PDA

View Full Version : How do the pros beef their racquets?

Pioneer
03-01-2010, 03:08 AM
I know pro racquets come relatively lighter (200-300g) and they later put lead tape to make them heavy, but what locations exactly do they place it? All over the racquet head and under the buttcap? 12' and buttcap? Other?

MrFlip
03-01-2010, 03:18 AM
Wrong question. It should be, 'Why do pros beef their racquets?'. There should be plenty of threads on this stuff in other sections mate.

Marshredder
03-01-2010, 09:26 AM
Really depends on the player. Every single player has a different preference to where they want weight added.

Pioneer
03-01-2010, 09:37 AM
Well for example I know most Head pros use long strips of lead at 12 and silicone in the handle. Does this mean they send them a frame that's about 300 grams and if they want, for example, 350 grams unstrung they add silicone which weighs about 25g and 25g of lead tape at 12? Won't that make the weight distribution in the racquet uneven?

JRstriker12
03-01-2010, 09:56 AM
TW Guide on customizing your racket - includes reasons for placing lead at certain locations (3 o'clock, 9 o'clock tec....) to achieve desired result:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/customize.html

TW Cutomization Tools - help you figure out how much weight you need and where to put it to get the result you want:

http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/customization.php
http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/customizationReverse.php

JRstriker12
03-01-2010, 10:04 AM
Well for example I know most Head pros use long strips of lead at 12 and silicone in the handle. Does this mean they send them a frame that's about 300 grams and if they want, for example, 350 grams unstrung they add silicone which weighs about 25g and 25g of lead tape at 12? Won't that make the weight distribution in the racquet uneven?

IIRC - Most rackets are either head-light or head-heavy, so having an uneven balance between the head and handle is not an issue as long as the weight difference isn't too extreme.

In your example, the distribution of weight may not be even between the head and the handle. The may also place weight at other postions 3 and 9 or 2 and 10) depending on what they are trying to achieve.

Pioneer
03-01-2010, 10:30 AM
Lol I've read all those things before JRstriker :P My question is not what effect lead tape has, but how 50 grams of lead tape is distributed on a pro frame that comes very light

LeeD
03-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Which pro, which racket.
They are all different.
There pros using stock rackets, some as light as 9.8oz.

Pioneer
03-02-2010, 05:40 AM
I'm curious about the Head pros in particular because I know their racquets come very light. If for example a pro is using a 350g racquet, but it comes 300g, does he just put tons of weight where a club player would usually sneak a few grams (3,9,12 etc.) or do they distribute it evenly around the frame

CzechM8
03-02-2010, 06:51 AM
First, that's up to whether the player likes a polarised/depolarised setup and general weight distribution across the frame.

Second, I think you're wrong to assume that pros (especially the Head sponsored ones) use the retail frame as the basis for customisation.

SplitStepper
03-02-2010, 07:11 AM
all ive heard so far is blah blah blah blah

JRstriker12
03-02-2010, 07:26 AM
all ive heard so far is blah blah blah blah

Funny, "blah blah blah" is all you're written in this thread. If you have more info, feel free to post...

Cup8489
03-02-2010, 08:05 AM
I'm curious about the Head pros in particular because I know their racquets come very light. If for example a pro is using a 350g racquet, but it comes 300g, does he just put tons of weight where a club player would usually sneak a few grams (3,9,12 etc.) or do they distribute it evenly around the frame

it depends entirely on the player. some players use polarized setups (with alot of weight at the buttcap and at 12 o'clock) while others use depolarized, with lead closer to the balance point. You'd really have to pick a specific person to research, because no two pro's have the same setup on their rackets. Some people just like different setups, like me, I'm a polarized type of guy, while some of my friends just mass lead in the lower hoop and above the grip. It's all about preference, and to find the answer you're looking for you'd need to list some individuals u want to know about.