PDA

View Full Version : 10.2oz to 12oz... BIG difference??

dAgEnIuS
05-02-2005, 02:43 PM
I use Head i.extreme which weighs about 10.2oz...
I'm thinking of getting the Flexpoint Radical Tour due to its 100sq.in head size and an open string pattern...
but is the change between 10.2oz racket and 12oz racket make a BIG difference???
Do you guys think Flexpoint Radical, which weighs 11oz, would suit me more???
thx!!

barry
05-02-2005, 02:46 PM
I would go with the Flexpoint Tour, it has an open string pattern and weighs 12 ounces strung. Not a big deal to go up in weight, you will also go up in power and control.

eLterrible
05-02-2005, 02:48 PM
I dont really notice weight change unless the balance is really different, it's up to u, try it out.

Kaptain Karl
05-02-2005, 02:48 PM
Demo them both. Hit with each for a long while. If you notice your arm tiring or your timing falling apart, it could certainly be the weight change.

- KK

MChong
05-02-2005, 04:28 PM
I don't know; I went through a change like that... I went from a TT Hornet MP to a Tour Diablo Mid.

Gaines Hillix
05-02-2005, 04:50 PM
I use Head i.extreme which weighs about 10.2oz...
I'm thinking of getting the Flexpoint Radical Tour due to its 100sq.in head size and an open string pattern...
but is the change between 10.2oz racket and 12oz racket make a BIG difference???
Do you guys think Flexpoint Radical, which weighs 11oz, would suit me more???
thx!!

With that much difference, I'd recommend an extended demo before buying. For me that is a big difference. I really have to be on my A game to be effective with a 12 oz. frame. 11-11.5 oz. fits me much better. You'll need to try it for yourself, of course.

SC in MA
05-02-2005, 05:35 PM
Check the swing weights as well. I have a 12oz static weight racket that swings and plays lighter than my lighter static weight rackets that have higher swing weights. I now really pay attention to swing weights.

Also, I've found that the swing weights listed in the TW specs are usually pretty good in relative terms, at least for the rackets that I own. There's only one that I own that I would probably disagree with and its not off by all that much. However, I know that others have complained that the listed swing weights have not been accurate indicators for them.

dAgEnIuS
05-02-2005, 05:39 PM
I don't know; I went through a change like that... I went from a TT Hornet MP to a Tour Diablo Mid.

and what happened??

erik-the-red
05-02-2005, 05:40 PM
I recently added one and a half ounces to my TT Bandit from 10.0 to 11.5 ounces.

It was difficult at first, but then I got the hang of it after about 30-45 minutes.

Much easier on the arm due to head-light balance now.

Going up in weight won't be THAT much of a difference if you mentally go back to the basics of mechanics (e.g. low to high, etc.).

pchoi04
05-02-2005, 06:30 PM
I went from a 11.2oz racquet to a 12.3oz racquet and the diffence was pretty big for me. At first it seems alright just hitting ground strokes but once I played a match I knew it was to much for me. But I knew in the long run it would be better for me and could raise my game. Now I have no trouble with 12oz racquets and I've never played better. I would demo it first and play a few matches and see what its like.

bee
05-02-2005, 08:50 PM
I'm a big fan of heavier racquets. Harder for hard hitters to overpower you. Better for blocking defensive shots and easier on the arm for the most part. Much better for the volley! Much better! Better for drop shot. You can let the racquet do a good portion of the work on your drop and touch shots and concentrate more on execution and placement. Well, that's the way it feels to me. Current racquets of choice are PS 95 Original and Vantage 95, both with added lead over entire racquet to weight well over 12 oz. Probably more like 13 oz., not sure though. Oh, and hit the weights twice a week.

MChong
05-02-2005, 09:42 PM
Oh, sorry, I didn't finish my post. lol... Well, anyways, going from a 10oz frame to a 12oz frame didn't seem like much a difference for me. All I noticed was that the 12oz Diablo had less power and much more control, comfort, and feel. Actually, power-wise, I couldn't even see that much of a dropoff. It might just take a little bit of hitting to get used to - say 30 minutes.

But I'm all for getting a heavy racquet; you should really try it out. I suggest you try to find a frame that's as heavy as you can wield that remains comfortable; also make sure to be able to be able to wield it for around 3 sets, lol.

JEONG
05-02-2005, 10:32 PM
I wonder if you're ready for the change physically.
Your arm and especially, shoulder will tell you the difference.
Switching to heavier racquet or player racquet is one step advance but it could be a burden to your body also.

the_arod
05-02-2005, 10:39 PM
DAGENIUS, why do you want an 100 sq. inch with an open pattern?

montx
05-02-2005, 10:51 PM
Just for your info, i have swung around with the Flexpoint Radical MP Tour, it does feel, strangely light. But then this is my experience. Though at 12 oz or so the swingweight is quite low. Though the one i swung feels lower in swingweight than what the paper says.