PDA

View Full Version : Youtek Prestige MP-tension?

EKnee08
03-19-2010, 06:16 AM
Hi All:

I currently have my Youtek Prestige MP strung with Babolat VS at 58. I am considering reducing the tension a few lbs to get some extra pop and to be a little easier on my arm and shoulder. How much lower would you go without sacrificing control but to add some pop?

i suck at tennis
03-19-2010, 07:56 AM
If I was in your situation I would drop it 3 lbs on the next stringjob, assuming that you use the same string

EKnee08
03-19-2010, 08:01 AM
If I was in your situation I would drop it 3 lbs on the next stringjob, assuming that you use the same string

Yes, I will be keeping the same string. Thanks. I was thinking 2-3 lbs. 3 lbs would be 55.

coyfish
03-19-2010, 08:53 AM
I have mine strung with 53 lb mains and 55 lb crosses.

This frame has plenty of control so I think the lower spectrum of the tension is ideal. Higher tensions felt so boardy / harsh that I nearly sold the frame. Lower tension changed everything for me. Stringing with hybrid that is.

EKnee08
03-19-2010, 09:41 AM

This frame has plenty of control so I think the lower spectrum of the tension is ideal. Higher tensions felt so boardy / harsh that I nearly sold the frame. Lower tension changed everything for me. Stringing with hybrid that is.

Thanks. I am not so sure I would try Hybrid at this point being that I had rotator cuff surgery a few years ago but your general suggestion to reduce the tension to at least 55 makes sense. (The demo had sonic pro and I couldn't believe the control and accuracy I had attained but it was very harsh and I am not sure I would even fool around with a hybrid at this point.)

coyfish
03-19-2010, 10:53 AM
Well to be honest with full syn gut or multi im not too sure. I demo'd this frame with a full tight bed of average syn gut and it felt bad. Loved the balance / swingweight of the frame but the feel off the strings was so harsh / hard compared to my LM radical. It was like hitting with a piece of wood. No feel at all and no power. Not sure how people play like that.

I bought the frame thinking with my string setup, the feel off the strings would change. I first strung it at 55mains 56 crosses which is slightly under the middle range of recc. tension. Still felt hard with no power / feel. Was tiring me out just to hit the ball over the net and im a pretty strong / fit guy.

Then I was about to sell it when I had it restrung even looser. Changed the frame completely. One of the problems might be the sweet spot which is miniscule. Im going to hit today and fool around with lead to see if I can open up the sweetspot a bit more.

EKnee08
03-19-2010, 11:11 AM
Well to be honest with full syn gut or multi im not too sure. I demo'd this frame with a full tight bed of average syn gut and it felt bad. Loved the balance / swingweight of the frame but the feel off the strings was so harsh / hard compared to my LM radical. It was like hitting with a piece of wood. No feel at all and no power. Not sure how people play like that.

I bought the frame thinking with my string setup, the feel off the strings would change. I first strung it at 55mains 56 crosses which is slightly under the middle range of recc. tension. Still felt hard with no power / feel. Was tiring me out just to hit the ball over the net and im a pretty strong / fit guy.

Then I was about to sell it when I had it restrung even looser. Changed the frame completely. One of the problems might be the sweet spot which is miniscule. Im going to hit today and fool around with lead to see if I can open up the sweetspot a bit more.

I hear you. Not a powerful frame. I am using VS Gut 17. So you are saying that reducing the tension down to 55 with my natural gut will help? Please elaborate as to how was the frame changed with your current setup?

By the way, I worked out last night in my drill group with a kid who was ranked in the top 5 in the 14s in the east. I was joking around with him and with a guy who plays regularly in the group about being old and broken down (chronic knee issues). The kid brought up the fact that I would benefit from more power of say a youtek radical mp which he was playing with. Both the pro and myself explained that I used to play with the rad leaded up a bit but I play better with the Prestige although I don't get as much power as with the Rad. (My shoulder and arm are sore today although it hasn't been since I adjusted to the frame. Probably because I went all out against the kid and the pro in drills.)

coyfish
03-19-2010, 11:33 AM
I came from a leaded up / leather grip LM Radical too.

The strings felt so much softer and more responsive. I got more feel and the perfect amount of power. The racquet is demanding . . . no way around that. Im a solid 4.5 with developed strokes and the tight string pattern really makes me go after my shots. If I get lazy I am punished. The radical gave me a ton of flexibility with my shots and was a lot more forgiving. In the long run I think the prestige will make be a better player. I bought a MG prestige pro which is similar to the YT prestige MP. Slightly heavier but with the same SW, flex, balance etc. Only change is a bigger sweet spot with an open pattern (16X19). Its easier to play with so I have one of each.

The LM radical is just a touch too powerful for my taste. Could be fixed with tight poly but my arm won't like that combo.

EKnee08
03-22-2010, 06:18 AM

Also, I initially had them strung w/ VS 17 at 58 lbs at the recommendation of the store where I bought them (they said it would lose 2 lbs tension) but found it to be a bit hard on my arm and shoulder. I am having them restrung with VS Tonic feel (16) on a new machine that is very accurate. As a result, the pro shop recommended a tension of 55. Does that make sense or would you go with 54 lbs? (He stated if you go too low below the recommended range 57 lbs +/-5 lbs, the frame would lose its playing characteristics.

mrmo1115
03-22-2010, 04:26 PM
I use a Prestige MP ... String my tensions at 55/57... strings are PHT/Gut.

