PDA

View Full Version : What level of college do you think this guy can play?

Serve n' Volley
03-02-2010, 04:54 PM
Hi, just wondering what everyone on here thought this guy can do with his tennis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6IMlJw5cmc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSRlfg6uVAM

Edit: Moved both videos to the first post.

nyc
03-02-2010, 06:11 PM
Hard to say without seeing actual points being played out.

Lawnmower
03-02-2010, 06:12 PM
That's you, right?

I think you could make D1.

weezy
03-02-2010, 07:44 PM
not bad, but its pretty difficult to determine one's level by just looking at strokes. There are plenty of D3 players, good and not so great who have better strokes than good D1 players. Also, don't ignore tennis outside of D1...
Every D3 team in the top 25 for example is very competitive and all have great strokes just as seen in this video

alb1
03-03-2010, 06:40 AM
Judging from strokes he can play at a college at D1 D2 D3 NAIA, whichever he chooses. Depends on the individual schools at each level.

LeeD
03-03-2010, 09:00 AM
Do we actually get to choose which college we go to?
Isn't it always the best of the contenting colleges that want YOU?
And the program is most important, not just Div1, 11, or 111.

skyzoo
03-03-2010, 12:54 PM
If i can make d.1 this kid can ease into d.1 no problems..

Serve n' Volley
03-03-2010, 06:09 PM
I'll try and get some match play for you to see as well.

ReopeningWed
03-03-2010, 06:42 PM
He looks a little skittish doesn't he? Very jumpy on that forehand.

stanfordtennis alum
03-04-2010, 05:32 AM
he's a 1 star recruit on tennis recruiting.. enough said

alb1
03-04-2010, 08:21 AM
I would rate him as a 1+ star based on his wins against 3 and 4 star players.
Anyway not saying he can play SEC or PAC10 or for any of the top ranked schools in the other college divisions. But I see nothing based on the video or his tennisrecruiting.net results that would keep him from playing for some schools in the Atlantic Sun (D1), **** (D2), SCAC (D3), Southern States (NAIA), among others.

Joeyg
03-04-2010, 08:50 AM
Some people more than others would know about jumping on the forehand. Right, Wednesday?

ttbrowne
03-07-2010, 06:01 PM
Not D1. He needs more strength in some of his shots.
And those volleys really need work.

aphex
03-12-2010, 03:51 AM
i don't know about college levels but he's definitely nothing much, at least technique-wise...

i mean forget the fh/bh which are very average (he has different form on almost every one of them)...forget about that...he doesn't even pronate on serve...

Zefer
03-12-2010, 04:43 AM
Why say "this guy" when it's clearly you? :p
Anyway, you're really good!

TearSNFX
03-12-2010, 07:19 AM
I noticed a lot of editing on the serve, which tells me your serve isn't consistent. That alone will make it difficult for you to play in any division.

Hi I'm Ray
03-14-2010, 06:39 AM
Former college player here. Still watching the vid as it loads, but I don't remember the look of strokes to mean much of anything. Its all about how well you play your game. Someone could play f'd up looking strokes and still kick @ss, or play great looking strokes and actually suck.

Hi I'm Ray
03-14-2010, 06:51 AM
Okay, finished watching the vid, and trying to offer some constructive crit here that might help, please do not take the wrong way. The serves do look like they need some work. Form looks off, serve seems a bit slow for college level. Can't tell too much about the volleys, but I remember net play to be much more aggressive in college. It's hard to say much more without seeing what is done during a real game.

Nextman916
03-14-2010, 04:47 PM
Lol I'm guessing your indian and korean?

Hi I'm Ray
03-15-2010, 04:03 PM
Lol I'm guessing your indian and korean?

wtf?! what does that have to do with anything?

OP: if the guy in the vid is you, I hope my previous post did not sound negative. There is definately potential there.

roddick_rulz
03-16-2010, 04:04 AM
I really hope the OP is not actually the guy in the video.
His name is serve n' volley and those are the two weakest strokes in his game.
If this is his strategy, he may want to try staying back a bit more...the results may come?

dekko1
03-16-2010, 04:46 AM
He can probably play div 1 school, but probably a non ranked school, and be playing 4-6 positions; which is not a bad thing, once in the team, you can work your *** off to try to improve that.
Also, what makes me suspicious about the quality of his tennis, is that he has not mentioned anything about a junior ranking. If it was high, he obviously would have mentioned.

