PDA

View Full Version : Adidas Dropped the Bryan Bros?

Leelord337
02-27-2010, 09:33 PM
when did this happen? the bryan bros are no longer sponsored by Adidas, its now k swiss

kingdaddy41788
02-27-2010, 09:37 PM
when did this happen? the bryan bros are no longer sponsored by Adidas, its now k swiss

Not sure when, but I saw that in the latest TENNIS magazine... weird...

Fee
02-27-2010, 10:21 PM
It happened when they posted it on their Twitter page and it was discussed almost immediately in the PRO GEAR section where threads like this belong. The search tool is your friend.

oy vey
02-28-2010, 07:05 PM
They dropped the Bryans and others to help pay for the huge Murray deal.

"Britain's Andy Murray has received such a big clothing contract from
adidas — around £15m over five years — that the brand have ditched
Novak Djokovic, Marcos Baghdatis and the Bryan brothers to help fund
it. So there was understandable meltdown within adidas when Murray
turned up for a photoshoot last week at Dubai’s new racecourse wearing
a distinctive Hugo Boss-branded polo shirt. Jim Latham, head of adidas
tennis, will be making clear his disappointment to the Murray camp." --
Charles Sale

Ambivalent
03-01-2010, 12:00 AM
I'm doubtful that adidas needed to drop players to pay out 15 million pounds. that's chump change for them.

rovex
03-01-2010, 07:49 AM
I'm doubtful that adidas needed to drop players to pay out 15 million pounds. that's chump change for them.

Exactly. I know for sure they decided not to renew Baghdatis's contract. However i seriously doubt they dropped the Bryan bros. And with Djokovic, i think he wanted to leave as much as Adidas realised he wasn't going to win much.

rovex
03-01-2010, 07:52 AM
They dropped the Bryans and others to help pay for the huge Murray deal.

"Britain's Andy Murray has received such a big clothing contract from
adidas ó around £15m over five years ó that the brand have ditched
Novak Djokovic, Marcos Baghdatis and the Bryan brothers to help fund
it. So there was understandable meltdown within adidas when Murray
turned up for a photoshoot last week at Dubaiís new racecourse wearing
a distinctive Hugo Boss-branded polo shirt. Jim Latham, head of adidas
tennis, will be making clear his disappointment to the Murray camp." --
Charles Sale

I've seen the pic of him in that Hugo boss shirt. It's unusual why this would be a problem when i've seen Djokovic wearing Tommy Hilfiger and Ralph Lauren stuff during tournaments when he was with Adidas.

The_Question
03-03-2010, 06:54 AM
The search tool is your friend.

I think it's laughable when people say that...it's like people really enjoy typing up the captchas...pft.

The_Question
03-03-2010, 06:57 AM

It happened between seasons...I saw the Bryan Brothers at BCF challenge (12/2009), they still had Adidas on. During the Australian Open, they switched to K Swiss..

Fee
03-03-2010, 09:17 AM
I think it's laughable when people say that...it's like people really enjoy typing up the captchas...pft.

what are you talking about?

SplitStepper
03-03-2010, 03:53 PM

Indeed.....what does that mean?

The_Question
03-03-2010, 06:21 PM

Guess you're too slow to read quotes...smh...

Fee
03-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Guess you're too slow to read quotes...smh...

You still haven't answered my question, and as you can see I wasn't the only one who did not understand your gibberish. I suspect you've also never tried to use the search tool on this forum or even looked at it.

Applesauceman
03-05-2010, 04:22 AM
You still haven't answered my question, and as you can see I wasn't the only one who did not understand your gibberish. I suspect you've also never tried to use the search tool on this forum or even looked at it.

It appears that you spend a fair amount of time trolling threads in order to enlighten TWers about the search function.

sureshs
03-05-2010, 05:58 AM
I personally enjoy it when people don't use the search function but post spontaneously. It brings out fresh responses and updates from people, and is also informative to those who missed the news the first time around. In this case, I watched a rerun of the Delray Beach finals last nite with the Bryans and wondered about their new shirts.

adidasman
03-05-2010, 06:16 AM
You have to figure that either K-Swiss paid them a lot more than adidas was willing to, or adidas just decided that the Bryan brothers weren't selling a lot of clothes or shoes for them. K-Swiss have certainly gotten aggressive lately, so they probably just paid more. And let's be honest - how many people ran to the stores and said, "I have to have that shirt that Bob Bryan is wearing!!!"? Like it or not, the singles guys get the attention, and they sell the gear.

JRstriker12
03-05-2010, 06:27 AM
Last time I saw Sam Querrey, he was in K-Swiss also...

Fee
03-05-2010, 09:02 AM
It appears that you spend a fair amount of time trolling threads in order to enlighten TWers about the search function.

