PDA

View Full Version : Rehab Stringing for a Mag Pro?

Don't Let It Bounce
02-22-2010, 04:23 PM
I just received a strung Magnesium Pro 110 whose head was slightly elongated into a Prestige 600-like shape. I cut the crosses first and noticed that the racquet instantly returned to a normal Prince shape, but when I cut the mains it reverted to the distorted oval.

What's my best chance of fixing this thing?

1. Let it lie without strings a few months? (I've seen too many permanently distorted Mag Pros to think that would help.)

2. String it with mains only and let it stay that way a few weeks? Tension?

3. String the mains tighter than the crosses and play with it? How much tighter?

CoachRick, have you had experience trying anything like this?

joe sch
02-22-2010, 04:37 PM
I would try stringing the mains so that the correct mag pro shape is returned and then stringing the crosses at a tenision that does not change this shape. This may mean the crosses are strung looser than desired but atleast the correct shape will be restored. This combination may also help produce extra topspin since the looser crosses will allow the mains to slide more.

retrowagen
02-22-2010, 04:39 PM
I just received a strung Magnesium Pro 110 whose head was slightly elongated into a Prestige 600-like shape. I cut the crosses first and noticed that the racquet instantly returned to a normal Prince shape, but when I cut the mains it reverted to the distorted oval.

1. Let it lie without strings a few months? (I've seen too many permanently distorted Mag Pros to think that would help.)

3. String the mains tighter than the crosses and play with it? How much tighter?

As an engineer, I can report that typically, once metal is bent (and this racquet's main frame is made of extruded magnesium alloy stock) or fatigued to the point of deformation, it tends not to want to go back to its original shape. It is under its own spring tension, of sorts; the phenomenon is commonly referred to as "metal memory."

I doubt that any remedial stringing scheme can bring about a satisfactory remediation, sorry.

Don't Let It Bounce
02-23-2010, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the replies. The good news is that there is apparently nothing to be lost by trying lower-tension crosses.

Man, these things always did get bent out of shape faster than a teenage TT poster in a Fed/Nadal discussion. I should have trusted my first reaction when I saw the photo of this Mag Pro; it seemed too oval then. But, all the distorted Mag Pros I've seen were distorted other ways, so I put it down to camera angle and rolled the dice.

coachrick
02-23-2010, 06:05 PM

Depending on your machine, you could 'allow' the main string installation to re-shape the hoop by doing the opposite of what used to be referred to as 'pre-loading' the frame(actually stretching the hoop--especially on Prince Classics and Prince Pros). This pre-loading was most easily accomplished on machines like the Prince P series and early Babolat machines that allowed you to draw the hoop lengthwise by way of the screw-mounting posts at 6 and/or 12 o'clock...WHEW!

You could very loosely mount the frame---even leaving the smallest space for the hoop to 'collapse' into shape, install the mains very carefully, snug up the mounting after the mains are in and then install the crosses...a lower cross-string tension wouldn't hurt at this point(say, 5# lower).

Heck, we had temperamental players who would 're-smash' their aluminum frames on the opposite side of the initial slam and restring and head for the courts! Metal rackets are SO forgiving :) !!!

Of course, as retro pointed out, this is likely to be temporary...but it sure wouldn't be the first time it was done to a Mag Pro. Good luck! (Actually, I have a YY Glaflex--aluminum wrapped in fibreglas--that is going to undergo some 'tweaking' when I attempt to 'string it back into shape'. Heck, stringing is more art than science!!!)

Don't Let It Bounce
03-22-2010, 04:13 PM
You could very loosely mount the frame---even leaving the smallest space for the hoop to 'collapse' into shape, install the mains very carefully, snug up the mounting after the mains are in and then install the crosses...a lower cross-string tension wouldn't hurt at this point(say, 5# lower).I ended up trying this on my Gamma X2 (for the uninitiated, a very basic dropweight), and I can report a qualified success. I set the mains at 62; however, besides the usual tension loss from floating clamps, there was loss on at least two of the mains from the frame giving so much that the machine could not fully tension the string! I strung the crosses at 50, and she's nicely rounded again.

However, I think I detect just the slightest hint of the Mag Pro Flat Top Syndrome, which is the distortion I saw the most of back in the day. It's not enough to restring, but if I ever do, I'll try increasing both cross and main tension at 10 & 2 to keep that upper hoop rounded.

On a side note, after a quarter-century the trauma of stringing a bloody Mag Pro, even when not reshaping, had been mercifully blocked from my memory. If I'm ever put in charge of punishing tour players who abuse linespeople, I'll skip the fines and instead make them thread mains through Mag Pro plastic throat pieces. Blindfolded. With used 15g natural gut.

coachrick
03-22-2010, 07:12 PM
On a side note, after a quarter-century the trauma of stringing a bloody Mag Pro, even when not reshaping, had been mercifully blocked from my memory. If I'm ever put in charge of punishing tour players who abuse linespeople,

I'll skip the fines and instead make them thread mains through Mag Pro plastic throat pieces. Blindfolded. With used 15g natural gut.

Oh, I remember! Sometimes you just had to walk away from the machine and come back as though you didn't care...then sneak up on it and slide 'er in!

And why did they make the string channel so shallow? Even a perfect string job with anything thick(like Leoina 66) would allow the string to stand proud of the top of the channel, exposing the string to the first strike against the court while digging out a low backhand volley! Never mind after the frame was worn down a bit! The Precision of the day was a similar headache! :)