PDA

View Full Version : Sponsor Patches on Player Sleeves

Tennis_Crazed
03-15-2010, 01:51 AM
Just curious what the ATP regulations are on sponsor patches on clothing/sleeves for professional players

Do companies pay a lot of money for this stuff? Always seemed pointless because the patches are so small and almost impossible to see on the sleeves.

bezs
03-15-2010, 07:03 AM
Not sure if they pay a lot for it but it is pretty visible when there's closeups of the players.

I know Nike's contract with Federer has a clause where he can't have any another sponsor patches on his clothing and he is probably compensated nicely for that.

schap02
03-15-2010, 07:11 AM
Never even thought about this, decent post for discussion purposes

schap02
03-15-2010, 07:12 AM
Just curious what the ATP regulations are on sponsor patches on clothing/sleeves for professional players

Do companies pay a lot of money for this stuff? Always seemed pointless because the patches are so small and almost impossible to see on the sleeves.

Now you've got me thinking...weird how in Golf sponsors pay for a spot on the bag, I would assume tennis rqt comps will not allow this for sponsor patches on tennis bags?

Lefty5
03-15-2010, 11:32 AM
i don't think the patches are too expensive from a sponsor standpoint, however the player cannot have an "exclusive" agreement (i.e. Fed with Nike, Roddick with Lacoste, etc...) It has to be way more expensive to lock up a player so he CAN'T advertise other stuff... I seem to think that most of the patches you see are not the top tier players who are trying to scrape any cash they can, wherever they can get it. I could be wrong...

marsh
03-15-2010, 11:36 AM
Roddick has, for the last several seasons, always had an SAP logo on his left sleeve.

rovex
03-15-2010, 11:46 AM
I notice them. Especially when the color of the patches contrasts the color of the shirt.

N23
03-15-2010, 11:49 AM
I remember Edberg and Navratilova having these sponsor patches. I can't remember which sponsors (guess that blames my memory more than the company name) but seeing as how the tennis players weren't making boat loads of dosh then I'm ok with them on the shirt. As long as it doesn't look like a NASCAR racing suit then it's fine with me.

Tennis_Crazed
03-15-2010, 11:55 AM
I remember Edberg and Navratilova having these sponsor patches. I can't remember which sponsors (guess that blames my memory more than the company name) but seeing as how the tennis players weren't making boat loads of dosh then I'm ok with them on the shirt. As long as it doesn't look like a NASCAR racing suit then it's fine with me.

Agreed - as long as they're not walking billboards. I think that there must be regulations because i was trying to see what was on murray and some other players' sleeves at IW and it really isn't that easy.

Maybe TW should get some patches on players!

Tennis_Crazed
03-15-2010, 11:56 AM
Roddick has, for the last several seasons, always had an SAP logo on his left sleeve.

yeah you're right...thats probably the only one i've remembered

Miami83095
03-15-2010, 01:10 PM
Yes it was said Murray couldnt switch to Nike clothing because they dont allow sponsor patches, so he went for the next best thing, Adidas!

SandV62
03-15-2010, 03:27 PM
Roddick and several french players have "Legarder" patch on their right sleeve a think.

Tennis_Crazed
03-15-2010, 04:42 PM
Yes it was said Murray couldnt switch to Nike clothing because they dont allow sponsor patches, so he went for the next best thing, Adidas!

Thats interesting. Never realized that nike players don't have patches on their shirts

MAXXply
03-15-2010, 05:13 PM
Notable sleeve patches from memory:

Mcenroe: Bic razors
Lendl: Avis
Becker: BASF
Edberg: SAS Airlines
Navratilova: Mary Cohr
Vilas: Perrier

ChevyTennis
03-15-2010, 07:35 PM
Agassi still has a Genworth Financial patch on his shirts.

bezs
03-15-2010, 11:18 PM
I remember seeing Roddick with Lexus on his sleeves. A couple of times Guinot on WTA players and i remember Dementieva having a Jet Star sponsor patch at the Aussie Open.

mpournaras
03-16-2010, 02:41 AM
Here are the rules:

1) 1 patch on each sleeve that totals NO MORE than 2 sq.inches

2) 1 on the body that can equal NO MORE than 3 or 4 sq.inches (i forget)

Bobble
03-16-2010, 12:38 PM
My favorite was when Gasquet and a handful of players had "Playstation" patches a few years back...pretty odd. Nalbandian and a bunch of others have "Guinot" patches, but im not sure what exactly the company is.

