PDA

View Full Version : Which pro's dink?

montx
05-03-2005, 02:18 AM
Granted a full stroke is an extended dink of a sort, and all players dink on some shots for a changeup. Do any professionals dink more than usual? Specifically I am talking about baseliner's I suppose, because S&V do dink on their volleys often.

Steve Huff
05-03-2005, 03:13 AM
There was a female pro that lost in the 1st round of the AO (I think) that hit underspin on all of her 2-handed forehands. When I first turned on the tube, I remember the announcer saying "You've got to see this. You'll never see another pro that hits like this". Can't remember her name though. She was playing a seeded player, and really gave them a tough 1st set.

aj_m2009
05-03-2005, 03:20 AM
There was a female pro that lost in the 1st round of the AO (I think) that hit underspin on all of her 2-handed forehands. When I first turned on the tube, I remember the announcer saying "You've got to see this. You'll never see another pro that hits like this". Can't remember her name though. She was playing a seeded player, and really gave them a tough 1st set.

Was it Loit(I don't remember if she has a 2hfh or not though)? She took a set off of Serena in '03.

35ft6
05-03-2005, 03:39 AM
Santoro is probably closest to a dinker in the top 50 or whatever. In the lower ranks, Bjorn Rheinquist and Santopadre could be considered to be dinkers. Gianlucca Pozzi had a pretty dinky game.

Didn't Arthur Ashe sort of use dinky junk tennis to win Wimbledon over Connors?

lildev0426
05-03-2005, 03:42 AM
oren motavassel

35ft6
05-03-2005, 03:47 AM
^ People are just making up words now.

aj_m2009
05-03-2005, 03:56 AM
It seems that way.

AndrewD
05-03-2005, 05:04 AM
The way the game has changed there's little room for an outright baseline 'dinker'. Possibly the closest you'll find are a few of the Japanese women's players. Very flat groundstrokes and do hit a few classic dink shots to get back into rallies but its usually full blooded drives - in or out.

Pozzi was pretty much all touch. A bigger guy than Santoro but hit a lot flatter. Santoro's got that lovely mix of spin and angles.

I think these days if you want to see dink shots you have to go to doubles and even there its a dying art. Probably when Woodbridge retires that'll be the last of the players who don't try to kill the ball on every shot.

Isn't it funny that the most successful doubles players of all time, McEnroe and Woodbridge (not to mention McMillan, Mark Woodforde and Tom Okker) hit predominantly chips, angles, dinks and spins. Even against all the power hitters they still kept on winning. Wonder why it is that guys persist with bashing the ball when they've got such perfect and current examples to show that it isn't the key to winning consistantly or winning big?

andfor
05-03-2005, 07:03 AM
Davide Sanguinetti

Misiti99
05-03-2005, 07:08 AM
Karol Kucera..biggest pusher ever...
what's a dink? we always said Pusher....

lildev0426
05-03-2005, 09:49 AM
oren motavassel is not made up. he is a futures/satellite player. saw him pay last week. looks like a 3.5/4.0 warming up, but consistently beats tour players. he is israeli but i believe lives in cali.

35ft6
05-03-2005, 09:58 AM
oren motavassel is not made up. he is a futures/satellite player. saw him pay last week. looks like a 3.5/4.0 warming up, but consistently beats tour players. he is israeli but i believe lives in cali. I was just kidding. Bjorn Rheinquist, I swear, moonballs with no pace whatsoever. And Santopadre is the oddest player I've ever seen. I think he has a mild form of tourettes. But very fun to watch.

drakulie
05-03-2005, 03:54 PM
For us recreational players, the equivelant of a "dinker", or "pusher" on the pro level would be called counter-punchers. Mostly clay courters like Coria, Nalbandian, Nadal, etc. Also, some of the other players mentioned above.

By the way S & V players are not dinkers, they are considered to be offensive players and attackers.

scoot
05-03-2005, 04:00 PM
Karsten Braasch & Fabrice Santoro are examples. conch shellita mootinez in her old age on the womens side

Datacipher
05-03-2005, 05:54 PM
I was just kidding. Bjorn Rheinquist, I swear, moonballs with no pace whatsoever. And Santopadre is the oddest player I've ever seen. I think he has a mild form of tourettes. But very fun to watch.

The only thing I remember about Santopadre is that he had a big serve with a low toss and a bit of an awkward rhythm.

Yes, 35, Ashe junked Connors at Wimbledon, not his usual game. That inspired a lot of players, including Tanner in his win over Connors at Wimbledon to try to junk Connors(when not hitting aces!).

Ramesh Krishnan also deserves a mention! Also, don't forget Brad Gilbert who most certainly dinked on a semi-regular basis.

montx
05-03-2005, 06:10 PM
It does seem there are fewer dinkers and yes I agree counterpunching, and 'anglers', 'spinners' also have some stay but yes it does seem to be power play that has proven a lot of top players. I ask because, I'd like to learn how to dink!

Kirko
05-03-2005, 06:19 PM
Scoot said it !!!!!!!!!!!

goober
05-03-2005, 06:55 PM
Davide Sanguinetti
Hmm... saw him play in person couple months ago. Didn't seem at all like a pusher/dinker type (as far as pros are concerned). Seem to have an all court game and came to the net much more than his opponent did.

All Baseline
05-03-2005, 11:31 PM
I thought Oren was a former ATP player that plays once in a while in local future events.

lildev0426
05-04-2005, 12:56 AM
yes All Baseline . i believe he is in his 30s now. have you seen him play?

