PDA

View Full Version : Is this racquet any special?

robJAR
02-26-2010, 07:48 PM
http://www.woodtennisrackets.com/wtr_example2.jpg

It's the third from the right.. It's a spalding racquet.. The picture isn't mine, and I have a used one so i'm just asking for an honest opinion if it's worth any.

-robJAR

tennis005
02-26-2010, 08:07 PM
I dont think its worth too much but it is a unique looking frame.

coachrick
02-27-2010, 02:37 AM
The SpeedShaft was around in the mid-late 70s and was used by
Rosi Casals and Martina Navratilova for a while. They tended to yellow and crack/flake with use so one with a pristine finish might be worth a bit to those who 'know' the frame. It's not on my personal collection 'radar' but who knows?

galain
02-27-2010, 04:14 AM
Coach Rick

I'd love to know what's in your collection and what you hope to add. Seems like you've had an amazing life in retail tennis.

coachrick
02-27-2010, 07:43 AM
Coach Rick

I'd love to know what's in your collection and what you hope to add. Seems like you've had an amazing life in retail tennis.

Funny you should ask :) . I collected a few early 1900s rackets over the last couple of years we were in Atlanta but didn't start collecting more contemporary frames until we moved to central Texas just under two years ago. In hindsight, the tennis hotbed of Atlanta was more likely to 'contain' interesting rackets of the past 3-4 decades, given the shear number of players in the leagues(over 80,000 members belong to ALTA, the largest local tennis league in the universe).

As for my accumulation of rackets, I have a couple dozen rackets from the early 1900s, all interesting because of their age and construction, but with no personal connection to me. These make a rather eye-catching wall display. The other couple dozen rackets from the '60s through '80s are individually interesting to me, either from a personal use standpoint or a novel remembrance of those days. Examples include a low-end Pancho Gonzalez Spalding model that was the first model of racket that I owned(from Western Auto Stores, $5.65, IIRC). My college roommate and I both played the Arthur Ashe Comp II for a time so, of course, there is one of those. Also significant from the period are the multiple T2000 and T3000 models. Add in a Rawlings TieBreaker, original Prince Graphite, couple of Dura-fiber models, Durbin aluminum, original Sting, early Slazenger chromed steel model--not sure what it was called, Wilson Legacy, original Graphite Edge, and so on.

Lately, I've latched on to a few aluminum Yonex models of the '70s and early '80s...YY7500 and 8500(used by my brother and me), couple Glaflex, a few more aluminum models after they added the nylon throat piece, etc. These, along with a couple of Red Head Pros, are the rackets that I hit with most these days. Brings back memories of the good old days!

Don't let me forget the WonderWand Stinger, Gray Fox, PK Micro Mid prototype, and Volkl V3(first racket I ever gave to my darling wife). There are 10-20 more rather nondescript wood models from the '70s mostly. These should be returned to the wild to make room for others, I suppose. I passed up a Fischer Team and Donnay Allwood Lite(very warped but cosmetically excellent) along with another Kennex Bronze Ace just yesterday only because I don't want to collect just for the sake of accumulation. I suppose I'll add other interesting sticks as time goes on(...running out of wall space!) and I don't want to just stockpile rackets without displaying them.

I'm a bit envious of some of the more interesting and extensive collections shown here on TW; but, there's only so much room and I want to leave some interesting rackets 'out there' for others to appreciate :) . Pardon the long ramble. Adios.

pshulam
02-27-2010, 07:49 AM
but, there's only so much room and I want to leave some interesting rackets 'out there' for others to appreciate
Do you have pictures of your collection? It would be nice to show them.

coachrick
02-27-2010, 08:11 AM
Do you have pictures of your collection? It would be nice to show them.

Hah! I'm okay with a camera but not too keen on the whole 'upload/download and post' thing when it comes to pics. I'll see what I can scare up in a few days.

I'm going to try to move this over to the 'How many in your collection' thread.

robJAR
02-27-2010, 08:32 AM
Yes, please do. Haha i totally got bummed when i saw the number of replies and see that two of six posts actually have to do with the frame. ;)

-robJAR

coachrick
02-27-2010, 08:51 AM
Back to the SpeedShaft, I believe there were two colors, blue in addition to the red in the photo. If yours is used, look for cracks inside the throat where the bridge and hoop connect. That was a pretty weak area.

In the 70s, at least in the southeast US, Spalding was more of a 'sporting goods' name, enjoying great success in basketball, baseball and football. Spalding had a few 'pro shop' frames like the La Vitesse, Lotus One and Speedshaft. Snauwaert really was the higher end line and was more likely to be successful in a specialty tennis shop. As such, Spalding(at least for us) really faded with the switch to composites in the 70s. They had a bit of a roller coaster ride through the 80s with their affiliation with PTR-USA(Van Der Meer) and ATP. Just never caught hold as a 'pro shop' line after that.

robJAR
02-27-2010, 10:26 AM
I see no cracks. I have two of them, one with black stripes and another with blue stripes. I wonder if these will sell. Haha

-robJAR

pshulam
02-27-2010, 10:27 AM
Hah! I'm okay with a camera but not too keen on the whole 'upload/download and post' thing when it comes to pics. I'll see what I can scare up in a few days.

I'm going to try to move this over to the 'How many in your collection' thread.

I use Picasa for image storage. It's free and easy to use.

http://picasa.google.com/intl/en_us/

Steve Huff
02-27-2010, 10:36 AM
Personally, I like the other Spalding better--the Lotus. Those wood/graphite midsize rackets were among the most interesting eras in tennis rackets in my opinion. I wish I had kept some of the rackets I had in the past. I, too, had a Durbin aluminum. Should have picked up one of their graphite models, but it was only out for a short period before they went under. I had a Snauwaert Boronite II (which I think my wife threw out when we moved to Virginia, but swears she didn't) and a Garcia Graphite/wood. I played with the Ashe Comp I for a while, but it warped one day sitting in my dad's back seat. I played with the Yonex 8500 for a while too. Great racket. I wish I had picked up an Aldila Cannon, but I passed on one. Oh the memories.

Virginia
02-27-2010, 03:48 PM
The SpeedShaft was around in the mid-late 70s and was used by Rosi Casals and Martina Navratilova for a while. They tended to yellow and crack/flake with use so one with a pristine finish might be worth a bit to those who 'know' the frame. It's not on my personal collection 'radar' but who knows?
The Snauwaert Speedshaft is the valuable one - I bought one from Jens at 80s-tennis - it's truly magnificent!

Personally, I like the other Spalding better--the Lotus. Those wood/graphite midsize rackets were among the most interesting eras in tennis rackets in my opinion. I wish I had kept some of the rackets I had in the past. I, too, had a Durbin aluminum. Should have picked up one of their graphite models, but it was only out for a short period before they went under. I had a Snauwaert Boronite II (which I think my wife threw out when we moved to Virginia, but swears she didn't) and a Garcia Graphite/wood. I played with the Ashe Comp I for a while, but it warped one day sitting in my dad's back seat. I played with the Yonex 8500 for a while too. Great racket. I wish I had picked up an Aldila Cannon, but I passed on one. Oh the memories.
Yes, the Lotus is gorgeous - I think it's the most beautiful of all the Spalding racquets.

I've recently bought a Durbin Graphite (it's on its way to me now), I have the Yonex 7500 and 8500 and was lucky to get an Aldila Cannon in mint condition. Some of the old alumiium racquets are very interesting. I think the Slazenger coachrick is referring to, might be the Slazenger Plus. :)