PDA

View Full Version : Federer - AO2010 Faster Racket Head Speed

hyper_raiden
03-10-2010, 05:28 PM
One thing I noticed was Fed's racket speed is a bit faster using the new racket. I believe it's cuz either:

1. He did strength training for his arm during the off season and he's generating faster racket speeds now.

2. He uses a new custom that's a teed bit lighter ( I believe this is so)

3. It's cuz of the pj and it's the colours playing tricks on the eye that his swing is faster

But i've done some comparison and i really do believe it's no.2.

What do you guys think?

chancep2120
03-10-2010, 05:51 PM
To be honest with you man, I don't think Fed changed anything. He played very well and was motivated to win.

corners
03-10-2010, 06:34 PM
One thing I noticed was Fed's racket speed is a bit faster using the new racket. I believe it's cuz either:

1. He did strength training for his arm during the off season and he's generating faster racket speeds now.

2. He uses a new custom that's a teed bit lighter ( I believe this is so)

3. It's cuz of the pj and it's the colours playing tricks on the eye that his swing is faster

What do you guys think?

Maybe he was a little faster. There was an article in the NYTimes where it was said that Fed was working on flattening out his forehand in the offseason. I don't really think I saw that at AO, but then again it's hard to tell how much spin is on shots when you watch on TV. If he did flatten it out a bit then it would move faster, even without increasing racquet head speed.

I have a hunch that Fed upped his swingweight sometime in the past 5 years or so. On early film, like from 04, 05, it looks to me like he's got more racquet head speed than in recent years, especially the last two. But it may be Fed and his technique and have nothing to do with racquets.

bfactor61
03-11-2010, 11:11 AM
i bet is the new paint of the blx that looks faster than the k-factor.....but he hasn't changed anything

AJK1
03-11-2010, 03:37 PM
His new wristband is more streamlined than the previous ones, therefore his arm swings throught the air faster!

dadozen
03-12-2010, 10:56 AM
I think he now brushes his arm hair, which produces less air resistance, thus making his swing faster.

Xenakis
03-12-2010, 11:02 AM
The stuff about the wristband and the arm hair is correct, I worked with a guy whose cousin did the wind tunnel testing for Fed's arm in Zurich at the end of last year.

He said Fed's arm now has a drag coefficient of 0.145, impressive stuff.

ChrisBackAtIt
03-12-2010, 09:11 PM
The stuff about the wristband and the arm hair is correct, I worked with a guy whose cousin did the wind tunnel testing for Fed's arm in Zurich at the end of last year.

I heard he actually had his arm hair replaced with the hair of unicorns, which is known for being lighter than human hair...also, he drinks the hopes and dreams of his opponents on changeovers. This explains his added lifeforce.

vincent_tennis
03-12-2010, 09:58 PM
oh god why does every federer Racquet thread become a troll-man's land? (no-mans land? WW1?)

AJK1
03-13-2010, 01:31 AM
oh god why does every federer Racquet thread become a troll-man's land? (no-mans land? WW1?)

Because most of them are so fu**ing stupid!

NikeUp
03-13-2010, 02:49 AM
Because most of them are so fu**ing stupid!

too right. "I saw he had faster racket head speed" i mean please.....

hyper_raiden
03-13-2010, 03:05 AM
haha doesn't mean you have to be so rude around here
if you don't like the post then don't reply =]

and i agree with corners about him upping his swingweight.
that's why i think he took a bit of lead off his racket this year.

Xenakis
03-13-2010, 04:16 AM
These days pros hair is all pj'd unicorn hair it's true. It's naturally white but they bleach and treat it in Austria.

It's only done for the pros but now and again some wigs or sets of hair come up for sale on the auction site for high prices.

The other option is get your own unicorn, bleach the hair and find a surgeon who can do the transplant work.

If you want a 130+mph serve you've got to be dedicated, and well financed.

Of course you can cut costs like Blake, Ljubicic and Davydenko etc but then you miss out on the whole bandana thing which many players are not willing to do as they look so stylish and tasteful. Like part of a camp carnival pirate outfit with a big cheesy logo on it.

AJK1
03-13-2010, 03:19 PM
Agassi tried to gain some speed around the court by shaving his head, it worked for a while, but his age was against him in the end....

JStar7
03-13-2010, 03:55 PM

I heard he actually had his arm hair replaced with the hair of unicorns, which is known for being lighter than human hair...also, he drinks the hopes and dreams of his opponents on changeovers. This explains his added lifeforce.

These days pros hair is all pj'd unicorn hair it's true. It's naturally white but they bleach and treat it in Austria.

It's only done for the pros but now and again some wigs or sets of hair come up for sale on the auction site for high prices.

The other option is get your own unicorn, bleach the hair and find a surgeon who can do the transplant work.

If you want a 130+mph serve you've got to be dedicated, and well financed.

Of course you can cut costs like Blake, Ljubicic and Davydenko etc but then you miss out on the whole bandana thing which many players are not willing to do as they look so stylish and tasteful. Like part of a camp carnival pirate outfit with a big cheesy logo on it.

You guys are taking this thread wayyy wayyy too far. Smh.

vincent_tennis
03-14-2010, 03:10 AM
+ barry i cant believe u actually posted it here...

big bang
03-14-2010, 05:47 AM
how about this:

One thing I noticed was Fed's foot speed is a bit faster using the new shoe. I believe it's cuz either:

1. He did strength training for his legs during the off season and he's generating faster foot speed now.

2. He uses a new custom shoe that's a teed bit lighter ( I believe this is so)

3. It's cuz of the pj and it's the colours playing tricks on the eye that he runs faster

What do you guys think?

hyper_raiden
03-14-2010, 10:14 PM
hey come on, if you would watch some clips, no matter slow mo or highlight clips you really could tell his racket speed was faster before.

If pros don't like precise things, why would Fed still be wearing last year's shoe in this year's lunarlite pj -_-

I dunno when ppl on talktennis became so rude =_=
I'm just sharing my personal opinion if you don't like it then move along. If you guys would just watch some videos of him and do a little comparison before ranting about unicorn hairs and stuff.

vincent_tennis
03-14-2010, 11:54 PM
LoL TT = Trolls Territory

vincent_tennis
03-14-2010, 11:56 PM
btw one a more seriious note: to confirm this just need 2 slow mos of fed from last year with the same fps then track the motion with the same method as ticker tape.