PDA

View Full Version : The Sharapova Endorsement Machine Keeps Rolling

West Coast Ace
05-03-2005, 08:31 PM
Another big endorsement deal for Maria:

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=2050062

wildbill88AA
05-03-2005, 09:34 PM
and now you know why the other russian women resent her.

Maria Sharapova is quickly proving that beauty and game are a slam dunk in the marketing world

well said.

Ben42
05-04-2005, 07:20 AM
I gotta say, I just don't get it. She's not that pretty, and she's really annoying. That scream/moan/squeal/ grunt and inaproppriate fist pumps?

She bugs me.

(I know, I know. Scream/moan/squeal grunt SOUNDS hot, but on her it's just annoying)

35ft6
05-04-2005, 07:41 AM
It shouldn't surprise anybody that Maria is getting all the endorsements.

Basically, women get these types of gigs for:

1) Beauty: e.g. Models, who are known for nothing but beauty. Lots of girls want to be models.
2) Fame: e.g. Actresses. Lots of girls want to be actresses.
3) Accomplishment: Most rare, and generally they have to be accomplished AND good looking, e.g. Mia Hamm. More and more girls want to be known for being good at something, and not just because guys want to nail them.

So Maria fits all three perfectly. The companies can claim to be perpetuating more than just a "be beautiful" message. It's a total no-brainer. At this point perhaps the only thing better is if a beautiful female astronaut gave birth to twins in space. Holy cow what a great endorsement she would make.

West Coast Ace
05-04-2005, 07:43 PM
I gotta say, I just don't get it. She's not that pretty, and she's really annoying. That scream/moan/squeal/ grunt and inaproppriate fist pumps?

She bugs me.

(I know, I know. Scream/moan/squeal grunt SOUNDS hot, but on her it's just annoying)'Not that pretty' - got Troll?

I'd also like to hear why the fist pumps are inappropriate. Maybe her old man's but to me hers show that she's out there battling and competing. I hope the fans who buy the tickets and support the events respect the fact that when Maria is playing, she's giving maximum effort and not just showing up to pick up a check. If the fist pumps throw off any of her opponents, too bad for them - I hear Home Depot is hiring.

Chloe
05-04-2005, 07:53 PM
I don't think that she's that pretty either. Having seen her and dozens of other wta players in the flesh, I can safely say that she't not even the hottest MARIA on tour ;)

wildbill88AA
05-04-2005, 08:37 PM
I don't think that she's that pretty either. Having seen her and dozens of other wta players in the flesh, I can safely say that she't not even the hottest MARIA on tour ;)

all the other maria needs is some game.

Chloe
05-04-2005, 10:04 PM
The other Maria has game. Just not nearly as much.

I don't wonder why Sharapova gets all the endorsements, btw. I'm just saying... I've seen better. On the bus. Everyday. *shrug*

Ben42
05-05-2005, 12:12 PM
'Not that pretty' - got Troll?

I'd also like to hear why the fist pumps are inappropriate. Maybe her old man's but to me hers show that she's out there battling and competing. I hope the fans who buy the tickets and support the events respect the fact that when Maria is playing, she's giving maximum effort and not just showing up to pick up a check. If the fist pumps throw off any of her opponents, too bad for them - I hear Home Depot is hiring.

I think a fist pump after almost every point is annoying. I think a fist pump after an unforced error from your opponent is annoying. I think a fist pump after hitting a net cord winner IS ANNOYING.

Look, I'm not a troll. I just don't find her attractive in the least. I can see where some would, I don't. The whole scream/grunt, cold, ice-princess, phony I-can't-believe-I-won-because-I'm-so-young attitude doesn't do anything to help either.

I wasn't saying you, or anyone else, should also not find her attactive. What I said was I don't see how someone who has a short list of accomplishments and is only attractive to some of the people can have so many lucrative endorsement.

You're right. What a troll I am.

West Coast Ace
05-05-2005, 04:44 PM
Sorry Ben, I still think you're a troll. I'm not buying the 'I don't think she's attractive' comment. By any realistic measurement she is attractive. Now maybe when you date you only ask out 5'6" brunettes - that's a Preference - big difference. So you're statement is just to get a response out of someone - you know that she is attractive - you don't like her - you admit her fist pumps bother you. You, and everyone who says the same thing about Hewitt's "Come on's!" should be happy they are playing to win and not just showing up to collect appearance fees. When one of these pros starts belittling their opponent, then you'd be justified.

Ben42
05-06-2005, 07:23 AM
Ok, WCA. You got me. I'm a troll. She is clearly the most beautiful woman in the world by any objective standard and I was just trolling so you and I could engage in this stimulating debate.

Happy now?