PDA

View Full Version : Ferrero Is he playing Rome ?

JCF
05-03-2005, 05:25 AM
Is he ?

aj_m2009
05-03-2005, 05:28 AM
Nope, sorry.

splink779
05-03-2005, 07:49 AM
Anyone know why?

rhubarb
05-03-2005, 07:55 AM
At 85, Ferrero wasn't ranked high enough for direct entry when entry closed. He requested a main draw wildcard and must have assumed he would get one, so didn't put himself on the qualifier list; however all the wildcards were given to Italians. So no JC in Rome.

He's waiting to hear whether Hamburg will give him a WC, and might play quallies if he doesn't get one.

splink779
05-03-2005, 08:38 AM
Thats a real shame. He needed a little more practice on the clay. I want to see him do well.

JonWood
05-03-2005, 09:33 AM
i read on tennis news that he got a wildcard and he turned it down. i didnt read into the article to see why he did but it said on the topic headline that he turned it down

VamosRafa
05-03-2005, 01:54 PM
i read on tennis news that he got a wildcard and he turned it down. i didnt read into the article to see why he did but it said on the topic headline that he turned it down

Interesting. The info I have is what was posted above. He requested one, and they were all given to Italians.

Marius_Hancu
05-03-2005, 03:58 PM
He might not playing Hamburg either.

He's not in the players' acceptance list and I don't think he will play qualies ....

JonWood
05-03-2005, 04:41 PM
you are right, i read the headline wrong, i read it as refuses wildcard but it said ferrero refused wildcard

Marius_Hancu
05-03-2005, 04:45 PM
ferrero [was] refused wildcard
will it be same in Hamburg? hopefully not.

VamosRafa
05-03-2005, 06:19 PM
I would think he'd be a tournament draw, so maybe they'll give him one in Hamburg. They should, but they may feel this is the one time where they can support Italian/German players, and deny him one.

VictorS.
05-03-2005, 08:03 PM
The way he's playing....that's just a shame. He's been playing terrific tennis as of late and he's one of the best clay courters in tennis. You'd think a guy like him (who was briefly #1 in the world) would receive more respect from those in the tennis community.

VamosRafa
05-03-2005, 09:00 PM
The way he's playing....that's just a shame. He's been playing terrific tennis as of late and he's one of the best clay courters in tennis. You'd think a guy like him (who was briefly #1 in the world) would receive more respect from those in the tennis community.

I agree. But there may be politics involved. Such as how much do the Spanish tournaments do to help Italian and German players? There are so many good Spanish players, and they certainly get the wildcards for Madrid -- Rafa has received a couple of those himself. There may be a feeling that the Spanish players get enough help.

But at the same time, if having Juan Carlos on court will help sell tickets, you'd think they would be all over it. And maybe in Hamburg, they will be.

gugafanatic
05-04-2005, 08:35 AM
Why does Guga get wc into almost every torunament he enters. Hes ranking had dropped alot lower then JCF, yet hes in the main draws?

Feņa14
05-04-2005, 12:23 PM
Guga has a protected ranking from his injury, I think

On Ferrero, I also heard that Hamburg are going to turn him down for one aswell :mad:

verdasco67
05-04-2005, 03:53 PM
i thought ferrero is now ranked 48?

gugafanatic
05-04-2005, 03:59 PM
Guga has a protected ranking from his injury, I think

On Ferrero, I also heard that Hamburg are going to turn him down for one aswell :mad:

Damn, I forgot about hes protected ranking. He was top 20 prior to last yrs US Open. I really hope he can find hes form and start playing at a high-intensiy again. Hes hip doesnt seem to bother him, its just a lack of confidence and wrong shot selection at the moment that is killing hes chances at RG. Its really painful on the eyes, seeing Guga lose to players like: Henman, Ancic and Martin.

VictorS.
05-04-2005, 06:20 PM
National rivalries should not get in the way of tennis' best interests. Ferrero has been one of the best four clay court players this year based on his recent performances in barcelona and monte carlo. That alone should warrant a wild card entry. Not to mention the guy is a French Open champion. Hewitt and Federer already withdrew. This tournament needed all the name-power it could muster.

Feņa14
05-05-2005, 03:34 PM
Yep, looks like Ferrero is going to have qualify. I have heard that he has been rejected and he is considering trying to qualify.

Not official but it's the latest "rumour"