PDA

View Full Version : Predictions for Roddick v. Verdasco

DoubleHanded&LovinIt
05-04-2005, 08:15 AM
Roddick had a great win against Costa, no slouch on clay. Nice to see Andy getting it together on clay. Andy's talked about how losing a little weight and getting in shape has helped him on clay. Some quality wins in the dirt have given him some confidence. However, his next matchup will be a dog-fight against Fernando Verdasco. These two split their two matchups on hardcourts this year. Both were extremely tight (of course, Roddick had to retire from the second matchup that was very close). So in theory, in their matchups on hardcourts were close, Verdasco should cruise on clay. I'm not so sure. I think Roddick will pull this one out, in another very, very, close match. Good luck to him.

arodnadal
05-04-2005, 08:30 AM
GO ANDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i thoght he would lose to costa but seeing he won that im gonna go with andy winning this one in three or losing in three, either way he is gonna lose the first set that is my prediction

TwistServe
05-04-2005, 08:36 AM
Roddick has been pretty hot lately.. he's no nadal but verdasco suxor!... So my prediction is for Andy

gugafanatic
05-04-2005, 08:59 AM
CERTAINLY there are some people on these board that have ruled out A.Rod's chances of making it to the third rd at RG. He is more then capable on playing on the dirt, as hes movement recently suggests. People perhaps need to be reminded of hes good performance against Nadal in the DAVIS cup, one of the few ocassions someone has not been waxed by the Spaniard.

arodnadal
05-04-2005, 09:19 AM
great post gugafanatic i agree with you wholeheartedly

nn
05-04-2005, 09:24 AM
yeap he has won first title on clay. In last two years he lost in FO in first round otherwise his record is not too bad. Looks like under new coach he is doing right things. Net game improving and also no more two shots player. He is improving on all court player.

federerhoogenbandfan
05-04-2005, 10:14 AM
Verdasco played Roddick almost even on hard courts this year. Fernando should win if he plays even decently, on clay. Hopefully that is what he does when they meet next.

rafael
05-04-2005, 11:03 AM
Impressive win by Roddick downing Costa. Verdasco should provide for an interesting match. I think Verdasco has the edge on clay but Roddick is playing impressively on the surface.

Gemini
05-04-2005, 11:09 AM
Verdasco in straight sets is my bet.

the_arod
05-04-2005, 11:30 AM
did andy lose a service game thsi tournament, I think the key to the win is his serve.

Rodzilla
05-04-2005, 01:49 PM
I think Mr. Roddick's getting the feel for this stuff. His form has looked good so far and I'm cashing in on a Roddick win. He beat a former 'French' champion. Not only is his service the key, but also his movement and forehand. Could it be the Lacoste clothing? LOL. Of course not, it's the hard work he's put in with his coach and off the court. Sidenote- I just received the date for Andy's Charity event on December 11, Sunday through a letter sent by his foundation. I'm planning to go like I did last year, which included an exhibition with Krickstein, JMac, Grosjean, Evert, and Schultz-McCarthy. In the letter, they were proud to announce that Andre Agassi will also be joining them this year, which is nice to see. I had a lot of fun and it was a memorable experience for Andy's charity last year, so I'm highly encouraging others to go. Tickets go on sale starting June 6th on Andy's website www.andyroddick.com, to find out more go there also.

VamosRafa
05-04-2005, 02:43 PM
Yes, the key to Andy's game is his serve, and the key to Verdasco's is his forehand. Depends upon how both are firing tomorrow. Verdasco's game matches up well with Andy's -- so it could be an interesting match.

Misiti99
05-04-2005, 02:56 PM
I dont see Roddicks win over Costa that impressive. Last week Costa lost first round of Barcelona to Max Mirnyi..a serve and vollyer. Andy is not even a serve and vollyer..he can hang out back there and hes got a heavy forehand...I say str8 sets vs. Verdasco....maybe in three.....

devila
05-04-2005, 03:43 PM
The serve isn't the main thing. It's the movement around the court.
The effective winners from today's match came from returns, not from great serves.

gugafanatic
05-04-2005, 06:06 PM
(on playing Verdasco) "He's nasty. Throwing another Spaniard at me. You know, we had a tough match in Indian Wells , and he was getting the better of me in Miami before I had to stop. So, you know, it's going to be a tough one. I'm going to have to keep my level up".

Go Andy!. Would love to see him prove some people wrong about hes game being too 1-dimensional and not patient enough for the long rallies on the clay.

Vlad
05-04-2005, 06:53 PM
I think Roddick will prevail, and I won't be surprised if he wins this tournament. I doubt Nadal will be able to reach later rounds on this ultra fast clay of Rome. Having said that don't expect him to do very well at RG. Clay is much slower there and he might win couple of matches but no more than that.

gugafanatic
05-04-2005, 07:20 PM
Vlad based on current results and hes the two matches played in Rome, Nadal is the hot favorite.

DurablePants
05-04-2005, 09:19 PM
I think Roddick will prevail, and I won't be surprised if he wins this tournament. I doubt Nadal will be able to reach later rounds on this ultra fast clay of Rome. Having said that don't expect him to do very well at RG. Clay is much slower there and he might win couple of matches but no more than that.

what do you mean? are you saying that nadal isnt good at fast or slow clay courts and only good at medium ones?????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????

Andy Hewitt
05-04-2005, 09:24 PM
Verdasco in straight sets is my bet.
unfortunately this guy be spittin da troofff.

arodnadal
05-05-2005, 03:41 AM
Nadal is fine on fast courts. Look at OZ open.

federer_nadal
05-05-2005, 03:50 AM
Vlad he is a good player on hard courts and clay have a look at his career. It isnt an ultra fast court anyway it is just a fast clay court

Marius_Hancu
05-05-2005, 03:51 AM
Very tough match for Roddick. I think Verdasco will win this one, but Roddick seems to be in good shape, thus who knows ...

Ariel
05-05-2005, 05:49 AM
Let's not get crazy here. A-Rod had two wins over G Rudenski, perhaps the worst mover that the game has seen, and an aging Costa in full decline. Verdasco is going to be a good test for him, but even that one is not a 'true' test. Playing Nadal, Coria, Canas, Ferrero, Gaudio or Federer could be a good one.

Rob_C
05-05-2005, 09:18 AM
Well Verdasco is at it again, smacking winners left & right aganist Roddick. I started watching the match in the 2nd set tiebreak. Roddick was up a set & a break, I think there was a controversy about a line call or something. Apparently Roddick had match point in the 2nd set, and according to the commentators, the umpire was about to call game, set, match Roddick, but the point either got replayed, or went to Verdasco's favor.

Anyway, in the 3rd, its been all Verdasco, winners all over the place.

TwistServe
05-05-2005, 09:20 AM
Too bad I wanted to see roddick on clay some more.