PDA

View Full Version : Is my Prince Woodie safe for a restring?

viet_boy30
03-13-2010, 05:06 PM
I just found an old Prince Woodie in my family's garage that i wanted to try out, but i heard that some old wood racquets can't handle it. If mine is generally crack, warp, and damage free can it handle it? Sorry, I'm a total noob when it comes to wood racquets at this. Thanks!!

tennis005
03-13-2010, 05:11 PM
It should be able to as long as you string at the correct tension.

viet_boy30
03-13-2010, 05:19 PM
Thanks! By any chance do you know what the tension range is?

tennis005
03-13-2010, 05:32 PM
Not sure. Sorry

joe sch
03-13-2010, 06:28 PM
I would recommend stringing at the lowest tension you are comfortable with. Higher tensions may cause the racket to warp. I would go for 50 lbs, you maybe able to go closer to 60, hopefully it has not current warpage.

Virginia
03-13-2010, 06:31 PM
My manual mentions "PR". P: 55-65 lbs and C: 65-70 lbs. I'm not sure of the significance of this, but someone here will be able to clarify, I'm sure. :)

joe sch
03-14-2010, 06:52 AM
My manual mentions "PR". P: 55-65 lbs and C: 65-70 lbs. I'm not sure of the significance of this, but someone here will be able to clarify, I'm sure. :)

Im not sure but remember those recommendations are for a new stock racket which was approx quarter of a century ago. I have also found those rackets tend to warp easily. I had a beautiful flat model and restrung with problend at approx 55 lbs and it warped pretty bad. Im sure tenniscoach would know since he strung soo many back in the day.

coachrick
03-14-2010, 10:34 AM
I'd go with a fairly firm string at a low tension, say 50#, especially if the frame has a string channel instead of individual grooves for each pair of strings. The channel was taken out to remove weight but it tended to compromise the strength of the hoop. Actually, I've seen some Woodies that warped without strings in them...just the nature of wood exposed to varying temps and humidity. Good luck!

Don't Let It Bounce
03-14-2010, 04:25 PM
At the time the Woodie came out, recommended tensions for all oversize racqets were way higher than they are today (presumably because most of the customers had grown up on standard-size wood and would have broken nearby windows if they went oversize and tried to use current recommended tensions).

Thus, you won't lose playability by going under the recommended tension–in fact, from what I remember of hitting with them, you might want the extra pop–and it would be a kindness to a frame that old. I'd go 50 with a non-poly.

Rabbit
03-15-2010, 04:33 AM
If I remember correctly, the Woodie had a reputation as not being particulary strong and subject to warping. I've never had a problem stringing a standard-sized wood racquet up to 60 pounds, they can take it. Wood racquets are a lot stronger than folks, especially today, think. But, the Woodie if my memory serves was about as big as you could make a wood frame. I'd recommend 50 to 55 pounds if it's in good shape.