PDA

View Full Version : Mattres Mac offers to pay Van Gundy's fine

Kevin Patrick
05-05-2005, 10:09 AM
Just read this. Jeff Van Gundy, the coach of the Houston Rockets, was recently fined $100,000(a record fine for an NBA coach) for implying that officials were targeting Yao Ming in the playoffs. Mattress Mac has offered to pay the fine.

"Local businessman and sports enthusiast Jim McIngvale, who owns Gallery Furniture in Houston, said he'd pay the whole $100,000. Yao even offered to split it."

full article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpZmFlcXBpBF9TAzk1ODYxOTQ4BHNlYwN0 aA--?slug=ap-mavericks-rockets&prov=ap&type=lgns

tykrum
05-05-2005, 10:52 AM
That's awesome, but why does Mutumbo have to "call a friend"? That guy is the most overpaid player in the league right now.

Kevin Patrick
05-05-2005, 10:57 AM
The "call a friend" remark meant Mutumbo would call Stern to see if he can reduce the fine.

"Mutombo said he'd try to smooth things out with his longtime friend -- Stern."

Camilio Pascual
05-05-2005, 12:37 PM
"Local businessman and sports enthusiast Jim McIngvale, who owns Gallery Furniture in Houston, said he'd pay the whole $100,000. Yao even offered to split it."

That would be a terrible precedent to set.
I hope the NBA has nothing to do with that.

Kevin Patrick
05-05-2005, 12:45 PM
Off course it won't happen camilio. but if it did, not sure what the NBA could do, its between Van Gundy & MacIngvale.

Van Gundy, now in the second year of an $18 million, four-year contract, has declined all the offers.

``I got myself into this,'' Van Gundy said, ``and I'll get out of it on my own.''

Colpo
05-05-2005, 01:59 PM
Too bad Der Kaiser Stern isn't even interested in allowing for the possibility that there IS ref impropriety in the NBA, like what Van Gundy claimed. Is it SO CRAZY to suggest that some players don't get calls, and vice versa?

DashaandSafin
05-05-2005, 04:15 PM
Ridiclous fine. David Sterns and idiot.

West Coast Ace
05-05-2005, 05:00 PM
Ridiclous fine. David Sterns and idiot.Does the phrase 'integrity of the game' mean anything to you? While I agree with Van Gundy that officiating in the NBA leaves a lot to be desired, he crossed WAY over the line in even hinting that the outcome of the games was somehow being affected by meetings in Manhattan skyscrapers. Sporting events are supposed to be the real 'reality TV' - not manufactured like 'Real World' and 'Survivor'.

As far as Mattress Mac, what is this dude's problem? Is he Mark Cuban's real father? Or just another clown with money who suffers delusions of ******ur? I wish the ATP would stop allowing him to participate in any events. When he was shamelessly rooting for an All American final in the Masters Cup a few years ago, I was embarrassed to be an American - he helped reinforce the Ugly American stereotype.

DashaandSafin
05-05-2005, 05:18 PM
While i agree with West Coast Ace on the Matress Mac image...i can see people not liking him by just looking at him...i disagree with his view toward Van Gundy. Cmon now...100,000 is a bit hefty for such a "minor" offense is it not? Besides he hinted that the officiating was bad which i wholeheartidly agree. It sucks period. In game 5 Houston was cheated out of the game because some ******** Mavs player came from out of bounds while still out of bounds to knock the ball out of a houston guys hand(names i forgot). That cost them the game and i agree with Van Gundy on that stupid call.

West Coast Ace
05-05-2005, 05:33 PM
Dasha, if Houston loses this series they have no one to blame but themselves. If they had taken care of business they wouldn't have been in a position where a few calls would affect the outcome.

I can't believe you play tennis if you let less than perfect officiating bother you - I'll bet half the people you play with foot fault and hook you on calls on a regular basis.

slice bh compliment
05-05-2005, 07:17 PM
The fact that people outside of Houston and outside of NBA circles are discussing this is a testament to Mattress Mac's brilliance. I hope he gets into politics sometime soon! He is giving and sincere. He helps the little people (and his local NBA team). Please.

West Coast Ace is to be commended for caring about the 'integrity of the game'. Well said and well spoken. Now where is it?

Ronaldo
05-05-2005, 07:24 PM
Yao needs to target the rim tonight or the season's over

Deuce
05-05-2005, 10:20 PM
Does a day go by without McIngvale shamelessly finding some angle to promote himself and his 'business'?

Someone ought to tell him that his 15 minutes were up long ago...

Steve Huff
05-05-2005, 10:32 PM
I became convinced that the NBA officiating was rigged a couple of years ago when Lakers were given the 6th game of the playoffs against Sacramento. That was the most one-sided officiating I'd seen, except in a jr. high school game.

Prince_of_Tennis
05-05-2005, 11:06 PM
I became convinced that the NBA officiating was rigged a couple of years ago when Lakers were given the 6th game of the playoffs against Sacramento. That was the most one-sided officiating I'd seen, except in a jr. high school game.

Egh and High School my teams in Jr High and High School were always gettin the bad end of calls....

tennisadict
05-05-2005, 11:14 PM
Ridiclous fine. David Sterns and idiot.
he is the bigest As$ole, and is it any other way to replace him or we just wait until he die

0.2RatedPlayer
05-05-2005, 11:28 PM
who cares, honestly, 100k is chump change to a guy that makes over 6 mil a year.

norcal
05-06-2005, 08:07 AM
he is the bigest As$ole, and is it any other way to replace him or we just wait until he dieAre you kidding? This guy made the NBA the popular sport it is. Van Gundy wouldn't have a 18 mil contract if it weren't for Stern. I liked his comment regarding the Artest suspension, 'it was a unanimous decision, 1-0'.

DashaandSafin
05-06-2005, 02:34 PM
I acutally thought the Pacers Pistons incident was extremly funny. Me and my firends were laughin for a long time. Then we laughed some more on how some pristine parents were complaning that thier childs role models have soiled thier lives. Got a good kick out of that one. Fights are great for the sport.

Andy Hewitt
05-07-2005, 12:57 AM
Pro Tennis fines are the BEST!