PDA

View Full Version : Berlin: Spoilers!

Marius_Hancu
05-04-2005, 02:48 PM
(12) Justine Henin-Hardenne (BEL) d. Iveta Benesova (CZE) 75 46 61

(12) Justine Henin-Hardenne (BEL) d. Maria Kirilenko (RUS) 26 61 63

(11) Kim Clijsters (BEL) d. Dinara Safina (RUS) 75 62

Great to see JHH playing 6 sets in a day and winning, over Kirilenko.

Also, Safina can't get through the big ones.

Marius_Hancu
05-04-2005, 02:52 PM
It's a shame to see tomorrow JHH scheduled again on 2nd court. She's the in form clay player, damn!

This is why probably they don't get spectators and needed to call this tournament

The Qatar Total German Open

in order to get some sponsorship money ...

Marius_Hancu
05-05-2005, 05:59 AM
What a shocker. Kim up a set, had to retire:

(7) Patty Schnyder (SUI) d. (11) Kim Clijsters (BEL) 67(4) 65 ret. (right knee strain)

(1) Maria Sharapova (RUS) d. Shuai Peng (CHN) 62 61

this makes things easy for Sharapova to get to #1, if she gets by JHH in the QF, as Kim was in the SF path.

Marius_Hancu
05-05-2005, 08:38 AM
It's arranged, they'll meet in the QF:-)

Fin. M. Sharapova 6 6
S. Peng 2 1

Fin. J. Henin-Hardenne 4 6 6
K. Peschke 6 4 2

JHH has some difficulty, long matches, will see tomorrow ...

Marius_Hancu
05-06-2005, 09:14 AM
Berlin QF:

Nadia Petrova vs. Amelie Mauresmo 6:2, 6:3

Svetlana Kuznetsova vs. Patty Schnyder 2:6, 2:6
Maria Sharapova vs. Justine Henin-Hardenne 2:6, 4:6

Thus Shara won't get to #1 for the time being I guess.

Allez Justine!

scoot
05-06-2005, 09:25 AM
Woohoo! I'm so happy to see Batty Patty and Juju lay the smack down on Sveta & Sharpy!

Ronaldo
05-06-2005, 09:44 AM
To be #1, you must beat #1. Ok, like, who's #1??????????????????

FuriousYellow
05-06-2005, 09:54 AM
Berlin QF:

Nadia Petrova vs. Amelie Mauresmo 6:2, 6:3

Svetlana Kuznetsova vs. Patty Schnyder 2:6, 2:6
Maria Sharapova vs. Justine Henin-Hardenne 2:6, 4:6

Thus Shara won't get to #1 for the time being I guess.

Allez Justine!

Woohoo! Great win and confidence builder for JHH heading into the final weeks before the FO. She's already gotten herself back up to 15th.

Does the WTA adjust their rankings on set days regardless of whether a tournament is ongoing or do they wait until after the tournament has completed before adding points?

edberg505
05-06-2005, 12:35 PM
Way to go Justine as I was getting very sick of hearing about Sharapova. I'm not sure why people think Sharapova is some sort of juggernaut.

Marius_Hancu
05-06-2005, 12:41 PM
Way to go Justine as I was getting very sick of hearing about Sharapova. I'm not sure why people think Sharapova is some sort of juggernaut.

Shara: she's big, great serve, great groundies (but not that much slice, if any)
Weak: volleys, movement, touch.

She needs a lot of work to get to the technical proficiency, touch or speed of JHH. Perhaps never will she get there.

Still, in these times, with these rackets, she can get to #1.

Grinder
05-07-2005, 05:25 AM
Henin Hardenne just ripped Patty Shnyder a new one, with a 6-0 6-1 victory. She'll play the winner of Jankovic/Petrova. I'm going to predict it'll be Petrova vs. Henin Hardenne, with Henin Hardennse winning in straight sets.

lefty10spro
05-07-2005, 05:52 AM
Good to see that women's tennis still has a few fans left. As to who is #1 - who cares because the WTA ranking system is so flawed that we all laugh at the rankings!

