PDA

View Full Version : Thin leather grip

dadozen
03-03-2010, 10:43 AM
I tried to order some 1.3mm leather grips from TW, but it seems to be out of stock, both 22 and 25mm versions.

Does anybody know of a leather grip which is as thin( or even thinner ) than TW's? I'm looking to get a firmer feel with an OG on top, but don't want a bulky grip.

Thanks in advance!

dadozen
03-03-2010, 01:41 PM
I called TW and got the 22mm X 1.3mm leather grips, the only one still available. It shouldn't make such a difference.

Standupnfall
03-03-2010, 01:52 PM
TW Leather is a great grip. I use the 25mm x 1.5 but the leather should be the same.
If you are looking to make it as thin as possible give it a gentle pre stretch and wrap it very tightly on the handle.

Make sure all the gunk is off you handle before applying it also. You can use alcohol or just some soapy water and a rag.

dadozen
03-03-2010, 01:58 PM
Yeah, you guessed it right. I'm planning to make it as thins as possible.

Btw, do you use an OG on top? I'm looking for a tacky and thin OG. Yonex Supergrap felt a bit thick. Maybe Gamma Supreme or Dermagrip? Dermagrip seems to be thinner from the two of them, at least from their description.

Thanks!

jcstennis
03-03-2010, 04:25 PM
Bab VS and Tourna Original are thin... Tecnifibre Players white OG is slighty thinner than SuperGrap... .50 vs .60.

I play thin leather with overgrip... i like to stretch out the leather and also stretch the OG just a little. I also rotate my leather, i like the broken-in used feel.

Mig1NC
03-03-2010, 05:10 PM
For a super thin OG I am currently liking Gamma Grip 2 better than my SuperGrap (which feels good, but a little too thick for what I am looking for).

dadozen
03-03-2010, 05:46 PM
Bab VS and Tourna Original are thin... Tecnifibre Players white OG is slighty thinner than SuperGrap... .50 vs .60.

I play thin leather with overgrip... i like to stretch out the leather and also stretch the OG just a little. I also rotate my leather, i like the broken-in used feel.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm not a sweater:) So Tourna original and Bab VS don't work for me.

For a super thin OG I am currently liking Gamma Grip 2 better than my SuperGrap (which feels good, but a little too thick for what I am looking for).

you're not the first to tell me to use Gamma Grip 2:) It seems to be really thin, but the problem is that I don't know where to buy it. The usual american and european webstores I usually buy from don't carry it, and TW charges a very expensive shipping rate which I can't afford, at least to by OGs all the time.

Thanks anyways! I'll try to find this OG in every store I go!

Btw, did you ever try Gamma Dermagrip? If so, do you consider it thinner than Gamma Supreme?

Bud
03-03-2010, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm not a sweater:) So Tourna original and Bab VS don't work for me.

you're not the first to tell me to use Gamma Grip 2:) It seems to be really thin, but the problem is that I don't know where to buy it. The usual american and european webstores I usually buy from don't carry it, and TW charges a very expensive shipping rate which I can't afford, at least to by OGs all the time.

Thanks anyways! I'll try to find this OG in every store I go!

Btw, did you ever try Gamma Dermagrip? If so, do you consider it thinner than Gamma Supreme?

Dermagrip is what used to be called Gamma Smart grip. It's very thin and similar to the Gamma Supreme OG.

dadozen
03-03-2010, 06:20 PM
Dermagrip is what used to be called Gamma Smart grip. It's very thin and similar to the Gamma Supreme OG.

Thanks! by similar to Gamma Supreme you mean very tacky right?:)

Is it as thin as Gamma Grip 2 or a bit thicker?

SirGounder
03-03-2010, 08:01 PM
I don't know if it's just me but Pacific xtack seem pretty thin, definitely thinner than supergrap.

dadozen
03-04-2010, 06:34 AM
Thanks for all the help, decided to get some( actually, a 30 pack ) Gamma Dermagrip. It seems to be thin and tacky enough for me. IF it doesn't work, oh well, I'll have 29 other OGs to play around:lol:

tennisdude083
03-05-2010, 12:45 AM
Yeah, you guessed it right. I'm planning to make it as thins as possible.

Btw, do you use an OG on top? I'm looking for a tacky and thin OG. Yonex Supergrap felt a bit thick. Maybe Gamma Supreme or Dermagrip? Dermagrip seems to be thinner from the two of them, at least from their description.

Thanks!

