PDA

View Full Version : Recommended strings for a basic 3.0 player?

drewski
03-18-2010, 04:27 PM
I am an beginner/intermediate, 3.0 rated player and looking for a no nonsense string that won't hurt my arm and gives plenty of pop. I was thinking of stringing my Volkl V1 classic with Prince Original Synthetic Gut 17 at about a 55 or 54 tension level (I'm not quite a huge power hitter yet). With all the choices out there, it's rather confusing. But the Prince Original Synthetic Gut 17 seems to get fairly decent overall reviews. Any recommendations on other potential options to consider? Thanks.

Nanshiki
03-18-2010, 04:40 PM
Prince Synthetic Gut with Duraflex, or Original. You cannot go wrong with Prince synthetic gut.

Don't pay more than $20 for it, though!

Valjean
03-18-2010, 04:56 PM
You don't get a lot of pop from a standard synthetic gut, though. Wilson's Extreme Synthetic Gut has more than some.

I'd actually have you try Alpha Gut 2000, their long-standing, inexpensive multifilament--though you haven't said if you'd order in any new string or just choose from the selection available through your local retailer.

drewski
03-18-2010, 05:29 PM
how about Gosen Og-sheep micro?

tennis005
03-18-2010, 06:22 PM
Og Micro is a great synthetic.

flashfire276
03-18-2010, 08:15 PM
OG Sheep Micro is a great bargain string.

ManuGinobili
03-18-2010, 09:13 PM
I think good syn guts like PSG and Gosen will give you good options. But keep in mind that they break earlier than other strings, and the more you have to bring them to the shop the more you have to pay for stringing labor. So maybe hybrid it up with a cheap poly? A Cyberflash main and either of these cross combination has worked for many people on this board.

jmjmkim
03-18-2010, 09:20 PM
You can use any string that you like. Try different ones out.

decades
03-18-2010, 10:18 PM
maybe tf multifeel or yonex super tour 850

Al1978
03-18-2010, 10:29 PM
In my limited experience with the Gosen and Yonex 850, the former is crisper and not as comfortable, but more durable. I wouldn't consider myself a "string-breaker," but the Yonex in my Dunlop 300 Tour lasted for about 6 hours before breaking, and it started fraying within a couple hours. I got 12 hours out of the Gosen, and it seemed to hold its tension well before breaking.

Anyway, I'm a poly convert now. All my sticks have Topspin CF or CB and I've never played better (3.5-4.0).

drewski
03-19-2010, 01:31 AM
I'm particularly interested in strings that are easier on the elbow. Thanks everyone.

Frank BD
03-19-2010, 02:49 AM
I think good syn guts like PSG and Gosen will give you good options. But keep in mind that they break earlier than other strings, and the more you have to bring them to the shop the more you have to pay for stringing labor. So maybe hybrid it up with a cheap poly? A Cyberflash main and either of these cross combination has worked for many people on this board.

a 3.0 beginning/intermediate player isn't likely to be a string breaker so i think OP should stay away from polys. i think there are a lot of inappropriate recommendations for polys on these boards. to me polys are for two types of players: the First, people who break other strings in considerably less time than it takes the poly to go dead. i think you're doing well with a soft copoly to get 14 hours of playing time. so whatever your personal difference is between say 14 hours and when you break other strings and the value you place on that difference vs. playability (i know, i know, playability isn't necessarily in favor of the other strings against polys) and risk to the arm. the Second, players good enough with big fast swings who will really accrue the benefits of the "deadness" (which is not to be confused with when a poly goes dead) of polys.

my guess from the OP's description of his game is that it's likely that the poly goes dead and poses arm risks before the synthetic gut breaks, which, from my calculus, makes the poly less "durable" for a player like OP. so i doubt OP gets the benefits of poly, but he's likely to get the risks because he'll keep it in his racquet after it's gone dead and at his level there's a good chance he has technique problems that would compound the arm risk of polys.

personally, i think 17g isn't really necessary, but you're not disappointed with the durability and you find the feel and arm friendliness to be better, then, sure, use the 17g. (for me what gauge i like is racquet dependent.) to me, a basic string for a basic player: 16g synthetic gut.

i haven't played all the synthetic guts suggested here but from what i've read they seem a reasonable list, except for the wilson; i haven't liked their synthetic gut strings, or come to think of it any of their strings that i've tried. forten sweet is another synthetic gut you could put on your list; i've found it to be arm friendly with decent enough playability.