Marius_Hancu
05-07-2005, 07:22 AM
I seems JHH is on a roll. If anyone could stop her at FO, that person deserves the title.

Great to see her back in such a fashion.

jimakros
05-07-2005, 09:48 AM
Justine played a great match,but i think Maria lost because she played badly.
Clay will never be the best thing for Maria but i think if she plays smart and not do so many mistakes and bad choices,things are NOt going to be what they seemed in Berlin.

Justine Fanatic
05-07-2005, 12:06 PM
Justine played a great match,but i think Maria lost because she played badly.
Clay will never be the best thing for Maria but i think if she plays smart and not do so many mistakes and bad choices,things are NOt going to be what they seemed in Berlin.

Maria did not play badly - she didn't have a chance to play. Justine outplayed her. I suppose Maria fans are going to say that she had an off day. A bit like the 6-0, 6-0 off day.

Justine anialated her. Sharapova is too one-dimentional. Yes she is bless her trying to improve a bit with some drop shots (which she only managed a couple, the rest hit the net). I don't think Maria moves enough.

driger
05-07-2005, 01:06 PM
justine fanatic-your soundind like serena the way your trashing justines opponents. there are only a few claY tournaments a year. justines real test will be on hardcourts.

its maria's first clay tournament. we'll see how her next one goes. justine is the best claycourter in the world. hardcourts, grass may be another story. i think maria may just have a bigger game than justine on faster courts. and maria is still only 18 and improving. actually i'm a fan of both. may the best player win. if henin does regain #1, hopefully she'll it with grace, and show her opponents respect.

jimakros
05-08-2005, 04:37 AM
Justinefanatic,i am not trying to take anything away from Justine's win,i said she played a great game,but since i DO happen to be a Maria fan and have seen all of her games i know when she plays badly.
But then again when you make 30 unforced errors what do you call it?
Even if Justine is a better player than Maria on clay,she is not so much better
as to win 6 games in a row.
This was NOT a typical clay match.Justine OUTpowered Maria all through the match!!There were very few rallies and the drop shots accounted for very little.

Serena2
05-08-2005, 11:13 AM
No way-Justine outmatched Sharapova in that match shot for shot. Sharapova played pretty average, she certainly didnt play badly, but just couldnt handle it.

As for their match ups on other surfaces, i think Justine would have the edge there too, as she has far far far more variety and speed than sharapova. Justine has shown in the past that she can match the big hitters in terms of power on both grass and hardcourts.

I expect her to be a real threat at wimbledon this year-probably some of the best volleys in womens tennis and her serve has way more to it than maria's.

The tennis guy
05-08-2005, 11:26 AM
I'd say:

Aus medium hard court, medium advantage JHH;
French, huge advantage JHH;
Wimbledon: huge advantage Sharapova;
US fast hard court, slight advantage Sharapova.

As well as Sharapova has been playing, you have to remember she hasn't win any tournament that doesn't favor flat stroker. Almost all of her wins are either on grass, indoor carpet, or fast hard court. She has been trying to add a little bit more topspin to her game, she is not quite comfortable doing that yet. She is still very vunerable on medium to slow court against players like JHH, Cljisters who change pace and spin very well.

Marius_Hancu
05-08-2005, 11:29 AM
As well as Sharapova has been playing, you have to remember she hasn't win any tournament that doesn't favor flat stroker. Almost all of her wins are either on grass, indoor carpet, or fast hard court. She has been trying to add a little bit more topspin to her game, she is not quite comfortable doing that yet.

That's indeed strange, with all the reverse-forhands she's using, not to have enough topspin, but it seems so.

The tennis guy
05-08-2005, 11:38 AM
That's indeed strange, with all the reverse-forhands she's using, not to have enough topspin, but it seems so.

She plays like Davenport used to play, almost no topspin, which is why she is such high risk player. Davenport worked really hard by adding a touch more top spin to her game. Against other pure power hitters, Sharapova is fine on medium to slow court. However, against players with power and variety of pace and spin, she always has trouble.