PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for applying for scholarships at colleges

redfred
02-24-2010, 09:01 PM
Hey guys i am currently a junior in highschool and have begun looking at colleges. and im very much hoping to get a scholarship for tennis to a good school.since colleges cant approach students until senior year i wanted to make the first move. are there any tips you can give me for how you went about contacting universities and coaches at different school.your thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated.

sincerely, redfred

TennisTaxi
02-25-2010, 09:03 PM
Hey guys i am currently a junior in highschool and have begun looking at colleges. and im very much hoping to get a scholarship for tennis to a good school.since colleges cant approach students until senior year i wanted to make the first move. are there any tips you can give me for how you went about contacting universities and coaches at different school.your thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated.

sincerely, redfred

Check out the team pages at tennisrecruiting.net, then start e-mailing coaches, the sooner the better. If you are a USTA player with a ranking you should show up. You can also check out the coaches who are looking at you under the Coaches Visits portion of your profile. This is a great toold to look at teams and to see if any school you may not know of has been looking at you.

10isDad
02-26-2010, 03:50 AM
You might additionally want to check out the NCAA website, as their list of teams has direct links to the member schools athletic pages.

D-I link: http://web1.ncaa.org/onlineDir/exec/sponsorship?sortOrder=0&division=1&sport=MTE

D-II link: http://web1.ncaa.org/onlineDir/exec/sponsorship?sortOrder=0&division=2&sport=MTE

D-III link: http://web1.ncaa.org/onlineDir/exec/sponsorship?sortOrder=0&division=3&sport=MTE

Their site also has the added ability of sorting the teams by name, conference, state or region, which is helpful.

eeytennis
02-26-2010, 05:59 AM

sincerely, redfred

Just shoot them an e-mail saying that you are interested in attending the school and give them a little background on your tennis accomplishments, ranking, etc. But don't go too overboard because nothing turns a coach off more than arrogance (even if you aren't really that kind of person, you just don't want to be perceived in that way). Ask for more information about the school, etc.

Good luck!

goran_ace
02-26-2010, 07:07 AM
Coaches will scout out the high school boys state tournaments, and the major sectional/national usta tournaments, but for the most part you are going to have to make the initial contact with coaches. I would recommend you highlight your tennis accomplishments not skills. So you want to list your usta rankings, results in majortournaments, or at minimum say something like 'I played 4 years of varsity tennis, qualified for state as a junior with record of xx-x .' Some kids say things like that they can hit a 100+ mph serve and have a big forehand, but that info is pretty much useless.

Also, ask your personal coach or high school coach or atheltic director to write you a short letter of recommendation to attach.

Finally, the NCAA severely limits scholarships for men's tennis so realize that there isn't normally a lot of money available - coaches tend to to spread it around so there mostly 1/4 and 1/2 scholarships and very rarely does anyone geta full. So work on keeping your grades up, prepare for your SATs/ACTs to try to get academic scholarships and research for other scholarship opportunities.

dekko1
03-16-2010, 05:56 AM
Coaches will scout out the high school boys state tournaments, and the major sectional/national usta tournaments, but for the most part you are going to have to make the initial contact with coaches. I would recommend you highlight your tennis accomplishments not skills. So you want to list your usta rankings, results in majortournaments, or at minimum say something like 'I played 4 years of varsity tennis, qualified for state as a junior with record of xx-x .' Some kids say things like that they can hit a 100+ mph serve and have a big forehand, but that info is pretty much useless.

Also, ask your personal coach or high school coach or atheltic director to write you a short letter of recommendation to attach.

Finally, the NCAA severely limits scholarships for men's tennis so realize that there isn't normally a lot of money available - coaches tend to to spread it around so there mostly 1/4 and 1/2 scholarships and very rarely does anyone geta full. So work on keeping your grades up, prepare for your SATs/ACTs to try to get academic scholarships and research for other scholarship opportunities.

This is a very wise advice. Another thing you can do, is to visit any university that you are interested in. I see that you live in St. Louis, there are quite a few universities that are within driving distance from you; get in touch with the coaches and take a trip if both you and them are interested.

tennis08tarheels
03-16-2010, 06:34 PM
If you're a DI-type player check out Wash U in St. Louis. I guarantee you'll receive better instruction there than at any DI school in the area, you'll be part of one of the top 5 DIII programs in the nation, you'll play in the NCAA tournament every year and you'll get a great education.

And no, I have no ties to Wash U.

tennismom42
03-18-2010, 08:39 PM

sincerely, redfred

Do the 15-minute college search on collegeboard.com first. It will give you a screen where you can select D1 tennis, D2 tennis, etc. Mind the # at the top of the page. As you're going through each screen, the # will go down. That # is the # of colleges in your search. This is a better method to find colleges. Then focus on them for scholarships. You can contact them anytime. They can't contact you until June 1 between your Junior & Senior year. Best to sign by November.

Too many people search for tennis program that has a college. Do it the right way instead. It's best to find the right college that has a tennis program.

goran_ace
03-19-2010, 06:02 AM
If you're a DI-type player check out Wash U in St. Louis. I guarantee you'll receive better instruction there than at any DI school in the area, you'll be part of one of the top 5 DIII programs in the nation, you'll play in the NCAA tournament every year and you'll get a great education.

And no, I have no ties to Wash U.

I do have ties to WashU. Most people that go there have no idea they even have a tennis program, much less a top 5 ranked program. People care more about the fact that they are ranked #12 for academics on the US News National Universities list (that's the big list with Harvard and Princeton at #'s 1 and 2, not the liberal arts list with the smaller schools) so you better have top-notch SAT and GPA numbers if you want to apply. Also, it is on the more expensive end of the tuition range ($37,800/year).

Edit: just read that the OP is from STL so I guess he knows this all this already.

MIGHTY MANFRED THE WONDER
03-20-2010, 12:15 PM
You might want to be careful what you wish for. Unless, of course, you are a women or a foreigner.
Washington- St Louis good, solid, expensive school......If you can keep your grades up and commit to all that tennis team requires- You are a better man than I am, sacrificing your college years, your college experiances for (maybe) $10(k).

Morfin
03-22-2010, 09:56 AM
Most money is in academic scholarships, get great grades and you will get more money.