PDA

View Full Version : Help- Tension recommended for stiff frame RA 71

In D Zone
03-18-2010, 08:19 AM
I purchased a used AG500 Standard (non Tour)for my wife - it came prestrung Prince Lightinin 57 lbs (full set). It played good but the string kept moving. So i restrung to a hybrid - Babolat Hurricane Pro 17g Main 53lbs and Spiral Flex 16g Cross 55lbs. My wife complained the racquet felt stiff.

If I go with a full set of multi - I know I will continue to have issues with the string moving. I am thinking of restringing it with hybrid - this time dropping the poly down to 50 lbs on the main and cross at 53lbs. I noticed the AG500 frame is rated 71 RA.

Any suggestion before I cut the new set of strings

In D Zone
03-18-2010, 08:20 AM
Another follow up question:

Is Babolat Hurricane Pro poly pretty stiff? I noticed the same boardy feel after I strung my AG100 with a full set at 53lbs.

jazzyfunkybluesy
03-18-2010, 08:22 AM
No. Cut em out and put in some soft multis. She will have access to great power and will give the illusion of a softer frame.

jazzyfunkybluesy
03-18-2010, 08:23 AM
Another follow up question:

Is Babolat Hurricane Pro poly pretty stiff? I noticed the same boardy feel after I strung my AG100 with a full set at 53lbs.

Yes. Stay away from poly strings with that stiff racquet unless you want your wife to get TE.

JediMindTrick
03-18-2010, 08:39 AM
All polys are stiff, if you want a softer stringbed you have to go with a multi or a synth gut. As you have noticed, multis and synth guts are moving, but there a few that don't move.

My choices are Prince Recoil and Babolat Addiction, both have a teflon coating so they don't move and will give you extra spin. Recoil is stiffer (but still softer than any poly), it has better tension retention, better spin and unmatched resistance to movement. Addiction is softer, loses some tension, less spin than Recoil (but still better than any multi I tried) and it will start to move a little bit after 4-5 hours, but not as bad as the other multis.

Valjean
03-18-2010, 09:35 AM
Babolat's Addiction is a nice string, but I think Tecnifibre's Multifeel could be a better fit now that she has sampled Lightning XX.

SteveI
03-18-2010, 09:37 AM
I purchased a used AG500 Standard (non Tour)for my wife - it came prestrung Prince Lightinin 57 lbs (full set). It played good but the string kept moving. So i restrung to a hybrid - Babolat Hurricane Pro 17g Main 53lbs and Spiral Flex 16g Cross 55lbs. My wife complained the racquet felt stiff.

If I go with a full set of multi - I know I will continue to have issues with the string moving. I am thinking of restringing it with hybrid - this time dropping the poly down to 50 lbs on the main and cross at 53lbs. I noticed the AG500 frame is rated 71 RA.

Any suggestion before I cut the new set of strings

I have mine strung (Tour) with Dunlop M-Fil Tour 16 @ 63.. it plays like a dream. Can't feel the 71 RA. Very solid. I have a leather grip installed and overgrip/dampener. Frame is 12 oz and 6 points HL. Swings very easy. Spin monster and great pace and spin on the serves. I am just using the weight/stiffness of the frame to create the pace. Long swing.. moderate speed. Very solid frame. With the multi.. of course there is string movement.

Regards..

In D Zone
03-19-2010, 09:58 AM
Thank you everyone for chiming in. I will definitely be looking to change the strings.