Fedace
03-16-2010, 05:13 AM
Keep working on your game and don't let negative people get you down. You can always play college tennis and it doesn't have to be D1 tennis. D2 or D3 are very competitive and you can still have a good college career. And getting a good college education will be more valuable to you since it will affect you for the rest of your life.

I know it is very difficult to understand and see what will happen and what you need to do to make a good life for yourself once you graduate college at this moment. and right now College Tennis seem to be the most important factor, but you have to balance and weigh what you like to do once in college, and also once you are finished with college. and trust me on this, it is much more important to plan for what will happen once you graduate so choosing a college that offers good education is just as important if not more so.

Anyway, keep working on your game and you will have a chance to play college tennis and have a good college tennis career. and Don't ever let the negative people get you down.

tennis08tarheels
03-16-2010, 08:27 PM
Good size and footwork, but I have to echo what others have said: strokes don't dictate the amount of success that one will have at the college level. You need to be somewhere you know you'll receive good coaching and where you know you can make significant improvement as a player.

You can't really make generalizations about tennis teams by DI, DII, DIII, NAIA because tennis isn't like other sports; the top few DII and even DIII teams would be ranked in the top 50 if they were in DI. Above-average DIII teams beat average and below-average DI teams all the time.

OroDeSantoro
03-16-2010, 11:38 PM
I can't speak for all D1 schools, as I've played primarily SEC players and some top players from the other conferences, but you would definitely have to address all of your strokes to have a chance against any D1 players, especially your serves and volleys. If you've ever watched high level college tennis, you'll know that it's all about consistency too. All top players in college play an extremely consistent game. My teammate played the #2 player in the country recently (John-Patrick Smith of tennessee) and the kid's game looked very unassuming... he just always gets the ball back and is very good at finishing points at net. I remember looking over at their match during my change overs a few times thinking "man, I could beat that kid"... he's #2 for a reason though, he just frustrates most players until their game breaks down. No one can ever stress this enough, consistency consistency consistency. As I anecdotally put it to the junior players I teach in the summer, "I know we all want to crank the ball like fed or del potro, but it's better to play safer shots like murray"

With that said, you have a lot of potential but you should consider seeing a better coach to get your technique right, otherwise you'll end up D3

tennis08tarheels
03-17-2010, 07:36 AM
With that said, you have a lot of potential but you should consider seeing a better coach to get your technique right, otherwise you'll end up D3

Why do you say that like it's a bad thing?

OroDeSantoro
03-17-2010, 09:30 AM
Why do you say that like it's a bad thing?

It's certainly not a bad thing, but the feeling I get from any thread like this is that the OP would ideally want to play at as high a level as possible, hence my advice.

OroDeSantoro
03-17-2010, 11:08 AM
Keep working on your game and don't let negative people get you down. You can always play college tennis and it doesn't have to be D1 tennis. D2 or D3 are very competitive and you can still have a good college career. And getting a good college education will be more valuable to you since it will affect you for the rest of your life.

I know it is very difficult to understand and see what will happen and what you need to do to make a good life for yourself once you graduate college at this moment. and right now College Tennis seem to be the most important factor, but you have to balance and weigh what you like to do once in college, and also once you are finished with college. and trust me on this, it is much more important to plan for what will happen once you graduate so choosing a college that offers good education is just as important if not more so.

Anyway, keep working on your game and you will have a chance to play college tennis and have a good college tennis career. and Don't ever let the negative people get you down.

This is very good advice too. I know players that have chosen lower level schools over D1 offers because of the quality of programs they offer. It's better to decide based on your desired major rather than simply choosing based on the quality of the tennis program. Many people make that mistake thinking that they're going to go pro, but end up regretting their school choice

goran_ace
03-19-2010, 06:26 AM
Another thing to consider when evaluating programs is how much you'd be able to contribute - would you rather sit on the bench and just be a practice partner in a strong program or would you rather go to weaker program and be an everyday starter?

wilsonplayer
03-28-2010, 07:53 PM
your form is honestly fine, some of these people don't know what they're talking about. i know people on ranked D1 schools who have worse form than this. i do agree though, we need to see you play a match, just hitting doesn't say much besides you have advanced stroke and obviously are a tennis player, not just someone who plays tennis

gopokes
03-28-2010, 08:41 PM
The strokes are there - the bigger issue is how they hold up when pressed. You'll play somewhere though - keep working and DO consult with someone on the serve - try to keep everything as loose as possible - don't try to muscle it - Good luck!
GP

Serve n' Volley
03-29-2010, 06:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENEPrRIA7bA&feature=related

What about that guy? He has 3 different matchplay videos, so pick one and tell me what level he can play.

