PDA

View Full Version : Great Source for PRO matches on DVDs !!!

Aykhan Mammadov
05-05-2005, 10:56 AM
Hey, boys, today I have received finally by post small box with 25 disks with recorded old tennis matches I never watched before. Different players, among them old such as Nastase and etc...

They were sent to me to Baku, Azerbaijan from USA. The quality is excellent, prices are excellent, quality is good. No kidding, no delay. I recommend to everybody.

Somebody here at forum advised me that guy 2 months ago, now I'm doing the same. His name is Adrian.

http://www.*********s.net (http://www.*********s.net)

I understand that this thread may be must be in another section but here at PRo discussions we have the majority of visitors and I really appreciate the accuracy of Adrian's job.

Kevin Patrick
05-05-2005, 10:59 AM
Yeah, I get matches from there all the time. Which ones did you get?

Steve F.
05-05-2005, 12:07 PM
How's the quality of the recordings from this place? I recently ordered from another guy (about same price), and I've encountered burn errors. On more than one dvd. When he sent replacements, one had the same error, while another was clean.

Aykhan Mammadov
05-05-2005, 12:10 PM
O-oh, different, will take long time to list all. Smith-Nastase, Federer-Sampras, Sampras-Gilbert, Vilas-Connors and etc... I missed also some not old matches such as Safin-Sampras 2000 and etc...

splink779
05-05-2005, 12:14 PM
That is a great site to get classic and older matches. Hey Steve F., you should check out my list.

Aykhan Mammadov
05-05-2005, 12:21 PM
To post No 3.

Really I have not watched all of them by today yet.

Old matches quality can't be very good because even on original VHS they are not excellent because of the method of broadcasting at those days. Anyhow 1972 match I watched is of better quality than on orginal Wimbledon VHS cassettes wimby matches. Newer matches are of excellent quality.

Kevin Patrick
05-05-2005, 12:28 PM
Steve F,
I haven't had any problems with most of the matches I've gotten from him. The few I had "burning" problems with, he replaced & they were fine. He's very customer friendly, you should give it a try, I'm sure he'd replace or refund any discs you had problems with. He also sells on ****, if you don't want to purchase from his site.
Who did you order from?

Aykhan, good choices. That Vilas-Connors match was very good, great involved American crowd that seemed to be behind Vilas. After Vilas wins, fans storm the court & put him on their back. Connors leaves the court without shaking Vilas' hand.

splink779
05-05-2005, 12:29 PM
Steve F,
I haven't had any problems with most of the matches I've gotten from him. The few I had "burning" problems with, he replaced & they were fine. He's very customer friendly, you should give it a try, I'm sure he'd replace or refund any discs you had problems with. He also sells on ****, if you don't want to purchase from his site.
Who did you order from?

Aykhan, good choices. That Vilas-Connors match was very good, great involved American crowd that seemed to be behind Vilas. After Vilas wins, fans storm the court & put him on their back. Connors leaves the court without shaking Vilas' hand.

I think Steve F. was talking about someone else.

Kevin Patrick
05-05-2005, 12:41 PM
As far as picture quality of Adrian's matches go, generally pretty good. Many of the older matches are vhs copies transferred to dvd & some look better than others. It depends on who he got them from, I guess & if they were from original recordings. If you have questions about quality of certain matches, let me know, I may have got them from him(I'm generally only interested in older matches)

Steve F.
05-05-2005, 01:47 PM
In all fairness to the guy I ordered from, he's promised to replace the error riddled disc (of course that was 10 days ago). Seems friendly, and known, but I'm getting fed up. ID: he shares his initials with the first president of the US, transposed.

Since everyone charges about the same*, no doubt I'll check out these other options you guys are posting.

kickingbird
05-06-2005, 04:10 AM
Can anyone recommend any matches for me? I am very interested in Sampras-Federer Wimbledon, Roodick-Hewitt US Open, and Norman-Kuerten French Open, but are there any other 'must watch' matches???

splink779
05-06-2005, 05:26 AM
I have Norman vs Kuerten, I also reccomend Gaudio vs Coria, French Open 2004. The drama just keeps coming in this 5 setter.

pound cat
05-06-2005, 05:47 AM
How do you pay for these DVD's? Pay Pal? MO? or....

splink779
05-06-2005, 06:30 AM
I take both paypal and money orders

Tenny
05-06-2005, 01:12 PM
In all fairness to the guy I ordered from, he's promised to replace the error riddled disc (of course that was 10 days ago). Seems friendly, and known, but I'm getting fed up. ID: he shares his initials with the first president of the US, transposed.

Since everyone charges about the same*, no doubt I'll check out these other options you guys are posting.

Adrian ships from Alabama, I believe. Most of the DVDs I've got from him are of very good quality and as others say, he is very consumer-friendly. No problem with my cheap DVD player. The price is good too. I've bought a couple from a guy named W~. But although he seemed nice (replacing malfunctioning DVDs etc.) and has much bigger collection, I don't buy from him anymore. Unfortunately, all the DVDs didn't work on my DVD player (I can play them on my computer at work...) and slightly more expensive than Adrian's.

My favorites are:
Sampras vs Federer Wimby 2001
Sampras vs Becker 96 maters (Best video quality)
Guga df. Agassi 2000 masters
Chang df Lendl 89 FO
Becker Edberg 90 Wimby (Slightly poorer video quality)
to name a few...

Jet Rink
05-06-2005, 01:30 PM
Yes. Adrian is a great guy and I've bought many dvds from him over the years. Highly recommended and a breeze - you can send cash (yikes!), check or paypal him.

He's also always looking for new, better or OLD matches and is open to swaps.

Jet

Aykhan Mammadov
05-06-2005, 02:38 PM
Pound cat, in my case I had no choice ( Azerbaijan didn't join pay-pal system yet) and I remitted money to his account in advance.

Kevin, I have watched that match. I saw somebody catched and pulled his hairs immediately after the match, I thought that was somebody from his fans or from his team. Isn't ? I don't understand why Connors didn't shake his hands, it was clearly out and it was clay and they could check.

You know what was interesting for me in that match ? Connors in 1977 played with Vilas almost as PROs today, hard strokes and services. While in 1980 Borg played against Mac as amateurs, and in 1972 Smith played against Nastase as we almost. I thought that in 70-s all matches and players were very slow, but I really appreciated Connors class at that match, I liked him more than Vilas. And Connors surprisingly played very hard as modern players today. He definetly can win me. ( joke).

Kevin Patrick
05-06-2005, 03:14 PM
Aykhan,
I think the quality of the sources of the matches might influence your opinions. The US Open Vilas-Connors match was from American TV(CBS), so the picture(camera angles) & sound were superior. That's why you think they are hitting harder than Smith/Nastase & Borg/McEnroe. Both those matches are from the BBC, so the game looks & sounds slower. The BBC had poor camera angles(so far from the court) & sound for those old matches, I assure you Borg, Mac, Smith & Nastase are hitting harder than it looks.
Try getting Borg/McEnroe US Open matches, the pace of play looks a lot faster.

I have the '72 Nastase-Ashe US Open final on tape. It has great audio/video. The speed of the game seems very fast, I was impressed. Both players had huge serves, Nastase was ripping topspin groundstrokes(with wood) & possesed amazing court coverage. He was a great athlete(with an impressive physique, very muscular arms & legs)

Oh, and the reason Connors didn't shake Vilas' hands wasn't because of the call on match point, but because the fans stormed the court & Connors didn't want to wade through them to get to Vilas. He didn't even stick around for he trophy presentation. Vilas joked in an interview recently that he's still waiting to shake Connors' hand.