Valjean
03-19-2010, 04:49 AM
POSG is superior to it, though. The Alpha Gut 2000 best answers your call for the inexpensive, arm-friendly string you want, you'd just have to order it in.

Here it is: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Alpha_Gut_2000_16_String/descpageACALPHA-AG200016.html

Ronaldo
03-19-2010, 05:23 AM
Try Babolat Synthetic Gut or Prince Synthetic Gut Multifilament but re-string once a month and try new strings.

Applesauceman
03-19-2010, 05:28 AM
Try Babolat Synthetic Gut or Prince Synthetic Gut Multifilament but re-string once a month and try new strings.

I second Prince Synthetic Gut Multifilament, especially for arm-friendliness and value-priced.

SirGounder
03-19-2010, 10:05 AM
I personally like OG Micro and POSG. I used to always use 16g but just strung up a stick with 17g. Seems to be holding up well but then again I'm not much a string break at all.

Preston
03-19-2010, 10:54 AM
POSG with Duraflex is great. I support that one and still use it in crosses.

Another syn gut I enjoy that is cheaper and plays with more control is Pro Supex Syn Gut with Spiral Flex. Very solid syn gut with good control. To me this plays somewhere between the average syn gut and poly in regards to control. It seems to be more durable too.

jazzyfunkybluesy
03-19-2010, 11:03 AM

Id get this one for you man. Its 35 bucks for a reel, string it mid recommended tension.

SirGounder
03-19-2010, 11:11 AM
POSG with Duraflex is great. I support that one and still use it in crosses.

Another syn gut I enjoy that is cheaper and plays with more control is Pro Supex Syn Gut with Spiral Flex. Very solid syn gut with good control. To me this plays somewhere between the average syn gut and poly in regards to control. It seems to be more durable too.

Ooooh forgot about the spiral flex. I like this string too but I've only used it once.

tennis4josh
03-19-2010, 11:41 AM
Suggesting poly to anyone simply for durability is a bad advice. There are just too many side effects. Just couple of days back my friend strung his racket with a poly on some one's advice. Just 1 hour of play and he had arm pain for first time in 2 years.

A beginner should always start with a cheap synthetic gut at mid tension. Play around little bit with tension and try different synthetics until you find the right setup. If you don't like synthetic, or have a sensitive elbow, then go for cheap multifilaments which cost <$10. I have tried all those expensive ones like NXT, K-Gut, X1 biphase etc, and finally settled on Yonex. IMHO it performs equally if not better than NXT in all departments and costs half of NXT.

If durability with multi becomes an issue, try string savers or hybrid with synthetic. If you can afford to spend more, try cheap natural guts like global.

But stay away from poly until you understand all risks, and you are absolutely convinced that poly is the right choice for you.

Good Luck!

Preston
03-19-2010, 12:26 PM
Suggesting poly to anyone simply for durability is a bad advice. There are just too many side effects. Just couple of days back my friend strung his racket with a poly on some one's advice. Just 1 hour of play and he had arm pain for first time in 2 years.

A beginner should always start with a cheap synthetic gut at mid tension. Play around little bit with tension and try different synthetics until you find the right setup. If you don't like synthetic, or have a sensitive elbow, then go for cheap multifilaments which cost <$10. I have tried all those expensive ones like NXT, K-Gut, X1 biphase etc, and finally settled on Yonex. IMHO it performs equally if not better than NXT in all departments and costs half of NXT.

If durability with multi becomes an issue, try string savers or hybrid with synthetic. If you can afford to spend more, try cheap natural guts like global.

But stay away from poly until you understand all risks, and you are absolutely convinced that poly is the right choice for you.

Good Luck!

Who suggested a poly? Did I miss something?

bruce nissenbaum
03-19-2010, 04:54 PM
FWIW, here are a couple of thoughts re: Volkl V1 Classic that we've had good feedback on from 3.0 level players as to playability, comfort and durability.
The finished string beds have been noted to be resilient without any trampoline affect and have provided controllable 'pop' for 3.0's using the V1 Classic. Admittedly, the number in the sample is small, but the following possibilities still may be worth considering.

1- Gamma Live Wire XP 17, full bed, mid-range tension both mains and crosses
2- Technifibre X1 Biphase 17, full bed, mid-range mains, +2# crosses
3- Babolat Xcel Premium 17, full bed, +2# both mains and crosses
4- X1 17 mains at mid-range, Head FXP 17 crosses at mid-range or -2#
5- Xcel 17 mains at +2#, Head FXP 17 crosses at mid-range.