Thanks for all the comments!

P.S. - Why does everyone seem to think that the serve and the volleys are the weakest part of his game?

roddick_rulz
03-30-2010, 08:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENEPrRIA7bA&feature=related

What about that guy? He has 3 different matchplay videos, so pick one and tell me what level he can play.

Thanks for all the comments!

P.S. - Why does everyone seem to think that the serve and the volleys are the weakest part of his game?

Because they aren't where they should be considering the level that his groundstrokes are at.
James Dean isn't as good as Daniel kang.
James Dean is weak on the backhand side and many D1 players will find that as well and really pick on that side.

teppeiahn1
03-31-2010, 03:03 PM
Both of the players you showed are not solid off both wings. Strokes are too shaky.
If you compare tony to them, they stand no chance.

Serve n' Volley
04-02-2010, 11:49 AM
Both of the players you showed are not solid off both wings. Strokes are too shaky.
If you compare tony to them, they stand no chance.

. Tony?

fruitytennis1
04-02-2010, 12:02 PM
Im assuming your talking about Tony larson...
Anyways why are you comparing them to tony?
The Daniel guy is better than james im assuming

Serve n' Volley
04-12-2010, 01:40 PM
This is a matchplay video...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSRlfg6uVAM

DownTheLine
04-12-2010, 03:26 PM
I really hope the OP is not actually the guy in the video.
His name is serve n' volley and those are the two weakest strokes in his game.
If this is his strategy, he may want to try staying back a bit more...the results may come?

Maybe he likes that style of play? Wow I can't believe you. If you actually think Roddick rulz your wayyyyy wrong>!>!>!>!>!>RWEG>FDG>FDSG>DFGFDGFDG>DFGFD?GH

DownTheLine
04-12-2010, 03:30 PM

Pretty good. I like how it's not all edited just to show the good points of you. I noticed on one of your slices you kind of put it in the the middle of the court and it was short. At DI level you won't be able to do that.

roddick_rulz
04-12-2010, 05:26 PM

I really like how you used many different types of shots and showed that you have a lot to offer.
I don't know how much coaches look into how the partner was hitting the ball back, but he was the one making the errors time after time...I don't know if the coaches care that you weren't finishing the points yourself most of the time.
But yeah, I see improvements in your game from what I remember from your last video.
I really hope you get the college scholarship that you set your sights on...ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!!!

Fedace
04-12-2010, 05:29 PM
Hi, just wondering what everyone on here thought this guy can do with his tennis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6IMlJw5cmc

He could be my new ringer in my USTA team......lol
anyway, i think he can make D1 somewhere. Looks very solid all around. but then you never know til you are up against another solid D1 player..

equinox
04-12-2010, 07:32 PM
he'll only improve with experience. right now easily d2, if he gets himself into a good challenging program, d1 certainty. next somdev! :D

David123
04-13-2010, 07:31 AM
hmm he's alright his volleys really need work, and his backhand doesn't look that great.

TearSNFX
05-06-2010, 09:12 PM
His footwork is a bit lazy but besides that he should do fine with some hardcore training over summer.

35ft6
05-06-2010, 10:58 PM
He could probably make a lot of D-2 teams. Most D-3 teams. Maybe some D-1 schools but not a top 100 team. He just looks like a solid tournament junior, maybe wins a round or two at good tournaments, not an impact player.

okdude1992
06-07-2010, 05:11 PM
probably d3 or d2. maybe some really weak d1 teams. daniel kang looks pretty decent.

polski
06-08-2010, 11:46 AM
http://tennislink.usta.com/Tournaments/Rankings/PlayerRecords.aspx?id=748334&p=4082

He's nationally ranked around 2000, but has played competitively with those ranked around 700. Generally 700 would seem to be a low rank for any competitive DI program.

Honestly, he is a project for a weak team or a team in a weak conference at any level of college tennis. Just doesn't look fast enough to me. I don't foresee a full ride from anyone for this kid.

That being said, if he finds a rebuilding/cellar dwellar type of program with a thin lineup he might get a shot at some playing time. Just needs to have grades to be able to get some academic money unless there's a trust fund waiting for him.

saigonbond
07-23-2010, 07:15 PM
Greetings,
I like your game. Your mechanics and footwork are pretty solid (especially like your 1BH & footwork).
My suggestion would be to develop a signature weapon. From the vids, I don't see one that stands out apart from the general consistency and technical soundness of your game to go along with your athleticism.
I agree that you're probably a 1 star recruit with potential.
Keep working and you can make it.
CHEERS!