PDA

View Full Version : does anyone here remember "Blue Star Nylon" tennis strings????

jimanuel12
02-22-2010, 12:15 PM
i had my jack krammer autograph strung with this one time in 1974man, that was the latest thing at that time, i was so excited to get my racket re-strung with that stuff.
it was so cool!!!!:)

Rabbit
02-22-2010, 01:02 PM
Yep, Blue Star was THE string

There was also Vantage I and Vantage II

tennis005
02-22-2010, 01:38 PM
Anyone have a picture of the string?

Capt. Willie
02-22-2010, 01:49 PM
Yes, back in the day if you didn't want (or couldn't afford) gut, Blue Star was the string to get. Most the good players when I was in High school used it.

coachrick
02-22-2010, 02:07 PM
Oh yeah, Blue Star...had to overstring by at least 10% to offset the stretch. Stuff was sheeted ribbons rather than filaments...similar to gut. It would untwist like crazy on the last holes of rackets like the Arthur Ashe Comp with the shared holes. Then it started fraying if you just showed it a tennis ball! :) Gold Star was similar, not as popular in our area. Then the "Tournament" Blue Star came out...thinner gauge and had a faint white spiral. Wore out in half the time!!!!

I've got a couple of rackets strung with Blue Star...most likely from the '70s. Rossignol actually distributed Blue Star in '79/80. It was fading pretty fast by then.

Anybody remember the 'oil' that was in the packages? You actually had to wipe down some of the string just to remove the slickiness.

While we're at it...anybody remember 'oil-filled' strings? Came with a metal 'plug' on both ends to keep the oil from leaking out! Supposedly would keep the strings from stretching so much since it's darned near impossible to compress oil...What a concept !!!

firefox
02-22-2010, 02:12 PM
I think you can still buy Blue star strings, but I'm not sure if it's the same stuff as the original. :)

coachrick
02-22-2010, 02:12 PM
Yep, Blue Star was THE string

There was also Vantage I and Vantage II

Oh yeah! You were SOMEBODY if you paid the extra two bucks to step up from Pro-fected nylon!!! Vantage in any of the 'box' construction rackets(Yamaha, Head AA Comp, Rossi R40/RT) was HORRIBLE to string. It was like trying to stuff cotton through those shared holes lined with foam! That's one reason stringers latched on to strings like Leoina 66 and 77...much easier to taper the end of the string and get it through the shared holes!
Ah, the good old days!!! :)

Don't Let It Bounce
02-22-2010, 04:42 PM
I remember a 1977 conversation with a friend at summer camp, when we sat down to hash out the serious business of The Perfect Racquet and The Perfect String. (My, how times have changed...)

We agreed that we most coveted the Yonex Carbonex 8 (the dark green one; we didn't know there was a black one) strung with Blue Star! And, 13-yr-old hacks that we were, it was a matter of Cool Factor and naught else.

I remember oil-filled strings, too. I was tempted, but I don't think I ever tried any.

joe sch
02-22-2010, 05:46 PM
The blue star worked great for me ... since I was buying my own rackets and strings in High School, I would buy the garcia 240 and blue star strings. I was a little jealous of my friends whose parents bought them JK prostaffs and victor gut but it did not matter in the matches :)

teachingprotx
02-22-2010, 05:52 PM
i faintly remember a racket in the 80's that had a "oil like substance' IN THE FRAME.. i believe its main marketed concept was the solution would move to the head when swinging ,giving you extra power or more shock absorbtion...never played with it just remember the first time i read about was in tennis magazine in one of their racket review editions.. sidenote that was also the first time i read/saw the Asahi Bones shoes!!!

god i miss the late 80's:)

teachingprotx
02-22-2010, 05:57 PM
wow..i had a heck of a time restringing a freinds rossi f200 yesterday...i use a babolat constant pull machine at my club and barely had enough room for the sidearms to hold the racket in place...finally with alot of manueverin' i got it..but im glad i didnt have to string it tight otherwise im afraid i wouldve cracked that puppy.. anyone else have that problem???:???:

Ripper014
02-22-2010, 09:10 PM
Actually I was asking about this string a few months back... and a polster here came to my rescue... Yes I remember Blue Star... and Blue Star Nova... Hy-O-Sheep... Leonia 66 Graphite a black string and when Imperial Gut cost $17 strung.

