PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Profile 3.0 cracked in throat -- did I do it?

sstchur
03-17-2010, 07:48 PM
I was given a Wilson Profile 3.0 to string for someone. I took just a quick look at it when it was given to me, and I didn't notice any cracks or compromises, but I didn't look as carefully as I probably should have.

I have a Silent Partner Swing, and after I mounted the racquet, first at the head and then at the throat, I noticed a crack in the throat on the outside of the frame. I'm worried that this is my fault, and I'm wondering what the chances are that I did this by tightening the screw at the throat too tight?

A little background: I've strung lots and lots of racquets on the SP Swing, and I always tighten the screws the same -- what I would call considerably snug, but not anywhere near as tight as I could (snug enough that they don't turn any more when I apply gentle/medium force and so that the racquet does not move after having been mounted).

It's certainly possible this the frame was weak at that point, and my mounting just put it over the top, and it's even possible that the crack was there and I didn't notice. I did hear a "little something" when I was tightening the screw (which I now realize was probably that crack), but it was pretty early on when I started tightening (not tight enough at that point to have had the racquet mounted securely, I don't think.)

I'm not really familiar with this frame. It's a very widebody frame, and appears to be aluminum or some sort of metal(ish) material.

What are the odds that someone would crack the frame just from mounting it as I've described?

For what it's worth, I did notice that it was strung 1 piece when it was given me to, did not appear to be an ATW pattern, so maybe the frame was weaker from have been strung throat up for most of its life? Dunno, maybe that's a stretch.

Anyway, just in case anyone is wondering, I'm telling the guy that it's his call. If he is 100% certain that the frame was in good shape when given to me, I will take his word and I will pay in full for the racquet -- no questions asked.

But just for my own piece of mind, I'm wondering what the odds are that this is my fault?

Standupnfall
03-17-2010, 07:58 PM
If it was my racquet I would say it was 100% your fault :cry:

It sounds like you did the actual breaking of the frame, but it could have been weak already.

dancraig
03-17-2010, 08:08 PM
The racquet is decades old. It simply couldn't take the stress of another stringing. That mounting being tightened down is just another type of stress the graphite couldn't withstand.
You would know if you did anything wrong that could cause a frame to crack. If not, the racquet just couldn't take it anymore.

I think your plan is a good one, though. From the customer's point of view, the racquet was fine when he gave it to you and now it's broken. If he is reasonable, he will understand about what happened.

tennis005
03-17-2010, 08:12 PM
I'm sure he would accept an apology and an offer to pay. If not, you might be able to find one floating around on the boards. What headsize was the one that cracked? 110?

sstchur
03-17-2010, 08:21 PM
I'm sure he would accept an apology and an offer to pay. If not, you might be able to find one floating around on the boards. What headsize was the one that cracked? 110?

Yeah, 110. Looks like you can find them on the bay for about $70.

I called and spoke with him. He said it bought it on **** originally. He was very understanding and really not angry at all. He actually requested that I string it anyway (and yes, I did warn him that it may not even withstand the stringing). But I told him I stand by my "happy customer" policy, and I am still willing to pay if he is unhappy.

I honestly think the thing must have been very weak. I really did not tighten it all that hard.

Such is life -- thankfully he's a reasonable and understanding guy.

tennis005
03-17-2010, 08:36 PM
Eventually, rackets break especially older ones.