PDA

View Full Version : agassi's new strategy

big ted
05-02-2005, 03:46 PM
i dont think he thinks he can win big anymore on clay by wearing people down like he used to the spanish dirtballers will outhit him. his only option now is to be more aggressive, changing racquets , and going for more winners. he was highly erratic against grojean in houston and lost that match. in italy he got off to a slow start again but ended up hitting tons of winners and tons of unforced errors.

what do you think of his new strategy. can he win the french open like this ? mabye he thinks hes becoming too slow to grind out matches anymore. the players are able to outhit him sometimes too.

mabye hes going to start changing his game like connors did when he reached 35 and come to the net much more for i dont know if long points favor his game and body anymore esp on clay.

West Coast Ace
05-02-2005, 04:40 PM
Ted, I agree, more or less. If in addition to going for winners you also mean going for more depth then I totally agree. And not just on clay. In the match against Federer in Miami Federer pounced on shorter balls and took over the points. AA has nothing to lose - no one can take away his titles - might as well let it go - without going completely crazy.

BaseLineBash
05-02-2005, 05:12 PM
Big Ted, I more or less agree with you. I think Andre is at crossroads in terms of game play, New percentage Agassi vs. Old go for it early 90's Agassi. I feel tennis is very similar to boxing in that whether you are young or old you have to smell blood, you can't be civil...you have to be primal to win. I believe Andre has found a balance between the civil and the primitive in the past couple of years, but as of recent his scale balance isn't gonna get the job done and maybe he knows that and is gonna add some primitive weight. If he gets his head right everyone in the top 9 is in for some PUNISHMENT.

scoot
05-02-2005, 05:52 PM
I disagree. While the Agassi of very old (circa 1990) certainly was all flash, the successful Agassi of the mid/late 90s and of recent year was a different Agassi - one devoted to playing higher percentage tennis, wearing his opponents out before administering the knockout punch. If what you are saying is right, Agassi has very little chance on clay - he's taking himself out of his comfort zone by going for such low percentage shots. But at the same time, I agree that his normal game will not do it against the young dirtballers so he's in a catch-22.

BaseLineBash
05-02-2005, 07:43 PM
Scoot, I'm not talking Old go for it early 90's Agassi Flash, I'm talking about his Fearless mentality from the early 90's.

mucat
05-02-2005, 09:39 PM
In the old day, Agassi was more aggressive, he would go for a lot more winners. The current Agassi has a lot more patient, he plays high % really good, he can always pin the opponent at the back of the court, but I would like to see a little more aggressive shotmaking, a little bit more winners. I think sometimes he keeps the points on too long. Just like todays match, at the end he was starting volley and going for weak balls more, i like it.

wildbill88AA
05-02-2005, 09:45 PM
agassi already does come to net more. and connors started comin up more around 30.and was able to win a couple more us opens doing that. and i think agassi should concentrate on wimby or the us open.

big ted
05-02-2005, 10:19 PM
agassi already does come to net more. and connors started comin up more around 30.and was able to win a couple more us opens doing that. and i think agassi should concentrate on wimby or the us open.

i dont think so about wimbledon he only won it one time 13 years ago and the odds of him beating federer there or even roddick are slimmer then the other surfaces

sandiegotennisboy
05-03-2005, 12:32 AM
andre needs to bring something new, or shall i say bring some of his old style back. EVERYONE knows his game now. he needs to switch it up a little and surprise the other players by attacking more and going for agressive shots earlier. i think pretty much all the top players know what to expect from him and with some players, ie fedex, it wont cut it.

i think he's become too content with "wearing his opponent down"....but i think he's getting worn down himself too, so it backfires. the guys out there are younger, fitter and they can grind just like him.

aa has one of the best returns in the game ever. he should bring a surprise element back to his game by maybe going for winners more, specially since his returns can still put a lot of people in bad positions on the court.

Camilio Pascual
05-03-2005, 03:41 AM
i dont think he thinks he can win big anymore on clay by wearing people down like he used to the spanish dirtballers will outhit him. his only option now is to be more aggressive, changing racquets , and going for more winners.
what do you think of his new strategy. can he win the french open like this ? mabye he thinks hes becoming too slow to grind out matches anymore. the players are able to outhit him sometimes too.

mabye hes going to start changing his game like connors did when he reached 35 and come to the net much more for i dont know if long points favor his game and body anymore esp on clay.

Agreed, it makes sense. I pointed out about 2 years ago that we tend to forget that Agassi is ALWAYS the other player in his grinding matches, he's going to wear himself down eventually. You're right, now is the time to be more aggressive and shorten some of those points.

35ft6
05-03-2005, 04:01 AM
I pointed out about 2 years ago that we tend to forget that Agassi is ALWAYS the other player in his grinding matches, he's going to wear himself down eventually. But he's controlling the center of the court, so isn't moving nearly as much as his opponent. Plus, he hits the ball extremely early, which means he doesn't have to move as much for that reason as well. Players talk about the experience of playing Agassi for the first time, how they're warned by other players that they better be prepared to run more than they ever have on a tennis court. Make no mistake, when Agassi was on is was the other person doing all the running during those long grinding matches.

Misiti99
05-03-2005, 06:03 AM
Do you guys think will Agassi will go back to the Flexpoint after the clay court season?>
what are the specs on the "Instinct" he's currently using>?

scoot
05-03-2005, 09:11 AM
aa has one of the best returns in the game ever. he should bring a surprise element back to his game by maybe going for winners more, specially since his returns can still put a lot of people in bad positions on the court.

Easier said than done. You try hitting aggressive returns off serves hit 120+mph consistently. Yes, Agassi has a great return, but he's also facing unreturnable serves. Sure it may have appeared that Agassi was going for more off the return 10 years ago, but thats only b/c the serves coming at him were MUCH easier to return. 10 years ago 120mph was considered a big serve, now its average! The problem for Agassi is his own lack of a big serve.

sandiegotennisboy
05-03-2005, 11:00 AM
yep thats true too.

joesixtoe
05-03-2005, 12:39 PM
did u see agassi hit that 140 mph return of serve from roddick for a winner last year in cinci.. he can still hit em back,, and as for going for more on his shots, well did you see him play fish at the tampa chairity thing this march? he was going for his shots their and it looked good. so if he can relax like at tampa maybe he should go for more.

scoot
05-03-2005, 02:22 PM
for every return of brilliance there are probably 10 frames off 140mph serves. the serve is ruining mens tennis on nonclay surfaces