Thanks to this polster I have Blue Star in my racket now... hybrid with BAM 18L in the crosses, it plays great and unravelling just like gut. The only downside is that it is a 15L string... and I the feel of thin strings. But all in all... it is playing great... I feel all nostalgic everytime I hit a tennis ball with it. My Prostaff Tour 90 is strung with the Blue Star 15L in my mains at 64lbs and BAM 18L in my crosses at 60lbs. Great mix...

Bud
02-22-2010, 11:45 PM
I think you can still buy Blue star strings, but I'm not sure if it's the same stuff as the original. :)

Yeah... forget who was selling it (think it was H olabird) but I have a package or two left. The current version is in a opaque foil package.

Rabbit
02-23-2010, 05:17 AM
Oh yeah! You were SOMEBODY if you paid the extra two bucks to step up from Pro-fected nylon!!! Vantage in any of the 'box' construction rackets(Yamaha, Head AA Comp, Rossi R40/RT) was HORRIBLE to string. It was like trying to stuff cotton through those shared holes lined with foam! That's one reason stringers latched on to strings like Leoina 66 and 77...much easier to taper the end of the string and get it through the shared holes!
Ah, the good old days!!! :)

Yeah, we all bought Vantage II because it had the blue spiral and most resembled gut... :)

and yeah, compared to today's string it sucked.......verily....

meowmix
02-23-2010, 02:23 PM
I actually still have half a set of Blue Star that Bud gave me. I strung up the other half set about 2 weeks ago.

dataseviltwin
03-01-2010, 06:01 AM
it's still in at least one of my Kramer auto's on the wall... String I can't remember was black and supposedly had graphite it it - switched from blue star to it before eventually going hybrid... any ideas out there on the black stuff?

adidasman
03-01-2010, 07:00 AM
Never used it - too bloody ugly. There was Gold Star, though, and I did use that - once I moved beyond Leoina 66. :)

coachrick
03-01-2010, 07:54 AM
it's still in at least one of my Kramer auto's on the wall... String I can't remember was black and supposedly had graphite it it - switched from blue star to it before eventually going hybrid... any ideas out there on the black stuff?

Well, NOW you've done it! I'll be thinking about that black string all day! I have Blue Star in a Rawlings TieBreaker, original Graphite Edge and a YY8500--all must not have been used much since the strings are still intact and actually show little wear.

My original Prince Graphite has a black 'graphite' string, I believe. It has a very faint gold spiral(and slightly rough texture) and it really brings back memories but I can't think of the name. There were various black strings around the late '70s/early '80s. There was a Gra-fil(sp?) back then as well as a string that Prince killed off because of its popularity(!)...black 16ga Prince Nylon. It was a very basic nylon but was so popular because of the black color, matching the most popular rackets of the time...Prince Pro, Graphite, Head Graphite Edge, Sting, Cobra, Black/Silver Ace, et al. When Prince introduced the original PSG, the black Prince Nylon was too popular(already selling at the price of a 'basic nylon') and actually hurt the sales of the new Synthetic. Most nylons of the day were 15 or 15L gauge but the black was a nice-playing 16ga, held tension well and was fairly durable. Suddenly, it was not available. They couldn't 're-badge' it and sell it as 'synthetic' so it just went away.

I can't tell you how many hundreds of sets of black Prince Nylon I installed in frames purchased at Ellman's, Richway, and other 'discount' retailers in Atlanta in 1980/81.

max
03-01-2010, 09:05 AM
I used to love Gutex Graphite. I used to use Blue Star, too, and last year bought a pack and tried to string it using my Klippermate. . . it was a bad idea since the string construction left absolutely nothing for my string jaw to grab onto; the whole stuff just stretched out like gooey taffy.

coachrick
03-01-2010, 10:25 AM
I used to love Gutex Graphite. I used to use Blue Star, too, and last year bought a pack and tried to string it using my Klippermate. . . it was a bad idea since the string construction left absolutely nothing for my string jaw to grab onto; the whole stuff just stretched out like gooey taffy.

Yes! Gutex! We would get some samples at the Tennis Show in Miami and just couldn't get over how different it was. Another one that was popular until the early '80s was Winn...now selling the heck out of golf grips.

dataseviltwin
03-08-2010, 06:31 AM
I think the one I was thinking of was Gutex... had a multi-filament "wanting real hard to be black gut" texture... good stuff (at least in comparison with Blue Star [appropriately abbreviated BS... ;-) ), which lost tension after about 2 weeks...).

firefox
03-08-2010, 08:42 AM
My favorite black string in that era was Winfield Major black/gold graphite. At $6 it was a little too expensive for me at that time. :(

PBODY99
03-08-2010, 03:52 PM
Don't forget Blue Star Nova.