PDA

View Full Version : How To Stop Eyeglasses Fogging Up?

Xenakis
02-24-2010, 01:43 PM
I've recently started wearing glasses on court. Sports ones with a polycarbonate shield infront of a standard RX insert with prescription lenses.

I haven't worn glasses since I was a kid and I'm a bit stuck for ways of stopping the lenses from fogging up. This tends to happen when it's cold and when I'm returning serve as I'm crouched forward and my breath seems to fog up the lenses.

I know there are some commerically available anti-fogging spray and cloths and some people recommend saliva (this doesn't seem to work for me) also some lenses are already coated with an anti-fog solution (mine aren't.)

Any tips appreciated.

Also wondering if some anti-fogging solutions can damage prescription lenses or polycarbonate etc.

Standupnfall
02-24-2010, 01:54 PM
I cant play in glasses, I have to wear my contacts.

For my motorcycle helmet shields which I believe are polycarbonate I use straight carnauba car wax which helps with the fogging a lot. Never tried it on any kind of glasses but it works great for me year round on the bike.

Xenakis
02-24-2010, 02:11 PM
^^^Thanks Standupnfall, I might have to get some stuff for the polycarbonate shields and something else for the prescription lenses.

Think there is a ski shop nearby which sells anti fog cloths for goggles etc, might have to give that a try. Concerned about damaging the shields/lenses though.

dennis10is
02-24-2010, 02:12 PM
Do you have an additional anti glare coating on your glasses?

This is a permanent coating that you can select when you purchase your eyeglasses.

This anti-glare coating makes is more vulnerable to smudges and fogging. Some people want it for cosmetic reasons but it is not helpful when you are active.

I've decided to order all of mine without the anti-glare.

There are anti-fog sprays that may help but I never found these to be effective for long.

Do you want to spray something on your glasses at every change over?

Try to never put your hand in front of your face/nose/mouth when you adjust/push up your glasses. Reach up on the side/temple area. It prevent your breath from being re-directed up and back towards your glasses. This helps a little.

Xenakis
02-24-2010, 02:22 PM
Don't think there is any anti-glare coating. They are fine when I'm just walking down the road etc, it's just when it's cold and I'm playing tennis.

Must be my breath as I'm breathing more heavily, especially when about to serve or returning serve after a rally.

Just ordered some anti-fog wax so I'll give that a try, might work for the polycarbonate shields anyway (shouldn't do any damage to the prescription lenses hopefully.)

jcstennis
02-24-2010, 03:47 PM
.. yup, i do a lot of snorkeling... and there are products that will take care of the fog... including saliva (i do spit in my goggles, but after i apply some anti-fog) :)

rich s
02-24-2010, 05:26 PM
Used to use a product called "Cat Crap".

It was an anti-fog paste you wipe on your lenses to prevent them from fogging......

not sure if it's available in the UK.....

Xenakis
02-25-2010, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the suggestions chaps. Picked up a 'no-fog cloth' from a ski shop today made by a company called Smith.

The cloth is basically dry, I thought it might be damp with solution but apparently not. You breathe on the lens and then wipe with the cloth.

It did the trick, I played for about 2 hours in the cold and rain and didn't have to wipe my glasses once. They did fog up a bit towards the end but it cleared again as soon as I started moving (tends to happen when I'm returning serve or looking down bouncing the ball before I serve.)

Pleased. Hopefully the stuff won't harm the lenses. I've noticed an oily sort of stuff on the poly shield when I hold it to the light but you can't see it when you're wearing it so it's all good so far.

Xenakis
02-25-2010, 01:47 PM
Here it is, pretty cheap too (only $2 in the US)

http://www.rei.com/product/435490

mark999
02-26-2010, 07:09 PM
there are some specialty anti fog products for paint ball polycarbonate face shields that work extremely well. high cost but excellent results.

BobFL
02-26-2010, 07:55 PM
Get high quality lenses like Essilor. I use their top of the line version and I have zero problems. FYI, I paid $300 for a pair...

PumpProbe
02-27-2010, 01:36 AM
Never tried it myself, but soap water should work.

meowmix
02-27-2010, 08:10 AM
Good old spit will help with the fogging.