Nope, I just mention it when I see the need to. I don't even read every thread on this forum (because I don't need to discuss Rafa v Fed 12 different ways). :)

adidasman
03-10-2010, 05:33 AM
Last time I saw Sam Querrey, he was in K-Swiss also... Another guy who isn't going to sell one piece of gear. It seems adidas were trying to get a foothold in the US market with the Bryans and Querrey; either they've ascertained they're OK in the States without having US players on their roster (they do have Oudin and others, I'm sure), or they've decided to focus their attention elsewhere. The UK, perhaps. :)

Leelord337
03-10-2010, 09:22 AM
^^^as long as safin continues to wear the barricades (retired or not) i'm sure they're going to have great sales here in US ...maybe they should make a marat safin edition of the barricades :)

adidasman
03-11-2010, 05:03 AM
^^^as long as safin continues to wear the barricades (retired or not) i'm sure they're going to have great sales here in US ...maybe they should make a marat safin edition of the barricades :) Safin? You think people in the US buy the Barricades because Safin wears them? Why on Earth would you think that???

Leelord337
03-11-2010, 09:59 AM
^^^because he was a former world #1 ?....and not to mention that he has that "cool ora"

Darth_Timmaayyy!!
03-14-2010, 09:37 PM

You've out lived your usefulness on a message board, when you start telling people to use the search function..

All forums have at least one nark that tells people off for not using the search function..

I say get a life.. lol

Leelord337
03-14-2010, 10:04 PM
You've out lived your usefulness on a message board, when you start telling people to use the search function..

All forums have at least one nark that tells people off for not using the search function..

I say get a life.. lol

soo what she's a gal that likes tennis, so yah i do use the search tool from time to time, but i was so shocked to find out that adidas dropped them that i just had to start a thread, and i did do a quick visual search for a title mentioning brian bros in gppd from within the past week to no avail.. anyway, time for more indian wells

and btw, i guess u enjoy the 20second waits between searches using the search function---personally i don't have the time, wish i did, i'd be searching for everything from years and years ago...forget fresh threads w/breaking news...anyway

kmen21
03-15-2010, 04:00 PM
Nope, I just mention it when I see the need to. I don't even read every thread on this forum (because I don't need to discuss Rafa v Fed 12 different ways). :)

Well, how about you don't mention it? I'm pretty sure everyone knows forums have a search feature, however, they're called forums, not archives, don't forget that.

Big_Dangerous
03-15-2010, 07:54 PM
^^^because he was a former world #1 ?....and not to mention that he has that "cool ora"

Lulz it's Aura.

rovex
03-21-2010, 07:54 AM
New K-swiss ad with bryan bros and Querrey

http://www.kswiss.com/

Lefty5
03-22-2010, 07:53 AM

yeah, I gotta tell you, when I shuffelboard, I am just dying for some great footwear...

jjgoff
03-23-2010, 08:32 AM
Justin Gimelstob made mention while commentating a Bryan Bros. match on Tennis Channel that a big guy with K-Swiss tennis was really pushing to get some top-ranked American players to represent the brand. Obviously, Roddick is strongly committed to Lacoste, so the Bryan Bros. and Sam Querry were the next "top players" on the list. It sounded like it may have been more of a situation that K-Swiss lured them away from Adidas rather than Adidas dropped them.

The_Question
03-23-2010, 09:00 AM

If you cannot figure it out, then you've issues...and you suspect wrong...

I for one, glad the Byran Brothers and Querrey have changed the sponsors. A new fresh look for them.

Leelord337
03-23-2010, 12:18 PM
^^^lol maybe fee was just having a bad day..let it go :)

LPShanet
03-24-2010, 03:31 PM

It's time for these boards to stop using the inaccurate language and concept of sponsors "dropping" players. That's simply not how it happens, and not how sponsorship works. The only time a sponsor can or does drop an endorser is if either side breaks the terms of the contract.

The Bryan brothers, like all other adidas players, had a contract with the company for a set period of time. When that contract expired, they were no longer sponsored by them. At that point, they could either have negotiated a new contract with adidas, or signed one with a new company. In this case, K-Swiss, who is trying to add to their pro stable, offered them more money than adidas, and they simply signed a new contract with the higher bidder. It's quite simple, and there's no bitter "dropping" going on.

I don't understand why people keep insisting on using language that makes it sound personal, or based on behavior, because it's not. K-Swiss was offering more money because for a smaller company like K-Swiss, the Bryans were to become marquee endorsers, while they were simply part of a large stable at adidas, with many other more prominent players ahead of them making more money. Also, K-Swiss has been focusing on American endorsers, since those players tend to have a disproportionately strong effect on the sales market. So the Bryans became big fish in a smaller pond, so that they could make more money than by being smaller fish in a big pond. Straight up financial decision.

Generally speaking, pros don't select their clothing deals (or even most shoe deals) based on personal factors, or even the quality of their equipment. They base their endorsements on which company their agents negotiate the best contract with. Quite simple really.

Big_Dangerous
03-26-2010, 05:14 AM

Yeah it's interesting because I saw that commercial like a few days after their interview on 60 minutes came out and they were rocking addias gear during the interview so I was like wait omgwtfbbq?!