PDA

View Full Version : Stretching a leather grip.

grover
02-22-2010, 05:18 PM
Heard this term used to make the grip thinner. Do they mean while putting it on the racket or before? If before how is it done?

kingdaddy41788
02-22-2010, 05:19 PM
Just pull it extra tight while putting it on and it will be a little thinner.

Shamgod
02-24-2010, 08:46 PM
Does putting a wilson pro overgrip on top of a leather grip increase/decrease/keep the same the handle size vs. having a babolat syntec grip with a wilson pro on top?

SplitStepper
02-24-2010, 08:56 PM
depends on the thickness of the leather. TW sells two types.

Shamgod
02-24-2010, 09:11 PM
depends on the thickness of the leather. TW sells two types.

would 1.3 decrease and 1.5 stay the same?
how thick is the average replacement grip?

why does the width of the grip matter? will the leather have dips when wrapped or will it be consistent?

CHOcobo
02-24-2010, 09:20 PM
take a hammer and beat the crap out of it. i did it with the TW leather, helped a lot for my big 3/8".

davey
02-24-2010, 09:23 PM
You can shave off the back side to make it thinner. Leather shops will have the tools or you can try using a regular razor since you aren't going to be taking off very much.

Shamgod
02-24-2010, 09:24 PM
i just want to buy a leather grip to replace my syntec grip. I want to try and keep the grip the same size and i will be using a wilson pro grip so should i buy a 1.3mm or 1.5mm grip?

thanks

HitItHarder
02-25-2010, 06:23 AM
Personally, I felt when I used a 1.3mm TW leather grip the grip felt smaller. I was replacing a Head Hydrosorb grip, which is on the thicker side.

I switched to the 1.5mm TW leather grip and it felt very close to the original synthetic grip. However, it still feels different since the grip is harder and the bevels and feedback when hitting are more pronouced.

If you want the same grip size as the synthetic, my experience is the 1.5mm is closer than the 1.3mm.

Shamgod
02-25-2010, 11:59 AM
Personally, I felt when I used a 1.3mm TW leather grip the grip felt smaller. I was replacing a Head Hydrosorb grip, which is on the thicker side.

I switched to the 1.5mm TW leather grip and it felt very close to the original synthetic grip. However, it still feels different since the grip is harder and the bevels and feedback when hitting are more pronouced.

If you want the same grip size as the synthetic, my experience is the 1.5mm is closer than the 1.3mm.

ok thanks
i guess i'll try the 1.5mm one then
does the width matter at all?
some replacement grips have dips and others are the same thickness throughout.
does leather have dips or is it consitent in thickness throughout the handle?

Shamgod
02-25-2010, 12:04 PM
does leather have grooves like this gamma grip does?
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Gamma_Hi_Tech_Perforated_Black/descpageACGAMMA-GHTPBK.html

can you feel the overlap on leather if there's an overgrip on top of it?
because if you can't would width matter at all?

HitItHarder
02-25-2010, 12:25 PM
ok thanks
i guess i'll try the 1.5mm one then
does the width matter at all?
some replacement grips have dips and others are the same thickness throughout.
does leather have dips or is it consitent in thickness throughout the handle?

does leather have grooves like this gamma grip does?
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Gamma_Hi_Tech_Perforated_Black/descpageACGAMMA-GHTPBK.html

can you feel the overlap on leather if there's an overgrip on top of it?
because if you can't would width matter at all?

I prefer the wider grip because I use a tournagrip and can feel some small "dips" or overlap in the grip. I have used both widths and the larger width seems to give a more uniform flat surface (which I prefer).

Shamgod
02-25-2010, 12:37 PM
I prefer the wider grip because I use a tournagrip and can feel some small "dips" or overlap in the grip. I have used both widths and the larger width seems to give a more uniform flat surface (which I prefer).

ok thanks
i want to make the grip more uniform and not have grooves and dips