Gamma supreme is actually thicker than SuperGrap.

Bud
03-05-2010, 01:13 AM
Thanks! by similar to Gamma Supreme you mean very tacky right?:)

Is it as thin as Gamma Grip 2 or a bit thicker?

Very tacky and very thin :)

dadozen
03-05-2010, 02:46 AM
Very tacky and very thin :)

Thanks Bud! Then it's exactly what I need!;)

Greek Goliath
03-06-2010, 07:25 AM
Hope you enjoy it. Personally I like TW leather the best.

Cheers,

Greek Goliath

dadozen
03-09-2010, 09:07 AM
Hope you enjoy it. Personally I like TW leather the best.

Cheers,

Greek Goliath

Actually, I've already bought some 25mmx1.3mm last year, wrapped them, and didn't like it. I didn't even played with them. Stupid, I know.

Now I want to try them again, mostly because I get very ****ed off with regular replacement grips. They compress a lot, and sometimes when you break a stringjob in the middle of a match, you get another racquet with a new replacement grip and it feels much thicker. That ****es me off, because the feedback I get from the ball is totally different, which makes me waste time in order to adjust to it.

Thanks GG, they will be delivered today at home, so I'll wrap them as soon as I get home from work. I'll give a long run now to check if I can get used to the feeling. But I don't have high expectations since I've always preferred softer grips.

dadozen
03-10-2010, 04:43 AM
Well, I've installed one TW leather, 1.3x22mm, and I didn't like it at first. I have preferred the 25mm version, but it wasn't in stock and TW didn't even know when they would have it in stock again.

I also didn't like the grip build up, I was using a Prince Duratac replacement grip only and when it compresses it feels much thinner.

I'm using a Wilson Profile overgrip, bought a 3 pack while I wait for my Gamma Dermagrip 30 pack to be delivered home. Maybe the Dermagrip makes it feel much thinner.

I haven't hit with it yet, I'll probably do that on saturday.

Btw, I have stretched the leather grip before wrapping it, then took it off after installing for the first time in order to stretch it even more.

I'm not sure if the leather compresses a while after use, since I've never used one, but if it does compress, how long does it take?

Also( I don't think so, but ), is there a thinner leather grip?

Thanks!

03-10-2010, 12:16 PM
I'm not sure if the leather compresses a while after use, since I've never used one, but if it does compress, how long does it take?

I think (though that might be my imagination, so take it with a grain of salt) that a fresh leather grip "settles in" a bit after one or two hours of use (Babolat VS in my case). But maybe its also just the overgrip that compresses a tiny bit?

03-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Another option for a firmer feel, if you don't get along with leather grips, would be to use Babolat SkinFeel. It's really thin, especially when you strech it a little bit, and makes the bevels stand out almost as much as with a leather grip. Put on a nice thin overgrip and it's the next best thing to leather, IMO. Only caveat though is its weight it's really light, about 12g trimmed on my Vantage 4 3/8, so you will need to compensate for that somehow.

dadozen
03-11-2010, 11:15 AM
Thanks, actually I've already ordered 4 Skin Feel grips. I'll test them side by side with the leather grips. A friend of mine has the PS GT and I've actually felt that the Bab SF really stands out the bevels, so it should be a good option too.

I'm waiting for my Gamma Dermagrips to arrive, they should fit me well. I'm currently using Wilson Profile and it's a bit thick.

As for the weight, I'm also planning to use 1/2 inch wide Gamma lead tape under the replacement grip, if the leather really doesn't work for me.

liftlobby2
04-01-2010, 12:33 AM
i use tw leather ones (under a babolat originals) and the leather grips do seem to settle down permanently, just after a few hours of play. now the change is insignificant when i replace my overgrips. i didnt stretch the leather grips before putting it on and i still dont get any problems.

i get the same frustration as you because everytime i put on a fresh main grip, it definitely feels much more thicker and i have to adjust to it. so this solution definitely worked for me! yay!

dadozen
04-01-2010, 01:11 PM
The leather grips seem to have compressed a bit, while Gamma Dermagrip really worked for me( thin and tacky ). So I have the perfect grip size on the most used racquets, the ones that I still didn't use have a tad larger grip, due to leather still not compressed .

I have just received 4 Babolat Skin Feel, I'll try them on my AG100s while TW doesn't stock up the leather grips. If I like it better, then I order other 4 SFs for my 4D300Tours, otherwise I keep with the leather grip. I just need to check if my hand will get 100% used to all the new callouses:lol: