PDA

View Full Version : UK University Tennis.

Marshredder
02-28-2010, 02:47 PM
Anyone here play for their University's 1st Mens, 2nd Mens or Womens team?

University sport in the UK is finally starting to gain more popularity and i've seen articles about how the government want to build it up to be more like US college sport.

So if you do, what University do you play for? Exciting that BUCS are getting us university folk into $15,000 qualifiers!

Tennis_Crazed
03-14-2010, 11:53 PM
Anyone here play for their University's 1st Mens, 2nd Mens or Womens team?

University sport in the UK is finally starting to gain more popularity and i've seen articles about how the government want to build it up to be more like US college sport.

So if you do, what University do you play for? Exciting that BUCS are getting us university folk into $15,000 qualifiers!

Whats difference between 1st and 2nd teams? Is it like varsity and junior varisty?

mozzer
03-15-2010, 11:44 AM
1st team is better than 2nd team etc.
Im extremely interested in this too, dojnt want to go to uni and not play tennis :(

Dream_On
03-15-2010, 12:01 PM
Im extremely interested in this too, dojnt want to go to uni and not play tennis :(

You will be able to play tennis, though what I dont like is unless you are a 4.1 + is the fact you will not have access to any decent training instead all that is avaliable at the uni depending on where you go is like one squad a week/one match a week.(From what I can gather) Of course it depends like what uni you go to.

Fedace
03-15-2010, 12:01 PM
she's hot.

http://www.ukathletics.com/sports/w-tennis/mtt/johnston_christine00.html

mozzer
03-15-2010, 12:12 PM
You will be able to play tennis, though what I dont like is unless you are a 4.1 + is the fact you will not have access to any decent training instead all that is avaliable at the uni depending on where you go is like one squad a week/one match a week.(From what I can gather) Of course it depends like what uni you go to.
Argh that sucks, im 8.2 because i play lots of doubles, i play a fair bit higher than my rating i reckon but no where near 4.1 standard! :D

ClarkC
03-16-2010, 11:00 AM
she's hot.

The UK in this thread stands for United Kingdom, not University of Kentucky.

s_andrean
03-16-2010, 11:37 AM
I'm on kingston university's 1st team, we're playing royal holloway away tomorrow, last match of the season, make or break!

abiriax
03-16-2010, 11:39 AM
lol, i'm playing for rh, good luck mate

s_andrean
03-16-2010, 12:12 PM
lol, i'm playing for rh, good luck mate

haha seriously? i'll be the guy with the huge serve and shocking backhand!

jaggy
03-16-2010, 05:35 PM
she's hot.

She is, so hot she would rank in the bottom 10% on the Indiana campus. Which for a kentucky chick is actually pretty impressive.

Marshredder
03-17-2010, 03:33 AM
Whats difference between 1st and 2nd teams? Is it like varsity and junior varisty?

The first team is the 8 or so best guys in the university. The second is the next best 8.

You will be able to play tennis whether you make the team or not! Where I am, we have team training on thursdays and sundays, but we also run a Social Tennis session on wednesdays, where we have between 18 and 50 people coming to play tennis just for fun. On top of that we run a league for anyone wanting to do that etc. If you go to a good uni, you'll be playing tennis whether your amazing or a brand new beginner if you wish!

DartMarcus
03-17-2010, 04:17 AM
I have got a couple of questions about UK University tennis.
1) Are there international players coming to play college tennis?
2) Are there tennis scholarships?

Marshredder
03-17-2010, 04:20 AM
I have got a couple of questions about UK University tennis.
1) Are there international players coming to play college tennis?
2) Are there tennis scholarships?

1) Kinda... There are 2 international students on my university's teams, but they came for the college, not for the university tennis.
2) Nope, UK sport isn't taken half as seriously as US, unfortunatley. However, we do have a great league system, and the sports body (BUCS) are getting UK tennis teams more involved, if you are in a top 15 UK university tennis team you get to play qualifiers for selected mens $15k events.

Ivan Lendl's Backhand
03-23-2010, 01:54 PM
The UK in this thread stands for United Kingdom, not University of Kentucky.

LOL.

Joeyg
03-23-2010, 02:14 PM
"She's hot". Our resident virgin strikes again!

forthegame
03-23-2010, 02:18 PM
"She's hot". Our resident virgin strikes again!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! ROFLMHO!
Fedace has lots of enemies!