looks like it was a good match though

edberg505
05-05-2005, 10:30 AM
Verdasco has Roddick's number!!!

VamosRafa
05-05-2005, 10:41 AM
Verdasco has Roddick's number!!!

He's lucky Andy is a good sportsman:

Andy Roddick's generosity could have cost him his third round match and a shot at the Rome Tennis Masters on Thursday.

Serving at 5-4 and one set up, the number one seed seemed to have won. His opponent, Spain's Fernando Verdasco, thought the match was over and approached the net to shake Roddick's hand.

But Roddick did not want to win as the result of what he thought was a bad line call on Verdasco's serve, so he effectively gave away the point and the match continued.

Verdasco subsequently saved more match points, broke Roddick's serve for the first time in the tournament and went on to win the match 67 76 64.

"I have to thank him, he is a great sportsman," Verdasco said after the match. "He probably thought it wouldn't change the match. But that gave me a chance to win. That's tennis"

Slow motion replays of the match point show that Roddick's decision was probably the right one.

Verdasco goes on to play Argentine number nine seed Guillermo Coria in the quarter final.

Ariel
05-05-2005, 11:34 AM
He's lucky Andy is a good sportsman

Actually A-Rod did say that the chair umpire may have called it in if he didn't concede it first; that doesn't say the he is not a good sportman, but doesn't prove it either.

Pirc Defense
05-05-2005, 12:22 PM
That was a pretty crazy match. Any good sport would have/should have done what Roddick did. He had plenty of chances to win otherwise, but just couldn't close the deal. I was pulling for Roddick to win. Drats!

Verdasco's attitude just completely changed from that point on. Amazing turnaround.

Feña14
05-05-2005, 01:12 PM
He's lucky Andy is a good sportsman:

Andy Roddick's generosity could have cost him his third round match and a shot at the Rome Tennis Masters on Thursday.

Serving at 5-4 and one set up, the number one seed seemed to have won. His opponent, Spain's Fernando Verdasco, thought the match was over and approached the net to shake Roddick's hand.

But Roddick did not want to win as the result of what he thought was a bad line call on Verdasco's serve, so he effectively gave away the point and the match continued.

Verdasco subsequently saved more match points, broke Roddick's serve for the first time in the tournament and went on to win the match 67 76 64.

"I have to thank him, he is a great sportsman," Verdasco said after the match. "He probably thought it wouldn't change the match. But that gave me a chance to win. That's tennis"

Slow motion replays of the match point show that Roddick's decision was probably the right one.

Verdasco goes on to play Argentine number nine seed Guillermo Coria in the quarter final.

lmao, the umpire was on his way down to check the mark and say it was in anyway :)

Roddick never stops and rushes everything so he either wanted to just get on with it as he knew the umpire would have called it in.

Or, he thought that he had as good as won the match with 2 more match points to come and another chance to serve for it and wanted to make him self look good.

Although I doubt it, as much as I don't like Roddick he has impressed me with his willingness to play and improve on clay.

joe sch
05-05-2005, 01:19 PM
This incident show that Roddick has great character and is a super sport ! Mac would have argued and *****ed any attempted correction and Jimbo would have quickly rubbed out the spot :(

Marius_Hancu
05-05-2005, 02:35 PM
This incident show that Roddick has great character and is a super sport !

No doubt in this particular case.

Count Grishnackh
05-05-2005, 03:39 PM
After having played a couple of tough matches against Verdasco in Indian Wells and Miami he knew that points were not easy to come by and he had a chance to take the match right there but he resisted the temptation and gave him the point. I know one thing, I would've taken the point and shook hands.

DashaandSafin
05-05-2005, 04:12 PM
Disgusting Roddick should have had that match...good show by verdasco i guess and sportsmanship from Roddick. As much as id hate to say this many people would rub out the mark.

antontd
05-05-2005, 04:34 PM
Disgusting Roddick should have had that match...good show by verdasco i guess and sportsmanship from Roddick. As much as id hate to say this many people would rub out the mark.

