PDA

View Full Version : Again Safin lost...

Aykhan Mammadov
05-04-2005, 03:04 PM
Can you list many players to whom he didn't lose ?

I'm wondering why he can't keep himself cool, with fresh mind, coaches can't teach him how not to lose to almost everybody.

Is he really stupid ? If he is, then there is not method to make him clever.

VamosRafa
05-04-2005, 03:08 PM
There's a big discussion on this in the Roma *spoiler* thread, which is where this post should be, IMO, as TTC is just replaying the full hours of coverage.

crosscourt
05-04-2005, 03:10 PM
Did you see the game? Almagro played very well, and Safin didn't. When he plays well on clay Almagro is very good -- very high first serve percentage, very quick around the court, huge forehand and a superb backhand. Safin could have been more aggressive, but as I say he wasn't playing very well.

VamosRafa
05-04-2005, 03:17 PM
Did you see the game? Almagro played very well, and Safin didn't. When he plays well on clay Almagro is very good -- very high first serve percentage, very quick around the court, huge forehand and a superb backhand. Safin could have been more aggressive, but as I say he wasn't playing very well.

I disagree. I didn't think Marat played that badly. Perhaps not his best, but Almagro took it to him. He looked like the No. 4 player, not Safin. It's only one match, I know, but Almagro played very well, and it was that form that gave Safin trouble.

Now, it's likely a situation where a guy ranked No. 101 has nothing to lose, so he goes out there and is able to play without nerves, as the huge underdog, etc., but boy did he ever play well. You note all the great things about his game. Did you note any deficiency? Except that he let up a bit after he won the first set, and dropped his serve. But he recovered from that pretty quickly.