PDA

View Full Version : JOHANSSON: Dropped from outer space?

Colpo
02-23-2004, 08:55 AM
I know this guy had a history before this year, but talk about a fast rise. Plus, vast amounts of TV time. Looks to be a real threat come the grass court season. Seems to have a simple, no-frills power game, without unforced errors! Could be top ten by year's end. Let's just say that Blake is sick of playing him already!

BreakPoint
02-23-2004, 12:45 PM
If this guy ever develops some variety with some serve-and-volley mixed in -- watch out Federer at Wimby!

But then again, that other Swede that knew a thing or two about grass court tennis, i.e., Bjorn Borg, was never a pure serve-and-volleyer, either.

Max G.
02-23-2004, 01:23 PM
A big serve doesn't mean grasscourt success. He also needs solid volleys and, more importantly, RETURNS to do well on grass. From what I've read, he's had an insanely high first serve percentage in the past couple of tournaments.

That, to me, is a sign that he's absolutely zoned. Sure, he can be a world-beater when he's zoned and not missing any first serves - but what will he do on a more average day, when his percentage is between 50 and 60? I just don't think that he can keep up a 70+ first serve percentage. Sure, he'll be good - but how good he'll be will be determined by how well he plays on an off day.

@wright
02-23-2004, 01:58 PM
He was delivered by a stork, haven't you heard?

PureCarlosMoyaDrive
02-23-2004, 07:06 PM
He's awesome right now, and grass actually could be perfect for him. Flat strokes, one-hander, and a huge serve. He has a go-for-broke return style like Sampras, and could lead to some success on grass. Hope he does well the whole year. He's #49 now, maybe he'll be top 20 but more likely top 30 at years-end.

riaz10spro
02-27-2004, 08:26 AM
My man here PCMD has got it just about right with JJ.
End of the year top 30, good run at Wimby, some big name wins too!
Fish and Blake will be shakin in their boots come Davis Cup time!

PureCarlosMoyaDrive
02-27-2004, 06:28 PM
Riaz, I love this. And ya, this is just one more reason to not put Blake in singles for DC, he'll get murdered by Johannson again.

riaz10spro
02-28-2004, 09:25 PM
PCMD -
Thanks for hitting today with CB! You guys are doing brilliant and will reap the benefits this season.
We'll talk ATP this week.

Bouncin' Out!

Coach