PDA

View Full Version : Who deserves Grand Slam No. 5?

K!ck5w3rvE
05-03-2005, 03:04 AM
If there was to be another grand slam (apart from scheduling and season problems etc) who do you think would deserve to hold it....and what surface?
I've thought of stuff like:

- Asia (lots of players coming thorugh)
- Russia (so many players at top level, do they deserve a grand slam).
- South America
- An indoor European tournament

A good surface could be carpet. What do you think?

Steve Huff
05-03-2005, 03:10 AM
The players are already crying about having too many tournaments, so I doubt we'll see one for a while. But, if a new tournament was to be created, I'd imagine China would get it. China has the money to do it (as evidenced by their bid for the season-ending Masters), and apparently they also have the fans. I don't think it really matters how many players come from a particular area that will get them a GS. I think it's all about the money.

Jonnyf
05-03-2005, 09:09 AM
well we have wimbledon and not alot of pro players

scoot
05-03-2005, 10:02 AM
we need an indoor slam

Kaptain Karl
05-03-2005, 10:34 AM
We've got enough Majors. More Slams will equate to less time off for the Pros ... which will result in more injuries. That will only have some of the same folks promoting more Majors complaining that the top players are "faking injuries" to get out of playing so much.

- KK

BERDI4
05-03-2005, 10:52 AM
South America. The S.A. players have to be most of the year far away from their homes cause all tournaments are played in the northern hemisphere. It's a very sacrificed life.

Grimjack
05-03-2005, 10:59 AM
If there were another big tournament -- not a "grand slam," per se, but a tournament run by big enough a corporate entity/group that they were able to put up a grand-slam-sized purse -- I'd love for it to be a fast surface. It would really balance out the overall esteem (and profitability!) the fast-surface S&V/all-court crew would achieve, and in turn result in more up-n-comers playing the sort of game that could excel in that way.

More diversity in the game = more exciting tennis = more fans = better for the game.

The Chinese Championships indoors in Shanghai (or maybe the Pan-Asian championships, rotating among China/Tokyo/Seoul) on a fast carpet or something would absolutely rock.

Redflea
05-03-2005, 10:05 PM
I like that thinking, Grimjack...where are the future Edbergs coming from...damn, I miss those days.

AndrewD
05-04-2005, 02:25 AM
Actually, I think the last thing we ever need is another Major. I just think we need to preserve the uniqueness of the ones we already have and say, '4 is elite, 4 is enough'.

Otherwise, BERDI4, I agree wholeheartedly that South America would be the most deserving. Only thing is, what surface would they play it on? Now we've got a slow hard court, a fast hard court, a grass court and a clay court Major what could they offer that wasn't clay? That would be my one objection.

montx
05-04-2005, 03:37 AM
Somehow though I think Steve Huff (any relation to George Huff? American idol?) is right. $$$ talks.

K!ck5w3rvE
05-04-2005, 03:39 AM
I know that 4 is enough. I was just saying, that if there was to be a 5th slam, who would deserve it "(apart from scheduling and season problems etc)". I was saying it wouldn't be possible atm, but who would get it....

Marius_Hancu
05-04-2005, 04:22 AM
4 - enough. Needed: better scheduling.

jonas-the-ball-basher
05-04-2005, 04:25 AM
How about one big tournament where there are 32 groups of 4 players to start with, fighting it out, with the 1st one of each group going to the last 32, where they will have another 8 groups of 4 players fighting it out again.

Now there are 8 players left who will play the quarter finals and so on to the final!

arodnadal
05-04-2005, 05:33 AM
Have indoor Grand Slam

scoot
05-04-2005, 08:42 AM
Just make the Year End Champs a dual gender event - the indoor champs - and elevate it to slam status.

As it is, it pretends to be such an important tournament anyway, why not make it a slam? Tennis lacks an indoor slam anyway.

gugafanatic
05-04-2005, 10:02 AM
they should create a new surface a hybrid of Grass,Clay and Hard court.

Misiti99
05-04-2005, 10:14 AM
I think the scheduling is too tight right now..as everyone does...How you gonna have Masters Series Monte Carlo...week of small tournament...Rome...Hamburg...week oof small tournament and then RG...toooo much
no wonder Federer is stepping out..Good For him....
I think Nadal is wearing himself thin by playing so many tournaments during the clay court season...WAY TOO MANY....
I agree with who ever talked about the 5th Grand Slam being played in South America...It's not fair cause there are so many Peruvians..Chileans..Argentinians...etc that are away most of the year..Far far away....
but China would win it because of all their money....Sad..who would watch it...

andre'smom
05-04-2005, 10:49 AM
It would be nice to see a G/S in South America.....there are so many players from that part of the world, and the game is so big there, should be good for the fans. But where? What country can afford or has the location for it..?
I doubt it very much. Feed the hungry children better.
I think Asia is promoting the sport big time now, womens doubles winning the gold in the olympics.
I don't think will be a 5th G/S their scheduling is tigh as it is, they are getting burn out already.

@wright
05-04-2005, 10:53 AM
It would mar the other 4 slams.

Simon Cowell
05-04-2005, 02:35 PM
I think a 5th grandslam played on ice would be cool (no pun intended)...if players could wear skates or even just shoes would be fine...imagine it played in greenland or somewhere