PDA

View Full Version : Settings for Playmate Volley?

myservenow
02-25-2010, 12:47 PM
I bought a Playmate Volley at the end of last year. I like it a lot but didn't do much by way of experimenting with different drills it might allow me to do.

Up to this point, all I have really done is the two-line forehand then backhand (or vice-versa). Obviously, I've monkeyed around a little with increasing the speeds or spins as well.

Maybe that is all the machine really does. But I was wondering if anyone out there has particular settings they use to create certain drills with this machine? (This includes setting up the machine at different areas of the court).

Particularly, I am curious what setting others use to hit overheads. I haven't put in a lot of effort, but so far, I have to take the machine far behind the baseline, cranked the black height knob as far as it will turn, and then turn the speed knob down fairly low. Otherwise, the machine shoots out lobs that go 100 yards in the air, clear over the back fence, with the most wicked spin you've ever seen. Or, it shoots them way too low (but still way too far out).

Any help is appreciated.

MonkeyMuggs
02-26-2010, 07:50 AM
I can't speak or heip you with specific settings, but there is a teaching professional on staff at Playmate who has designed specific drills for use with Playmate (and other) ball machines. This guy and his drills are well known around the world. He teaches clubs and pros how to utilize and coach using ball machines. There are free video clips on Playmate's website showing some of these specific "ball machine" drills. One of them, I think, showed how you can re-position and/or move the machine around the court for more realistic and effective practice.

Playmate is an outstanding machine and company. One call to them and I'm sure they can and will assist you with whatever specific settings you need or want.

Good Luck and enjoy your ball machine.