PDA

View Full Version : ball machine for 4.0ish player?

tennis24
03-02-2010, 04:17 PM
hey guys!

just wondering what kind of ball machine i should get. I am a 4.0ish player and i hit with power/ spin- i need something that will challenge me and give me a tough workout. i am working on consistency/ variety shots 4 my tournaments/ season. I will prolly be training with it for at least 3 hrs a day everyday...so something that does more than just oscillate, however, i can't break the bank with it.

Thank you so much!!!;)

beernutz
03-02-2010, 04:48 PM
hey guys!

just wondering what kind of ball machine i should get. I am a 4.0ish player and i hit with power/ spin- i need something that will challenge me and give me a tough workout. i am working on consistency/ variety shots 4 my tournaments/ season. I will prolly be training with it for at least 3 hrs a day everyday...so something that does more than just oscillate, however, i can't break the bank with it.

Thank you so much!!!;)

Knowing your budget is just as important as knowing the features you want when trying to recommend a machine. Do you have a range or a maximum amount you can spend? "Can't break the bank" is kind of vague.

The main features that differentiate ball machines as I see it are (in no particular order):
maximum ball speed
topspin/backspin? yes/no
elevation adjustment? yes/no and if yes manual or electronic
vertical oscillation? yes/no
horizontal oscillation? yes/no
two line function? yes/no
feed control? yes/no
feed interval: seconds
remote? yes/no
remote functions: feed, sweep, oscillation control, elevation, etc.
hopper capacity and type
power type: ac/dc/both
battery life
battery charger type: smart/dumb
portability (wheel/handle type plus shape and weight)

I love my ball machine but 3 hours a day everyday on one is a crazy idea imo. You'd be better off using a good deal of that time to hit with a partner or coach, again imo. Or are you saying you're going to hit at least 3 hours on the machine each day and then also hit with a partner/coach?

MonkeyMuggs
03-04-2010, 08:02 PM
First thing you need to decide/determine is whether you want a portable machine (battery operated) or electric (would need access to a court with an electrical outlet) or both (many machines can be ordered and configured utilizing both battery and/or electric - though they will cost more).

Researching, selecting and buying a ball machine is not a particularly easy study. The internet and this forum can greatly help and make it even fun. Unless you live in Los Angeles, Ca it's unlikely that you'll be able to "demo" or "go see" any machines. Also depending on where you live, there may be local clubs whereby you might be able to rent a ball machine by the hour. I would highly recommend first renting any/all machines available.

Fortunately, there are a handfull of outstanding ball machine manufacturers that make a variety of dependable/quality models with features to meet most every players needs/wants. Once you determine what features you need/want and the minimum/maximum you're willing to spend, there are many knowledgable people on this forum that are willing to help.

Good Luck

kimguroo
03-04-2010, 08:11 PM
silent partner might be best for $$$ but playmate is a great machine.

tennis24
03-05-2010, 06:44 AM
K
I love my ball machine but 3 hours a day everyday on one is a crazy idea imo. You'd be better off using a good deal of that time to hit with a partner or coach, again imo. Or are you saying you're going to hit at least 3 hours on the machine each day and then also hit with a partner/coach?

yah i meant 3 hrs with ball machine and then w/coach after..thanx 4 the help everyone

charliefedererer
03-08-2010, 08:33 PM
If you "can't break the bank" get the Silent Partner Lite for $599, or if you must have a remote, the Star for $799.
It will through a very fast ball with adjustable topspin and slice. Great service from Steve - he either works from home or lives in that office.