PDA

View Full Version : Good tennis camp in California (Orange County)

new_west
05-04-2005, 04:47 AM
This summer, I'm planning to go to a tennis camp in the US. I'm staying in the Orange County Area during the months of June and July. I'll be going back and forth from San Diego, LA and Irvine. A camp in those areas would be good. Last year I went to Ed Collins in San Diego. It was an okay camp. I really want a rigorous camp that guarantees some improvement in my game. I've been looking at the Nike, UCLA, USD camps. If any of you have gone and have past expeirences in a Junior camp in Orange County, do guys have any suggestion in where I should go? any help is greatly appreciated.

goober
05-04-2005, 05:31 AM
Check out these camps

UCLA Bruin Tennis Camp for juniors

Weil Tennis Academy
Ojai, California

goober
05-04-2005, 05:33 AM
I don't know of any specifically in Orange County

teather
04-26-2006, 12:05 PM
one of my friends went to the allegreduncan tennis camp last year and said it was really great,the coaches were really professional and experienced.their website is www.allegreduncantennis.com

Yuki Kirihara
04-26-2006, 09:00 PM
Your only post is an advertisement? Fake, anyone?

From reading information about it, it doesn't appear to be amazing. I can't say anything about the quality of instruction, but a full day on the court is $475. For seven hours. Three hours, a half day (9-12, full day is 9 A.M. to 4 P.M.) is $300.

There is a 6:1 camper to coach ratio.

The location looks nice, but it's a bit expensive. A day isn't that much.

I could, of course, be wrong, and I don't know much about prices on camps except for a couple. Even so, it seems rather obscene.

Teather, would you have any other information?

goober
04-26-2006, 09:13 PM
Your only post is an advertisement? Fake, anyone?

From reading information about it, it doesn't appear to be amazing. I can't say anything about the quality of instruction, but a full day on the court is $475. For seven hours. Three hours, a half day (9-12, full day is 9 A.M. to 4 P.M.) is $300.

There is a 6:1 camper to coach ratio.

The location looks nice, but it's a bit expensive. A day isn't that much.

I could, of course, be wrong, and I don't know much about prices on camps except for a couple. Even so, it seems rather obscene.

Teather, would you have any other information?

$300 for a half day 3 hour camp is outrageous. That's $100/hr for instruction with 5 other students doing this?

09:00 Demonstration

09:15 Run & Stretch

09:30 Instructions & Drills

10:30 Match play / league

12:00 Lunch

You can get personalized 1 on 1 instruction with a top private coach $75/hr and some for even less than that. Last time I called Newks camp a 3 hour morning session was $70 (instruction/drills only no lunch).

teather
04-26-2006, 10:14 PM
my friend never paid that much when he went to the camp.
could it be the cost for the whole week?
what do other camps charge?

Yuki Kirihara
04-27-2006, 05:42 PM
I'm pretty sure it was just for the day.

I'm not too sure on other camps. I don't think even Bollettieri's charges $300 plus per day.

I've gone to the Northstar tennis camp, it's up at Lake Tahoe. Not quite Orange County, but just an example of a camp.

Excellent camp, for both juniors and adults. For the advanced juniors, it was $345 for five days, four hours a day, excellent facilities (pool and gym right next to it), and four campers per coach. It was cheaper for younger kids, I think for small kids around $180 for five days, around $250 for intermediates.

For adults it was similar prices, I have the junior ones because I set it up for my nephew.

I haven't been to any others, but $300 for half a day is, as you said, absurd.

goober
04-27-2006, 10:34 PM
I'm pretty sure it was just for the day.

I'm not too sure on other camps. I don't think even Bollettieri's charges $300 plus per day.

I've gone to the Northstar tennis camp, it's up at Lake Tahoe. Not quite Orange County, but just an example of a camp.

Excellent camp, for both juniors and adults. For the advanced juniors, it was $345 for five days, four hours a day, excellent facilities (pool and gym right next to it), and four campers per coach. It was cheaper for younger kids, I think for small kids around $180 for five days, around $250 for intermediates.

For adults it was similar prices, I have the junior ones because I set it up for my nephew.

I haven't been to any others, but $300 for half a day is, as you said, absurd.

question about Northstar camp. If you bring family (adults and kids) that are non tennis players is there enough to do there so they don't get completely bored for a week?

LN_Dad
04-28-2006, 08:20 PM
NewWest, if you're a tournament-level player there's a no frills tennis camp at the Costa Mesa tennis center (5 miles from Irvine) ran by 3 ex ATP/Challenger players with lots of good juniors. A daily 3hr workout costs just $65. You can go to the beach in the afternoon or hang out to take a private lesson from one of those guys if you want to.