Fee
03-16-2010, 12:49 PM
Nike does not allow any of their contracted players to wear sleeve patches. Remember a few years ago when Justin G played Hewitt on Wimbledon's center court in the 3rd round? He got a ton of phone calls offering him good money to wear a sleeve patch for that one match and he had to turn down every single one of them.

Roddick has had a few different sleeve sponsors in the last few years. He had Lexus for a while, now it's SAP on one and Lagardere on the other.

tennisnj
03-16-2010, 03:48 PM
IIRC Guinot is an French skin care company, that specializes in skin care products for spas & salons.

brinkeguthrie
03-16-2010, 08:00 PM
I think Borg was the first with SAS. The US Open is where all the players rent themselves out for the tourney- SHARP etc

pmacino
03-16-2010, 08:14 PM
Regulations can't be too strict. Alisa Kleybanova literally had a piece of paper safety pinned to her top yesterday with a sponsor on it.

It looked like it was printed on an inkjet printer in B&W and the result of somebody offering her to sell herself as ad space while walking out on the court...tacky.

OliverSimon
03-16-2010, 10:36 PM
A lot of the players during Roland Garros wore Mary Cohr patches, a skin product company? And Gasquet always wears a Playstation patch.

Subprime
03-18-2010, 03:30 PM
I remember reading somewhere (possibly on this message board!) that some players are paid a certain amount to wear sponsor patches by the match, and that those players tend to be lower ranked but would be getting some tv exposure because they are playing more highly ranked players. I don't think the article named any particular sponsor, but I suspect that Geico may be one (also considering that the players with the Geico patch are not US players - I don't think Geico has a presence outside the US).

Marshredder
03-18-2010, 04:33 PM
Murray wears Highland Spring and Bank of Scotland Patches, which are both products aimed at the british market, go figure.

thompenator
03-18-2010, 04:55 PM
Regulations can't be too strict. Alisa Kleybanova literally had a piece of paper safety pinned to her top yesterday with a sponsor on it.

It looked like it was printed on an inkjet printer in B&W and the result of somebody offering her to sell herself as ad space while walking out on the court...tacky.

I think that was the 'Sony Ericsson WTA Tour' patch/sticker that all the WTA players have to wear unless they have a contract with a clothing supplier that forbids other logos (a 'clean' contract). It amazes me how many WTA players go onto court without it, need to be reminded by an official and are given stickers to wear which peel off when they sweat. I've seen it several times where players have been distracted by struggling to keep these patches on (to the extent that the commentators mention it).

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
03-18-2010, 07:45 PM
I remember hearing on ESPN that the CEO of sony chooses 3 top japanese players to go to the bolleterri school, and the sony guy pays for them. And they have to wear a sony patch on their arm.
ie: Kei Nishikori

pmacino
03-18-2010, 07:49 PM
I think that was the 'Sony Ericsson WTA Tour' patch/sticker that all the WTA players have to wear unless they have a contract with a clothing supplier that forbids other logos (a 'clean' contract). It amazes me how many WTA players go onto court without it, need to be reminded by an official and are given stickers to wear which peel off when they sweat. I've seen it several times where players have been distracted by struggling to keep these patches on (to the extent that the commentators mention it).

I bet you're right. I wasn't paying that close of attention and an image search of her in play at Indian Wells turned up nothing in the first couple of hits...so I didn't exhaust resources digging deeper. :)

N23
03-19-2010, 11:35 PM

Yes, good one. I was watching her match agasint Jankovic and that patch looked awfully misplaced. :confused: