PDA

View Full Version : Just Been To China, And Bought The Coolest Gadget!

tennis_ally2009
02-27-2010, 07:32 AM
Okay, so last week, i was trekking my way around China with my school, and bought this reaally cool gadget, that could be the evolution of tennis!

I've only used it once, and will post a video of me using it later.

It is a tennis ball attatched to a 2 and a half metre long elastic string, which is clipped on to a bag filled with stones, so it is very heavy :)

You hit the ball away from you, and the elastic makes it bounce back on th place you specified to hit it! So now you don't need someone else to play tennis with!

And i know some of you will say that this is exactly like a wall, but it is nothing like it because it doesn't make a difference if you hit it really hard.

And all of this for 10 pounds!

TA

Dino Lagaffe
02-27-2010, 07:48 AM
http://www.doittennis.com/images/lg/hit-a-way-powerbase-tennis-trainer.jpg

http://206.210.94.83/product/image/additional/agtt_additional.jpg

A little bit like those, then?

tennis_ally2009
02-27-2010, 07:52 AM
:oops:
Yeah, but there still awesome :)

Dino Lagaffe
02-27-2010, 08:01 AM
:oops:
Yeah, but there still awesome :)

Sure, no problem, glad you like it! These were a common sight in Sweden in the 80s. Kids would also make their own by attaching a elastic band to a stone or some bricks. I had one and used my mom's old Dunlop Explorer (?) wooden racquet. For more low tech tennis training I also hit against the garage door, like Borg did.

slice bh compliment
02-27-2010, 08:05 AM
I grew up with one back in the mid 70's. I think it was made/marketed by Tretorn...and they called it a Tennis Trainer or a Trainer Set? Anyone remember this? It was a red dome made of a heavy plastic or rubber iirc. I spent hours with that thing!
And also a wall.

I like the idea of the new ones you fill with something to give it stability, especially if you hit harder. I do remember outhitting that thing by the time I was playing 12s.

Thanks for sharing.

jwbarrientos
02-27-2010, 01:05 PM
hmmm, a video is coming, right?:oops:
can't imagine how it works.

pyrokid
03-08-2010, 05:33 PM
hmmm, a video is coming, right?:oops:
can't imagine how it works.

You hit the ball. It's attached to a small, heavy dome that rests on the ground by an elastic cord. The ball flies away, bounces, and the elastic pulls it back for another hit. Seems like a great idea.

Six.One.Tour.90FAN
03-08-2010, 08:51 PM
i believe there a UNIQue one in my garage.....lemmesee

psycho0
03-08-2010, 08:52 PM
Is it something like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USWncjyTPEc

OrangeOne
03-08-2010, 08:58 PM
Okay, so last week, i was trekking my way around China with my school, and bought this reaally cool gadget, that could be the evolution of tennis!

As others have pointed out - these were common in the 1980s. I must have received quite a few as christmas presents, and they were fun until I hit the ball off the elastic, which never took long.

The evolution of tennis. Every generation gets to feel like they invent everything....

nabbydian
03-09-2010, 03:19 AM
seriously i would rather play against the wall. It doesnt seems like something that can engage me long enough :neutral:

dekko1
03-09-2010, 10:52 AM
I had one of them around 1987.
As Nabbydian said, much better to hit against the wall.

chollyred
03-11-2010, 10:27 AM
I never had one for tennis, but did have one for golf. D@mn near broke my ankle after a purely struck drive. :oops:

Standupnfall
03-11-2010, 10:31 AM
I picked up the Unique one at a sporting goods store for $3 the other day.
My experience:
First 5 hits didnt make it back to me well, they kind skipped back and werent hittable, I realized I had to hit harder.
For my sixth shot i unloaded with a forehand and ball came back and hit me directly in the nuts.
7th shot the cord broke and the ball flew down the street.

Nuke
03-11-2010, 10:36 AM
The problem with these trainers is that the timing is different. On the tennis court, the ball is constantly decelerating from the moment your opponent hits it. With the trainer, the elastic makes the ball accelerate at you, so the timing is not at all the same.

KaZe
03-11-2010, 10:18 PM
I'd buy one of these if i didn't worry so muc about snapping the elastic after one hit.

retlod
03-12-2010, 12:41 PM
The problem with these trainers is that the timing is different. On the tennis court, the ball is constantly decelerating from the moment your opponent hits it. With the trainer, the elastic makes the ball accelerate at you, so the timing is not at all the same.

Wise grasshopper.

autumn_leaf
04-24-2010, 08:17 AM
I'd buy one of these if i didn't worry so muc about snapping the elastic after one hit.

agreed. maybe they should use a longer restistence band tubing, never had one of those snap on me. if they did this i would imagine this would be an alternative to a ball machine for a fraction of the price.

regarding the acceleration vs deceleration of the ball. i would imagine it would be helpful in windy conditions when balls are a lot faster off the ground. i always believe that training harder conditions will improve a person than training in easier ones. in this case training with an accelerating ball will help a person prep earlier so when they play a real match the ball will seem like it's going much slower. granted it will take time to adjust, but the human body is pretty darn good at adapting, so a proper warm up in a real match situation will be needed.