PDA

View Full Version : Are Yonex racquets overrated?

Golden Retriever
04-13-2004, 07:39 PM
I have tried a few Yonex racquets and hated each and every one of them. I find the square design hard to manuveur and powerless. Sure the sweet spot is bigger but it is not as sweet. Oval is still the best in my book.

Roforot
04-13-2004, 08:10 PM
To be honest, I don't noticethat much of a difference b/w oval and square head when I'm playing. That being said, my experience using their topline/player's racquets has been more favorable than most of the other brands in the areas that matter: serving consistency, control, spin, and more points and matches won.

The other racquet that really impressed me was the Prince Graphite Classic. I think it's definitely worth it to demo a yonex, and if it doesn't fit your game, try something else.

bendover
04-13-2004, 08:21 PM
thats y u put some lead tapes on and its GREAT.

Hawaii 5.0
04-13-2004, 09:15 PM
Yonex makes some great frames, but that's not to say all of them are.I think that Yonex's rate of success is much greater than many other companies regardless of their headshape.I like some of the yonex's and find their players racquets to have a very nice feel in general.

@wright
04-13-2004, 09:27 PM
The old heavy graphite frames were great for sure. Not so sure about the new ones though, I have tried a couple and they are too light and pingy. The Ti does nothing that more graphite can't do!

matchpoints
04-13-2004, 10:21 PM
their older racquets were much better. it seems more like a chick racquet. (apologies to the boys that use it).

fastdunn
04-13-2004, 11:28 PM
I understand what Retriver is trying to say.
I tend to agree with Retriver to a certain degree.
But I think Yonex has very consistent string bed.
It hardly surprises me with unexpected response.
Its spin production sometimes surprises me but it's
partly because of my lack of experties on spin.

Anyway, I play with Yonex mainly because its stable and solid feel.
I have other reasons although they are not so important.
For example, I have this respect for Japanese craftsmanship.
They have certain historical and cultural reasons
for their perfectionistic/obsession over quality of craftsmanship.

Roforot
04-14-2004, 03:00 AM
I agree w/ fastdunn's last point. I think one of the main reasons I also liked the Prince Graphite was that it was also made in Japan.

galain
04-14-2004, 03:46 AM
I'd love to know what exactly constitutes a "chick" racquet. Matchpoints - when you say "it seems more like a chick racquet", what are you commenting on? The shape of the frame? The weight? Cosmetics? What? Or is it the fact that Yonex choose to pay some women players to use their equipment? If you're basing your comment on this last point, well, you might as well say that the Pure Drive is every bit as much of a "chick" racquet as anything that Yonex produces.

As for the company itself, from what I've seen Yonex seem to have quite high build standards. I don't play with anything they put out but I've always thought they make good players sticks, and nice tweener models too.

The very best Yonex I ever used though had an oval head - the R32. I think it was the same composition as the R22 but slightly heavier and in a traditional shape. One of the nicest racquets I've ever used.

MWV
04-14-2004, 06:37 AM
More than anything, I think the deep, solid feel of their older player frames set them apart from the other manufacturers. You either love it or.....not. If that works for you, nothing else seems quite as good. I've been told it has to do with the graphite in those racquets. Players using the Prince Original Graphite (around for 20 years now) seem to feel the same way. The all graphite composition keeps it unique in feel and playability.

Chopin
04-14-2004, 08:54 AM
Yonex RD-7 and Super RD-Tour are two of the greatest rackets ever made though.

predrag
04-14-2004, 10:26 AM
The very best Yonex I ever used though had an oval head - the R32.

I absolutely agree. I bought it for my brother, back in the 1990.
The racquet was awesome. Because of that I bought Rx-7 for myself.
That racquet was not that good.

Unfortunately, R32 was stollen from my car :(

Regards, Predrag

Datacipher
04-14-2004, 01:52 PM
I agree w/ fastdunn's last point. I think one of the main reasons I also liked the Prince Graphite was that it was also made in Japan.

I agree. Even in modern manufacturing and design, I believe the Japanese in general tend to put more effort into precision. Your odds of getting shabby products and poor quality control are lower.

I have never played regularly with a Yonex as I have recieved free sticks from other brands. I still remember my 1st hit with a Yonex srd though. From the first strike of the ball, I knew it was one great frame.

30 - 15 is my ad
04-16-2004, 12:34 AM
My Yonex RD Ti 50 Standard length 95 sq in 13.2 oz racquets are 'chick frames' - gee, maybe I should move up to a 'players racquet' like a Prince Triple Threat Ring or a Head Ti S7!!!

ha
04-16-2004, 09:30 AM
I wish i could use a racket that was that heavy. You are the coolest!

bendover
04-16-2004, 01:26 PM
Yonex RD-7 and Super RD-Tour are two of the greatest rackets ever made though.

i agree, RD-7 to me has to be one of the greatest form yonex, add leap tapes on and your a pro :)

currently sponsored by Yonex, waiting for contract to end so i can switch to babolat....

b.
04-16-2004, 01:29 PM
I had pleasure of using R7 (mid+, ~97), 31/29kg (~max. suggested) Immediately after stringing it was somewhat boardy, but after ~1 hour of play it was very nice. It produced shock on the arm if ball hit the very tip of stringbed, and had sweetspot somewhat below visual center. I liked it especially with guts.
After R7 I tried R50 (mid, ~90). With nylon strings, and string tension in mid. of suggested, it felt very alike R7.

I liked them both very much, but my strings on R7 used to last very short, so I sold it. I thought that I can find replacement easily. But I was wrong.

I had tried some Heads (I did not like them), some Wilsons (I liked them some more), but I just got used to R7 feel.

R7 & R50 Feel: less boardy than others I tried. I especially liked combined feeling of firmness and softness - like I could detect some time that ball spends on strings, without frame flexing too much. As far as I can remember they were actually mid+ in stiffness terms.

Somebody said (on this board) that RDX 500 resembles Yonex frames from '80s. I was wondering if somebody can compare actual models (RDX 500, 90 and MP Tour1, 90) with R7 or R50. I would appreciate comments!