PDA

View Full Version : Gasquet, Nadal, Mofils

donnyz89
05-02-2005, 01:48 PM
three great talent... who will likely to reach #1 first? im not saying they WILL or they WONT but who is the closest?

I think it could be Gasquet, it will be a long shot but it could be done. hes doing very well, moving up the rankings very fast and defeated Federer in 3 sets(was it?) unlike Nadal.

but statiscally speaking, Nadal will be the closest. but he have to get over the Fed hump.

its not just beating someone good, it also helps your confidence by a lot, and for a physically talented player like Gasquet, a little confidence would be the only thing missing from his greatness.

Chloe
05-02-2005, 02:06 PM
and defeated Federer in 3 sets(was it?) unlike Nadal.

Nadal beat Federer last year. In 2 sets. Furthermore, Nadal's match against Fed this year had much bigger stakes than Gasquet's did. Not to mention that fact that the two matches were played on different surfaces.

Not to take away from Gasquet's win, it was a great match :)

Misiti99
05-02-2005, 02:18 PM
I think we shall wait and see for two things....How Gasquet, Monfils, and Nadal do at the French. Nadal has proved himself already by winning multiple tournaments, losing in 5 tight sets to Fed...beating Fed the year before..and losing in 5 sets to Hewitt in the rnd of 16 at the Australian. What has Gasquet done on hardcourt so far?
Federer in an interview after the match against Gasquet, said that Gasquet seemed to go for from an extreme pusher game..to all out hitting winners....

"ROGER FEDERER: Well, I couldn't quite understand the way he was playing. You know, in the beginning he was rather pushing the ball. In the second, he was just hitting clean winners all the time."
"It was just a very okay performance, you know, by my side."

Roger later went on to challenge his credibility on hardcourt.
So something interesting to see...how the three players mentioned fare on Hardcourt. Personally..Nadal has prove himself to be able to hang in with the hardcourt players..and I also think Monfils with his big serve and forehand..will also..once he gains experience and his mentally ready.

Chloe
05-02-2005, 02:30 PM
Nadal has proved that he can "hang" with Hewitt. Of course, he's never beaten him, and that would be the the next logical step. Beyond that he has much to prove on hardcourts still, yes.

TwistServe
05-02-2005, 03:10 PM
but statiscally speaking, Nadal will be the closest. but he have to get over the Fed hump.

You just started watching tennis? Nadal beat federer last year and was one of the few people to have beaten federer since. He also took federer to 5 sets recently but ran out of gas, he'll know what he needs to do next time.

Gasquet has shown he has lots of potential but he needs consistent wins before we can really talk about his possible #1.. As for nadal, he's so close to #1 I can't see it not happening this year. Gasquet has a good two years before he'll be a #1 contender unless he wins a slam. He simply doesn't have direct entry to master series and will have to go through qualifies for a while before his ATP entry race ranking is high enough.

spinbalz
05-02-2005, 03:21 PM
I think that it won't take more than 1 month from now for Gasquet to reach a good enough ranking to have direct entries in the master series

Boy Wonder
05-02-2005, 03:57 PM
Of course no doubting three great talents, but Nadal will be the first to reach #1, he is so close already. He absolutely has proven he can hang with the big dogs. Gasquet has shown some sparks of getting there, but like people have said he needs to get more consistent play. Monfils is great too, but I think he needs more experience. Nadal's style of play is what I see that can take he to #1 first, his game and mentality is mature for his age. IMHO, Nadal has the most athleticism out of all three which can only help also.

Kobble
05-02-2005, 03:58 PM
Nadal is a bonafied climber. He will reach any position inside the top 20 first.

tykrum
05-02-2005, 04:11 PM
Seriously, Nadal has a great shot to be #1 in the Challenger race very soon. I mean very soon like within the month. He is 110 points behind Federer in the race, there are 100 points to be won in Roma (where he has to be the favorite right now) with no Federer there. He could easily overtake Federer in the next clay court event, and possibly put some distance between himself and everyone else during the French if he has a great result. It sounds hard to believe (I'm having trouble believing that I am typing it), but it is very possible. Then there is the fact that Nadal could rise very high quickly in the 52-week rankings because he has no points to defend for this entire period of the year. Anyway, the other two are projects, Nadal is already elite.

VamosRafa
05-02-2005, 05:14 PM
When you consider one guy is already Top 10, and the others are still needing to qualify or get wildcards into most events, it does seem a bit early to make serious comparisons.

morganman
05-02-2005, 05:57 PM
nadal did beat federer in straights but federer was sick and not even going to play the tournament but did for the points a win is a win but i wouldnt say it was that impressive of a win federer sick is like agassi on a good day lol.

VamosRafa
05-02-2005, 06:04 PM
nadal did beat federer in straights but federer was sick and not even going to play the tournament but did for the points a win is a win but i wouldnt say it was that impressive of a win federer sick is like agassi on a good day lol.

So Gasquet should have no problem with Agassi on Wednesday???

K!ck5w3rvE
05-03-2005, 02:18 AM
Gasquet vs Fed was on Rich's fave surface. Nadal had to Fed on hardcourt, and Fed has won the Aus Open and US Open....fiarly good h/court player. If Nadal plays Fed on clay...Fed will get cut to pieces. Rafa almost beat him on h/c....so he'd cut him up on clay.