If you rub out the mark you give the point to your opponent.
I like Roddick, but he simply ran out of gas. Doug Spreen doesn’t deserve his paycheck.

DashaandSafin
05-05-2005, 05:19 PM
Really? hmm i didnt know that then why could Conners rub the mark out then?

antontd
05-05-2005, 05:41 PM
I believe it wasn't on clay...

West Coast Ace
05-05-2005, 05:49 PM
Really? hmm i didnt know that then why could Conners rub the mark out then?Connors rubbed out a mark in a famous (or is it infamous) match against Corrado Barrazutti (sp?) at the US Open when it was played on the bogus green clay in the 70's. The shot in question was one of his - he RAN all the way over and beat the chair to the mark. Truly despicable.

Chadwixx
05-05-2005, 05:59 PM
``I didn't think it was anything extraordinary,'' Roddick said. ``The umpire would have done the same thing if he came down and looked. I just saved him the trip. He's working hard up there.''

``Maybe another player wouldn't have done like Andy,'' Verdasco said, adding that he would have argued the call if Roddick hadn't given him the point. ``The ball was good for sure.''

Roddick said. ``On a hard court, I wouldn't have given him the point because I thought it missed.

West Coast Ace
05-05-2005, 06:02 PM
``I didn't think it was anything extraordinary,'' Roddick said. ``The umpire would have done the same thing if he came down and looked. I just saved him the trip. He's working hard up there.''

``Maybe another player wouldn't have done like Andy,'' Verdasco said, adding that he would have argued the call if Roddick hadn't given him the point. ``The ball was good for sure.''

Roddick said. ``On a hard court, I wouldn't have given him the point because I thought it missed.Check and mate. I don't see Andy needing to reserve a place on the mantle for the ATP Sportsmanship trophy any time soon. :-)

antontd
05-05-2005, 06:09 PM
Connors rubbed out a mark in a famous (or is it infamous) match against Corrado Barrazutti (sp?) at the US Open when it was played on the bogus green clay in the 70's. The shot in question was one of his - he RAN all the way over and beat the chair to the mark. Truly despicable.

The players may not cross the net to inspect the mark.
Connors did break 2 of the ATP rules(2004). Did he loose the point?

Deuce
05-05-2005, 11:57 PM
Roddick said. ``On a hard court, I wouldn't have given him the point because I thought it missed.

Long before I saw that quote, I was thinking how some people - because they WANT Roddick to be a great guy - may mistake arrogance for sportsmanship. He's already admitted that he only did what he did because it could be proven - had it not been able to be proven that the serve was good, Roddick would have accepted the match win.

In addition - do you think he would have done what he did if he didn't have 2 more match points waiting for him? We'll never know, of course... but if it would have been VERDASCO's match point instead of Roddick's, I believe it's safe to say that Roddick would have gladly accepted the double fault. That Roddick had 2 more match points in his hand was no doubt an important factor in Roddick's action - as was the fact that the match was on clay.

I'm not saying that Roddick is a blatant and arrogant opportunist - for that would be just as naive and irresponsible as would be calling him a good sportsman.

Free_Martha
05-06-2005, 12:50 PM
Check and mate. I don't see Andy needing to reserve a place on the mantle for the ATP Sportsmanship trophy any time soon. :-)

Probably wouldn't fit next to all those humanitarian awards anyway.

nn
05-06-2005, 01:07 PM
anyways he said in press conf that it was nothing great he did so it says all

Marius_Hancu
05-08-2005, 12:52 AM
this is ARod's interview:
http://www.asapsports.com/tennis/2005italia/050505AR.html

Andy Hewitt
05-08-2005, 01:27 AM
this is ARod's interview:
http://www.asapsports.com/tennis/2005italia/050505AR.html
God, that 2001 US Open fiasco is SOOOOO old why do they even bring it up anymore...