PDA

View Full Version : Volkl Tour 9 V

tennishead
02-23-2004, 08:17 AM
I played with this racquet for a second time yesterday. It is a great tweener racquet. Power, accuracy, and control! It is a tad bit longer than my TiRad and 200G HM, so I was more used to it the second go around. Serves, groundies, and volleys were all enjoyable. Easy to swing at 306 SW, but very stable @ 11.5 oz. My racquet is strung with IntelliTour 17 At 56 lbs.

Michael Musok
02-25-2004, 06:36 AM
You've got me just a little curious. The Tour 9 V is supposed to be standard length, 27 inches, yet you say it is a little longer than your other standard length racquets. Do you think the Volkl is something like 27 1/4 or what?

tennishead
02-25-2004, 07:00 AM
Yes, about 1/4 inch longer than my Ti Rad

NoBadMojo
02-25-2004, 02:48 PM
I just got in the V-Engine and have it strung but have not yet hit with it. If requested, I would be happy to give my impressions of this frame. I'm a 5.0+ all courter and part time teaching pro currently using the Tour10MP. I've got this bad boy strung w. my normal gut hybrid at 58 pounds. This racquet is standard length. It is marked as such and is the same length as my T10mp's. The graphics are stunning in my opinion. A mixture of glossy black and orange and matte silver and the v throat doesnt look stupid to me, but it has the illusion of being wider than 22mm. Here are the specs printed right on the frame
98 in2, 10.9oz, 1.1IN-HL, 22mm, 18x20
and for the non US folks
630cm2, 310gm
Hope this clarifies.
Oh this racquet seems to be more of a twanger than a thudder if ya know what I mean :)..but maybe it will play like a thudder..I hope so
Ed

bcaz
02-25-2004, 05:08 PM
Ed, please post your impressions when you get a chance. Thanks.
BC

Michael Musok
02-26-2004, 04:55 AM
Yo Ed, ditto on reporting your first impressions. I'd really like to hear what you think as far as comparisons between the Tour 10 MP and the Tour 9 V. I've been playing with the Tour 10 MP for about 6 months now but really interested in the Tour 9 V based on the specs. BTW, is this the proto type paint job that everybody has been raving about or the finished product paint job?

NoBadMojo
02-26-2004, 07:41 AM
Michael I have the reg production model. The weather here in sunny Florida isn't so sunny just now, but will post something just as soon as i can get my v-engine started. ;) I really dig my T10mp's for all around play, but am always looking for something to bump my serve and keep everything else the same. The t10 isnt a big serving frame IMO. I'm getting older and dont generate the head speed i used to so am hoping to accomplish this w. the v-engine,..now where's that sunshine...Ed

edge
02-27-2004, 10:41 AM
Why don't you try the Tour 10 V also? It would be good to hear comparisons from a Tour 10 Mid user, thanks.

coachrick
02-27-2004, 12:30 PM
Quite a difference between the Tour10 mid and M+...not sure that comparo would mean much (Tour 10M+ vs Tour 10 V). I have played both Tour 10mid and 9 V--the rackets have little in common other than too many strings for my taste. Tour 9 V is way lively and has little of the soft feel of the Tour 10mid or M+. Still very playable but nowhere near as soft as the original Tours, IMO.

NoBadMojo
02-29-2004, 08:16 AM
Rick is right in that you can not compare the V9 to the Tour10MP. I was very disappointed in this racquet from the spec and material point of view. It's rated by TW at a stiffness level of like 63 and the Tour10MP something like 62..the V-Engine9 plays much much stiffer than the Tour10mp. I was hoping that with the fiberglass in there, it would be more of a flexy frame. Also was hoping the sweetspot would be higher up in the frame as advertised because of the longer mains. i didnt think it was, and also think the tour10mp has a much more generous sweetspot. All that being said, I could learn to play well with this racquet but just didnt like the feel. It was great for groundstrokes even w. the lighter weight and served like crazy. I didnt think it volleyed well which was surprising. It was very controllable, good power, and solid but not comfortable. I would suggest this frame to someone that wants a control oriented stiffer lightweight frame..are their players out there like that?? i didnt play around w. lead..if i did, i would end up w. a tour10mp that felt sick :)anyway..thats my opinion..so much for fiberglass. Oh..the frame seemed to me more of a better playing Q10 or Tour9 IMO stiffness and feelwise. Also easy to spin the ball in spite of the 18x20 pattern. Ed