?

I gather this unit doesn't have different spins, do users of this machine regret they don't have that option or is it not so important to you?

Anything else insightful you might have to offer would be helpful, thanks.

jazzyfunkybluesy
02-22-2010, 09:22 AM
Its not nearly heavy duty as the Tennis Tutor Plus. The machine is built with better materials and the addition of spin and oscillation will really help you game. I have the plus player model and love it. They sell demo models for cheaper.

jk175d
02-22-2010, 09:54 AM
Its not nearly heavy duty as the Tennis Tutor Plus. The machine is built with better materials and the addition of spin and oscillation will really help you game. I have the plus player model and love it. They sell demo models for cheaper.

the thing is, I have a chance to get a prolite (the model with oscillation) for $500 so it's a great deal IF the machine is worthy.

So what's your opinion of the speed of the ball. The Tutor plus is up to 85mph I think whereas the prolite is 60. I still am hoping someone can say something firsthand about 60mph relative to simulating strong 4.0 level shots.

jazzyfunkybluesy
02-22-2010, 10:11 AM
the thing is, I have a chance to get a prolite (the model with oscillation) for $500 so it's a great deal IF the machine is worthy.

So what's your opinion of the speed of the ball. The Tutor plus is up to 85mph I think whereas the prolite is 60. I still am hoping someone can say something firsthand about 60mph relative to simulating strong 4.0 level shots.

Its speed is sufficient but realize that the shots are flat with no topspin. My friend puts the machine on a table so the balls bounce up a bit more simulating a real shot.

86golf
02-22-2010, 04:58 PM
I have the Prolite and I mostly use it to teach my daughter. I use it some to practice overheads and volleys but imo, if you are looking for 4.0 baseline simulated balls, only the high end machines can give you that with the topspin feature. I use the Playmate at our club to work on baseline drills. The 60mph speed limitation is not the issue...the balls are plenty fast at the top speed, they just are not representative of a match ball that is going to kick up and jump into you.

jazzyfunkybluesy
02-23-2010, 05:44 AM
See the Prolite is for little kids.

walkman
02-23-2010, 01:07 PM
I agree. I wouldn't recommend a machine without spin just because it allows me to practice many more types of shots. For example, I use backspin to practice "sitter" forehands since we all know how easy it is to miss those in a match.

Likewise, I'm a big proponent of getting a remote. It keeps you from wasting a lot of balls trying to setup the machine for your drill.

Wait for another deal.

Icedorb217
02-23-2010, 05:28 PM
Get the Silent Partner star or edge if you want topspin up to 95mph and its only 600 i think thats a better deal

jk175d
02-24-2010, 07:40 AM
thanks for all the feedback. I'll probably pass on this one then and look for a more versatile machine.