PDA

View Full Version : 2010 USTA National Campus Championship

allez_mike
03-09-2010, 08:35 AM
Anyone going to be there in Surprise, Arizona on April 14-17? It's the official club tennis Nationals tournament...should be a blast!

ssgator80
03-09-2010, 01:26 PM
Mike, do you play for a team? That does sound like a lot of fun. If only I could do it over again. I'm 48 and went to UF in the mid 80's.

10isDad
03-09-2010, 02:52 PM
For those that are there, just a notice: there is going to be an exhibition match on April the 15th at the Village Racquet Club (44th & Camelback in Phoenix (about an hour from Surprise)) between Andrei Pavel and John McEnroe.

Think about making the trip, enjoying some great tennis and catching a good meal a couple miles south at TeePee - awesome Mexican food.

allez_mike
03-09-2010, 06:07 PM
Hey guys! Yes, gator, I'll be making the trip from Indiana University, and this is my first year playing club. So far it's been fun, and the opportunity to go to Nationals is huge! Your Gators are going to be there too, along with 63 other teams--including us.

10isdad, thanks for the heads up, that sounds awesome! I've always wanted to see the legend Johnny Mac in person...and mexican food sounds amazing too

ssgator80
03-10-2010, 02:39 AM
Mike, how many from your school will be making the trip? What is the format - Is it the same as regular college tennis - 6 singles/3 doubles? What year are you in school?

Who Dey Nation
03-10-2010, 08:11 AM
Its World team tennis.....

So one mens singles one womens singles
one mens doubles and one womens doubles
And everyone's favorite Mixed

Up to 8 players per team with a minimum of 4

Most teams have one or two 5.0 mens players with some even being around 5.5 (old college players that are going to grad school, top 18 and unders that didn't play college)

Its Also biased off games, so if you can get more that one break and win 2,1, or 0 its a HUGE help to your team.

From what I have observed so far the teams that seem to do the best are the teams with really good women, the mens for the most part is pretty competitive. If your team has 3 really solid girls you have a really good chance.

The format works pretty well, you can get around 4-5 matches in a full day (8-9 AM start)

Good Luck Mike! Hope U of A and UNM rep the SW well!!

allez_mike
03-12-2010, 02:05 PM
Mike, how many from your school will be making the trip? What is the format - Is it the same as regular college tennis - 6 singles/3 doubles? What year are you in school?

I'm a junior, and 8 of us, including me, are going. We have 5 guys and 3 girls, all of which are skilled.

Tzar
04-15-2010, 10:30 PM
OMG I play for USF and we lost in SF's at states so we didn't go because they went from 3 bids to 2 bids this year. A third florida team went but because of a WC. Next year we'll be back at 3 bids. I'm a freshman so I still have 3 more years to go :p.

My very good friend plays for FGCU and they were winning today +6 against cornell before the mixed doubles and somehow they lost 6-0 and then in the tie break so they made only the Silver bracket. but UCF and UF are in the golden bracket, proving again that Florida is one of the toughest states in tennis.

jamauss
04-15-2010, 10:58 PM
I'm doing the racquet stringing at this event - there are a ton of kids here. Who did TW send out to manage their booth this year?

AlexTennisAllDayLong
04-16-2010, 08:33 PM
i was watching this tonight, very cool...never seen so many schools play

allez_mike
04-17-2010, 01:40 PM
UC berkeley vs. flo rida in the finals today at 4pm local time. Such a great atmosphere playing against other schools...great experience as well

Fedace
04-18-2010, 02:19 PM
Pics of cute girls are in order...

jamauss
04-18-2010, 08:59 PM
Cal womped all over Florida...Florida was just out matched. Especially in womens singles & doubles. Good tourney overall - I wish we could keep hosting it here in AZ but I think it moves back to Cary, NC next year.

AndrewD
04-18-2010, 11:21 PM
I'm a junior, and 8 of us, including me, are going. We have 5 guys and 3 girls, all of which are skilled.

Is there some rule which stops players who are on the varsity team competing in the National Campus Championship ?

roddick_rulz
04-19-2010, 06:36 AM
Pics of cute girls are in order...

^^Agreeddd

!<-_->!
04-19-2010, 09:34 AM
Is there some rule which stops players who are on the varsity team competing in the National Campus Championship ?

I believe each club team is allowed one varsity player.

skyzoo
04-19-2010, 04:34 PM
How did UDel do this year?

Ambivalent
04-19-2010, 06:43 PM
I believe each club team is allowed one varsity player.

UC Berkeley had a guy on their team who played varsity for UC Davis before.
He played doubles and mixed doubles and destroyed.

Ambivalent
04-19-2010, 06:45 PM
How did UDel do this year?

They are in the Tier 4 Copper bracket, which means they lost all 3 of their pool matches. They won their first and second matches in bracket play. They lost their third to Lone Star College - Cyfair, and won in their fourth against Clemson.

That puts them in 51st place out of 64.

!<-_->!
04-19-2010, 07:01 PM
UC Berkeley had a guy on their team who played varsity for UC Davis before.
He played doubles and mixed doubles and destroyed.

Was it Peter?

allez_mike
04-19-2010, 08:13 PM
Was it Peter?

It was Peter indeed. Freakin siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick, his volleys were phenomenal, he turned 80mph balls into drop shot volleys like it was literally...nothing

allez_mike
04-19-2010, 08:15 PM
OMG I play for USF and we lost in SF's at states so we didn't go because they went from 3 bids to 2 bids this year. A third florida team went but because of a WC. Next year we'll be back at 3 bids. I'm a freshman so I still have 3 more years to go :p.

My very good friend plays for FGCU and they were winning today +6 against cornell before the mixed doubles and somehow they lost 6-0 and then in the tie break so they made only the Silver bracket. but UCF and UF are in the golden bracket, proving again that Florida is one of the toughest states in tennis.

We lost a very close one to FGCU, all the matches either went to tie-breaks or were 6-4. They were a solid team, but especially solid was J. Rossi, he was sick

Tzar
05-29-2010, 10:25 PM
We lost a very close one to FGCU, all the matches either went to tie-breaks or were 6-4. They were a solid team, but especially solid was J. Rossi, he was sick

I played him once in the UCF tournament, it was a single set match. I was leading 3-0 and then blew it. I lost it 4-6. I've played the other joe like 3 or 4 times.

My friend's name is Kelly, she's a colombian girl, dark curly hair, really good player.

And about the UF girl's being weak, they only have one really good girl, she almost ousted our #1 girl (who turns out to be my best friend) in the UM tournament, whoever our girl won that match (QF) and the title. She won the UM Singles tournament for the third year in a row.