Since your using full gut, I'd use 56-57..But don't quote me because I never tried a full Gut bed and don't intend to for $ reasons.

bad_call
03-23-2010, 05:36 AM
Also, I initially had them strung w/ VS 17 at 58 lbs at the recommendation of the store where I bought them (they said it would lose 2 lbs tension) but found it to be a bit hard on my arm and shoulder. I am having them restrung with VS Tonic feel (16) on a new machine that is very accurate. As a result, the stringer recommended a tension of 55. Does that make sense or would you go with 54 lbs? (He stated if you go too low below the recommended range 57 lbs +/-5 lbs, the frame would lose its playing characteristics.

as posted in response to this in another thread, dependent on strings and one's strokes.

todd03blown
03-25-2010, 11:36 AM

Could you share the strings you are using? I am getting ready to buy this racquet and am curious what others are using. Thanks for helping out if you don't mind.

EKnee08
03-25-2010, 12:17 PM
Also, I initially had them strung w/ VS 17 at 58 lbs at the recommendation of the store where I bought them (they said it would lose 2 lbs tension) but found it to be a bit hard on my arm and shoulder. I am having them restrung with VS Tonic feel (16) on a new machine that is very accurate. As a result, the pro shop recommended a tension of 55. Does that make sense or would you go with 54 lbs? (He stated if you go too low below the recommended range 57 lbs +/-5 lbs, the frame would lose its playing characteristics.

As a follow-up:
I was going back and forth between 55 and 54. The guy who runs the pro shop suggested 55 but the stringer said 54. I went with 54-the stringer's recommendation.

I have a hitting session tonight. I'll let you know my thoughts after the session.

coyfish
03-25-2010, 12:43 PM
Could you share the strings you are using? I am getting ready to buy this racquet and am curious what others are using. Thanks for helping out if you don't mind.

The poly is use is Big ace Micro or Unique Big Hitter.

Then I use gosen ogm on the crosses

todd03blown
03-25-2010, 01:04 PM
The poly is use is Big ace Micro or Unique Big Hitter.

Then I use gosen ogm on the crosses

Thanks!!!!

EKnee08
03-26-2010, 07:06 AM
As a follow-up:
I was going back and forth between 55 and 54. The guy who runs the pro shop suggested 55 but the stringer said 54. I went with 54-the stringer's recommendation.

I have a hitting session tonight. I'll let you know my thoughts after the session.

Coyfish: Wow, what a difference reducing the tension to 54 made! There was so much more pop. As you stated, it was almost like a different racquet and was not boardy at all. Maybe a little too much pop coming after 58 lbs but now my arm and shoulder felt great and got much better better depth and penetration and hit a heavier ball with less effort while keeping the ball in play. My first serves were harder and my seconds had more movement. At 58, my shots had substantially less penetration.
It played closer to my rads, which were strung at 55 but with greater control and stability.
However, as expected a reduction in precision and in placement by reducing the tension by 4 lbs. Next time I will go up a lb to 55 but overall it played much better than at 58, not boardy at all.

Yaz
03-26-2010, 09:01 AM
Coyfish: Wow, what a difference reducing the tension to 54 made! There was so much more pop. As you stated, it was almost like a different racquet and was not boardy at all. Maybe a little too much pop coming after 58 lbs but now my arm and shoulder felt great and got much better better depth and penetration and hit a heavier ball with less effort while keeping the ball in play. My first serves were harder and my seconds had more movement. At 58, my shots had substantially less penetration.
It played closer to my rads, which were strung at 55 but with greater control and stability.
However, as expected a reduction in precision and in placement by reducing the tension by 4 lbs. Next time I will go up a lb to 55 but overall it played much better than at 58, not boardy at all.

What kind of stringer was used? I'm having some trouble dialing in my tension on this same racquet. Have gone from full poly at 54 to multi/poly hybrid at 60 strung on a NEOS. However I've read there's about a 4lb difference between crank and constant pull machine so my 60lbs would be about 56 on a constant pull...

EKnee08
03-26-2010, 09:15 AM
What kind of stringer was used? I'm having some trouble dialing in my tension on this same racquet. Have gone from full poly at 54 to multi/poly hybrid at 60 strung on a NEOS. However I've read there's about a 4lb difference between crank and constant pull machine so my 60lbs would be about 56 on a constant pull...

I believe it was on a Wilson Baiardo.

http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2009/09/16_wilson_baiardo.html

voodoo
03-31-2010, 03:53 PM
The question was regarding the mid not MP as discussed in the link.

I have 1 YT mid with head sonic mains/head fxp crosses at 57 lbs which is pretty good but my game is much more suited to the other YT mid strung with X1 Biphase at 57lbs - alot more touch/comfort and bit more pop for my flattish groundies.

voodoo
03-31-2010, 03:59 PM
Disregard last post - wrong thread!

Connors
03-31-2010, 04:14 PM
I'm glad for this discussion. I had my Youtek Prestige MP strung at 57-58, it did feel a little stiff and boardy.

I'm changing the tension to about 53 with Bi-phase 17. Any thoughts. I'm waiting to get the racket back.

voodoo
03-31-2010, 04:31 PM
Interested to know your thoughts. BTW , I also used 6 grams lead total for first ever time (been playing 30 years!) at 3 and 9 and enjoyed the solid feel.

Fedfan1995
04-09-2010, 04:35 PM
love the heft of this stick! but my demo is strung with full poly at 60ibs O_O i wasnt gonna buy it because i could barely get the ball over the net, but after reading this, i think i can pull it off by stringing at 54, with poly/multi hybrid