PDA

View Full Version : All pros use lead at 3 and 9?

B.B.
03-05-2010, 09:06 PM
Well do they, and if so do they counter weight?

JStar7
03-05-2010, 09:15 PM
No not all of them. Alot of pros have Depolarized rackets, and use lead at 3 & 9 and then counter weigh with lead at any location on the handle, like Djokovic, Delpo, and many others. But then there's the Polarized bunch, who use lead at 12 and counter balance with lead an inch up from the butt. Polarizers would be guys who hit with good spin like Nadal and Federer. There's a thread on this in the Racquets section.

B.B.
03-06-2010, 12:54 AM
No not all of them. Alot of pros have Depolarized rackets, and use lead at 3 & 9 and then counter weigh with lead at any location on the handle, like Djokovic, Delpo, and many others. But then there's the Polarized bunch, who use lead at 12 and counter balance with lead an inch up from the butt. Polarizers would be guys who hit with good spin like Nadal and Federer. There's a thread on this in the Racquets section.

Ok thanks. Seems to be a good idea. I used to play with lead at 3 and 9 and under handle but when I removed it on the head I felt like the speed on the head returned and ther was more spin. But the stability got worse again...think a little lead on the head is a good idea though.

AJK1
03-06-2010, 02:41 AM

What a lot of rubbish, all the top players hit with tremendous spin.

JStar7
03-06-2010, 06:06 AM
What a lot of rubbish, all the top players hit with tremendous spin.

Your right. The depolarizers usually hit very flat b/c the lead at 3 & 9 and counter weight in the handle tends to make shots flat. Check the racquets section there's a whole thread on this.

[d]ragon
03-06-2010, 11:01 AM

Djokovic uses a very polarized setup
Wawrinka, who hits rather hard and flat also uses a polarized set-up
I don't recall seeing any threads showing where pros put lead in the handle

I'm not too sure you know what you're talking about

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
03-06-2010, 11:19 AM
Agree with Dragon.
Polarized is putting lead in the top half of the head and the handle.
Depolarized would be lead at throat and just above the handle.

xFullCourtTenniSx
03-06-2010, 12:56 PM
ragon;4449408']Wawrinka, who hits rather hard and flat also uses a polarized set-up

I recall Wawrinka hitting rather spinny shots. At the very least off his backhand and serve... Though I could be mistaken. I saw it on youtube in a video of him and Federer practicing for the Davis Cup.

If you look at p1tennis.com/media then you will see that some pros (like Wawrinka and Federer) use lead under the bumper and not at 3&9.

And AJK1... Yes pros hit with a lot of spin... But the flat hitters hover around 1500-2500 rpm. The spin hitters are around 2500-3000 rpm. Federer is around upper 2000s to mid 3000s. Nadal is in the upper 3000s to the low 4000s. See a massive difference in who REALLY hits with tremendous spin? Agassi was around 1700 off both wings. Nadal's forehand is like 4200 rpm. Federer's is like 3500 or 3700 max. Sampras' backhand was around 2000 believe it or not.

iplaybetter
03-06-2010, 01:27 PM
some amount at 3 and 9 are common, it makes for a more stable frame and is a nice place to put lead when counter weighted it is much mroe neutral then lead at 12

decades
03-06-2010, 01:33 PM
ragon;4449408']Djokovic uses a very polarized setup
Wawrinka, who hits rather hard and flat also uses a polarized set-up
I don't recall seeing any threads showing where pros put lead in the handle

I'm not too sure you know what you're talking about

most of the pros tend to have a less head light set up than non pros who use "players" raquets. As such they may not need to counter the weight in the head as much. Having said that my understanding is that pros start off with very light frames and will need to add weight at the butt, beyond the leather which many use.

[d]ragon
03-06-2010, 01:54 PM
I recall Wawrinka hitting rather spinny shots. At the very least off his backhand and serve... Though I could be mistaken. I saw it on youtube in a video of him and Federer practicing for the Davis Cup.

If you look at p1tennis.com/media then you will see that some pros (like Wawrinka and Federer) use lead under the bumper and not at 3&9.

His backhand he sometimes hits spinny but his forehand is hard and flat as is his first serve.
I've seen the pics of Wawrinka's racquet with the lead at under the bumpers that's why I said he uses a polarized setup because the lead is concentrated at the top

most of the pros tend to have a less head light set up than non pros who use "players" raquets. As such they may not need to counter the weight in the head as much. Having said that my understanding is that pros start off with very light frames and will need to add weight at the butt, beyond the leather which many use.

Didn't say they didn't put weight in the handle, just that no one (except their customizers) knows where in the handle it's placed

JStar7
03-06-2010, 01:58 PM

And AJK1... Yes pros hit with a lot of spin... But the flat hitters hover around 1500-2500 rpm. The spin hitters are around 2500-3000 rpm. Federer is around upper 2000s to mid 3000s. Nadal is in the upper 3000s to the low 4000s. See a massive difference in who REALLY hits with tremendous spin? Agassi was around 1700 off both wings. Nadal's forehand is like 4200 rpm. Federer's is like 3500 or 3700 max. Sampras' backhand was around 2000 believe it or not.

This confirms i'm not an idiot :)

Mansewerz
03-06-2010, 02:13 PM
I think that thread was more of a guideline. Also, I believe that travelerjm puts way to much weight on how the racquet is allowing him to play as good as he does rather than his own skill (pun intended :D).

The racquet just may be more beneficial to that type of game. A serve and volley flat hitter can play pretty well with the polarized frame too.

xFullCourtTenniSx
03-06-2010, 09:37 PM
ragon;4449739']His backhand he sometimes hits spinny but his forehand is hard and flat as is his first serve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M5IeTDDhqY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayf4o81rS5c&feature=related

Seems rather spinny to me. Granted, he doesn't get as much net clearance as my memory had me believe, though those are still rather spinny strokes with low net clearance. You can see the arc and dip on them, serve included. Just cause he can hit that flat bomb doesn't make him a flat hitter. But he doesn't hit with as much spin as I initially remember. Safin hits flatter than that though (barring that last forehand of course, on which I won't take sides).