The Pusher Terminator
05-04-2005, 04:05 AM
Coria has the most incredible dropper on the tour!

Kournikova said that her best stroke was her dropper. I really wouldn't know because I have never watched her play.....I'm always distracted by something else...LOL.

Rickson
05-04-2005, 04:41 AM
Coria's inside out, sliced forehand, dropshot is probably the best in the business right now and he catches a lot of people out of position with it. Coria's dropshot is the most effective imho.

galain
05-04-2005, 05:10 AM
Juan Ignacio Chela usually pulls out some nice surprising touch shots quite often.

35ft6
05-04-2005, 06:08 AM
Nadal has a pretty good dropshot, and I think it's more effective than Coria's if only because his groundstrokes are heavier, forcing his opponent's to cover more ground to get to it. Even if it's not struck perfectly, they're so far behind the baseline, even if they reach the shot the point's basically over.

Ferrero's inside out forehand drop shot was sick, too.

Rickson
05-04-2005, 08:04 PM
Nadal has a pretty good dropshot, and I think it's more effective than Coria's if only because his groundstrokes are heavier, forcing his opponent's to cover more ground to get to it. Even if it's not struck perfectly, they're so far behind the baseline, even if they reach the shot the point's basically over.

Ferrero's inside out forehand drop shot was sick, too.
I believe that Nadal uses more topspin than Coria, but I don't think Nadal's groundstrokes land deeper like you're implying when you say his opponents are way behind the baseline. I'd say Coria's groundstrokes actually land deeper than Nadal's.

andfor
05-05-2005, 06:53 AM
Hmm... saw him play in person couple months ago. Didn't seem at all like a pusher/dinker type (as far as pros are concerned). Seem to have an all court game and came to the net much more than his opponent did.

I've also watched him in person. It's just my opinion he does not hit as hard as the majority his peers. I do like his game. When he's on he certainly has more variety than the rest of the robots out there.

Ronaldo
05-05-2005, 08:21 AM
So like when a player whips out the squash shot like Roddick or uses the forehand slice approach like Pam Shriver, is that a dink?

montx
05-07-2005, 07:33 AM
I would characterize a dink as a shot that tends to move a player around a lot without necessarily having great force. Sometimes it may have force or pace but usually as a returned favour of say my own force. If I smack one and he returns it so it gets over and in and moves me around by placement rather than any other tactic...i call that a dink. Usually like a push with high percentage accuracy...perhaps even a block, chip, angled shot, spin...I don't know how to describe it exactly but you know it when you see it.

35ft6
05-07-2005, 02:26 PM
I believe that Nadal uses more topspin than Coria, but I don't think Nadal's groundstrokes land deeper like you're implying when you say his opponents are way behind the baseline. I'd say Coria's groundstrokes actually land deeper than Nadal's. Yeah, Nadal's groundstrokes do land short very often, but it has so much action on it that he pushes guys farther back than Coria. Coria hits a nice ball but it doesn't have the potency of Rafa's groundstrokes.

And I noticed in his match against Hanescu, Nadal can draw errors simply by hitting heavy, like he doesn't have to even make the guy move, just puts so much action on his forehand that it's almost like a kick serve/cross court shot. Several times Hanescu missed a routine backhand wide because the kick of Nadal's shot was too much to handle.

All Baseline
11-29-2005, 08:48 PM
yes All Baseline . i believe he is in his 30s now. have you seen him play?

My friend lost to him in the finals of a tourney last weekend. He hits very soft and is able to run down balls because he reads the ball the second it comes off the opponents strings. He's not fast at all but super consistent.

Shaolin
11-30-2005, 11:51 AM
Bjorn Rehnquist is not a dinker, I was on court right next to him at a challenger and he was hitting pretty big.

Karol Kucera was a serious pusher usually. Saw him hit a (im not joking) 30-40 mph overhead vs Sampras in 98. Sampras just laughed at him, beating him in 45 minutes.

Rusedski Fan
11-30-2005, 08:56 PM
For sure he is a dinker. He plays 80's style all the way. Flat forehand. Not much pace or pop. He beats top players now and then. I saw him in Memphis this year and my wife thinks he looks like he is a hundred years old. I like watching him, he plans shots, not just swings for the fences.

supersmash
11-30-2005, 09:17 PM
Oren Motevassel just won the Little Saigon Tennis Tournament. It was frustrating to watch him play. He was a counterpuncher. Booooring. He was very consistent and got EVERYTHING back. He also won the mixed doubles event.

35ft6
12-01-2005, 03:05 AM
^ Oren's currently number 7 in the So-Cal Open Seeding List.

swedechris
12-01-2005, 06:04 AM
joakim johansson , thomas enqvist , mark phillipoussis , jan micael gambill.. not..

but gianluca pozzi , manuel santana , manuel orantes , beppe merlo, gene mayer, antonio zugarelli, santoro,sanguinetti, solomon , ashe sure knew / know how to play dink shots and touch shots..

supersmash
12-01-2005, 07:21 AM
Joachim Johansson does NOT dink.

ta11geese3
12-02-2005, 12:16 AM
hence the "not" at the end of the list...

troytennisbum
12-02-2005, 01:30 PM
Probably NONE....at least none that dink like we see at our amateur level.

I would bet that any "real" pro player mentioned above who "dinks" also has the ability to hit balls 100 times more powerfull then the strongest/most aggressive players on this board.

dmastous
12-02-2005, 01:36 PM
Kent Carlson, Brad Gilbert. If any pro could be considered dinkers these would top the list in my book.