PDA

View Full Version : String Slippage - GAH!

sstchur
03-18-2010, 08:50 PM
I have a Silent Partner Swing (you know, drop-weight, floating clamps; nothing earth-shattering).

I've strung lots and lots of racquets, mostly using Forten Sweet, but I switch it up occasionally.

Recently, I bought a single pack of Pro Supex Maxim Touch 17, and I was able to string it up no problem.

Then, I bought a reel of it (along with a reel of Gosen OG Sheep Micro 16) and every time I've tried to use the MT since, it's been slipping like CRAZY!

It slipped so many times tonight, that I finally just gave up trying to string the racquet. I had the clamps so tight, I was practically crushing the string and it was still slipping.

Why didn't this happen the first time I strung with MT? I cleaned my clamps not too long ago with rubbing alcohol, as per SP's instructions.

I can't imagine they need to be cleaned before every stringing?

The only thing I can think of is the additional Gosen I've been stringing with. Could it possible have some sort of a coating on it or something that, when I'm done with the Gosen and I move to trying to string something with MT, the clamps are slipping due to some residue from the Gosen?

That's a total guess on my part; I have no idea. I'm just grasping for ideas here, because I totally don't get it.

Any help appreciated.

jmjmkim
03-18-2010, 09:55 PM
I have the Klipper, and on some strings when it slips beyond control, I use two clamps. I don't want to overtighten the clamp, as it will peel and strip the layers of the strings. When I use two clamps, it holds. I only had to do this for the mains, and when I get to the cross, one clamps will always hold. It takes a little extra time, using two clamps though.

dancraig
03-18-2010, 10:11 PM
Clean the clamps again. Sometimes cleaning is required after only a few frames, depending on the coatings on the strings used.

Valjean
03-19-2010, 04:02 AM
Rather than continuing to tighten the clamps, wrap the string first with something else that holds it too.

A folded business card used to be recommended.

rasajadad
03-19-2010, 05:35 AM
For those of you that don't string PS Maxim Touch regularly, you need to know that the string's coating is quite oily. Whenever I string it (which is often) I clean the clamps right after. No matter what string you do next I can almost guarantee it will slip if you dont clean them off.

mikeler
03-19-2010, 05:49 AM
For those of you that don't string PS Maxim Touch regularly, you need to know that the string's coating is quite oily. Whenever I string it (which is often) I clean the clamps right after. No matter what string you do next I can almost guarantee it will slip if you dont clean them off.

Interesting. I've done about 10 straight jobs of Maxim Touch 17 with no slippage. Mine are probably due for a cleaning anyways though.

Standupnfall
03-19-2010, 06:01 AM
I clean my clamps often but for this string I find the clamps need to be tight enough to leave some pretty serious marks for the first pull and I have not had any breakage or fraying at the clamped part on the string.

Next time I may try the business card trick or just put my starting clamp behind the clamp.

MAX PLY
03-19-2010, 06:21 AM
I clean my clamps often but for this string I find the clamps need to be tight enough to leave some pretty serious marks for the first pull and I have not had any breakage or fraying at the clamped part on the string.

Next time I may try the business card trick or just put my starting clamp behind the clamp.

Either method should work--I ususally use the starting clamp method because I find it to be easier. I also keep my clamps and glide bars (I have a Neos) pretty clean. Good luck.

mikeler
03-19-2010, 06:42 AM
I also use a starting clamp and apply pretty good clamp pressure to the string. You definitely notice the ghosting of the clamps on the string.

rasajadad
03-19-2010, 10:24 AM
Interesting. I've done about 10 straight jobs of Maxim Touch 17 with no slippage. Mine are probably due for a cleaning anyways though.

Maybe I got a greasy reel?

mikeler
03-19-2010, 11:11 AM
Maybe I got a greasy reel?

What gauge did you get? I got mine off the big auction site since TW does not sell it. Mine never seems very slippery.