PDA

View Full Version : Best Multi for Spin and Bite?

supineAnimation
03-19-2010, 02:06 PM
Title says it all. I've tried NRG2 16, Multi-Feel 16 and Rip Control 16, but I'm looking for something with more bite and that can produce more spin in a full bed. And one that's durable, ideally. And relatively cheap. And will make me faster.

athiker
03-19-2010, 02:19 PM
You forgot better looking. :)

Zack113
03-19-2010, 07:28 PM
luxilon big banger powerspin 16g

TennisKid1
03-19-2010, 07:33 PM
Prince top spin

babar
03-19-2010, 08:10 PM
I have tried the Wilson Hollow Core Pro 17g in a couple fo BLX demos and each racquet had good feel and spin.

supineAnimation
03-19-2010, 08:19 PM
luxilon big banger powerspin 16g
Not a multi.

Valjean
03-20-2010, 05:37 AM
Volkl's new one out, their Gripper: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Volkl_Gripper_16_String/descpageACVOLKL-VGRIP16.html

Zack113
03-20-2010, 06:42 AM
oh sorry haha i guess i read over that part

supineAnimation
03-20-2010, 06:44 AM
Volkl's new one out, their Gripper: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Volkl_Gripper_16_String/descpageACVOLKL-VGRIP16.html
Have you hit with this string?

rschuller
03-20-2010, 07:05 AM
Technifibre X-1 Biphase

Great spin and Bite + Natty Gut feel!

Noisy Ninja
03-20-2010, 07:27 AM
My recommendation would be the Yonex Tour Super 850 Pro. The coating on this string does provide additional "bite"; I've used it in a full setup and quite pleased with the spin potential. It's also decent in the durability department; doesn't fray but rather notches before breakage. A hidden gem of a string in my view.
You can't go wrong @ $8.95 a set: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Yonex_Tour_Super_850_Pro_16_String/descpageACYONEX-Y85016.html

supineAnimation
03-20-2010, 08:41 AM
Yeah, this is near the top of my list for the next multi I try. Kinda pricey, though.

brownbearfalling
03-21-2010, 11:40 PM
Try string savers. The thicker the string saver = the more spin it will give you.

LW professional spin is textured. Give that a try. I have not played with it but I've seen the texture on it, it is there.

brownbearfalling
03-21-2010, 11:42 PM
There are also other ways you can achieve more spin from your racquet. Lead tape comes to mind. Making your racquet more head light will allow you to whip through your shots giving you more spin.

supineAnimation
03-22-2010, 07:57 AM
My frames are already leaded and ~7.5pts HL. I still get plenty of spin from technique, but I've grown so accustomed to the extreme spin I got from full polys all those years.

Lefty5
03-22-2010, 08:34 AM
Technifibre X-1 Biphase

Great spin and Bite + Natty Gut feel!

+1 for this setup!

leafscat
03-22-2010, 09:25 AM
My recommendation would be the Yonex Tour Super 850 Pro. The coating on this string does provide additional "bite"; I've used it in a full setup and quite pleased with the spin potential. It's also decent in the durability department; doesn't fray but rather notches before breakage. A hidden gem of a string in my view.
You can't go wrong @ $8.95 a set: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Yonex_Tour_Super_850_Pro_16_String/descpageACYONEX-Y85016.html

I use the Yonex Tour Super 850 Pro and appreciate the spin and like that the strings appear not to move (bounce back I understand would be more appropriate). I have also found that I haven't had any arm issues with the 850 Pro.

My wife on the other hand loves her set-up of Technifibre X-1 Biphase 17G. Very arm friendly and good spin and power. The 17G durability has not proven to be an issue for her.

Valjean
03-22-2010, 10:23 AM
Have you hit with this string?
Is it your idea as well that the, well, "default" position in here is that strings that are recommended haven't ever been hit with, though? Strangest assumption yet.

supineAnimation
03-22-2010, 11:00 AM
Is it your idea as well that the, well, "default" position in here is that strings that are recommended haven't ever been hit with, though? Strangest assumption yet.
Huh?

Quote: "Volkl's new one out..." which seems to imply that, well, this is a new string. And since it's new and you didn't mention single reaction or description of how this new string played, doesn't seem like all that strange a question to ask whether you've hit with it, now does it? But never mind. I'll rely on the posters that are happy to answer questions without reading anything into them. Thanks.

N2Deep
03-22-2010, 12:54 PM
I've been using a full multi stringbed for a while. I've experimented with many different kinds.

The best all around in my opinion is Wilson Sensation. Durable, good feel, good topspin. I can't seem to find anything better for now.

supineAnimation
03-22-2010, 01:19 PM
I've been using a full multi stringbed for a while. I've experimented with many different kinds.

The best all around in my opinion is Wilson Sensation. Durable, good feel, good topspin. I can't seem to find anything better for now.
Great. And fairly cheap to boot. This has shot to the near-top of my list. Thanks.

JT Corona
03-22-2010, 04:56 PM
Title says it all. I've tried NRG2 16, Multi-Feel 16 and Rip Control 16, but I'm looking for something with more bite and that can produce more spin in a full bed. And one that's durable, ideally. And relatively cheap. And will make me faster.

Going with Tecnifibre X1-Biphase 17 for my second stringjob on my new Volkl PB10 MP. First string was Sensation 17 at 57 lbs. On TT, the Sensation doesn't get much praise and I could more or less see why. I think its a decent soft multi that I dont hate but personally I'd want something more crisp, and with more spin and bite. Also the durability was below average for me.

X1 is highly recommended from many sources and I can't wait to try for myself. I'm having them strung at 60 mains and 58 crosses. I have previously hit NRG 16g and I was rather pleased with it so hopefully X1 lives up to the hype for me.

supineAnimation
03-22-2010, 06:57 PM
Going with Tecnifibre X1-Biphase 17 for my second stringjob on my new Volkl PB10 MP. First string was Sensation 17 at 57 lbs. On TT, the Sensation doesn't get much praise and I could more or less see why. I think its a decent soft multi that I dont hate but personally I'd want something more crisp, and with more spin and bite. Also the durability was below average for me.

X1 is highly recommended from many sources and I can't wait to try for myself. I'm having them strung at 60 mains and 58 crosses. I have previously hit NRG 16g and I was rather pleased with it so hopefully X1 lives up to the hype for me.
I'm with you. Everything I've heard about X1 makes it sounds great. It's just the price I don't like. I like NRG2 a lot, but it didn't last me as long as I would've liked and I'm looking for a bit more spin, although NRG2 gave me more spin than either Multi-Feel (not by much) or Rip Control (quite a bit more). So I'll be curious to see how you like the X1.

Do string prices drop when the companies come out with newer strings like racquet prices drop?

JT Corona
03-22-2010, 07:36 PM
I'm with you. Everything I've heard about X1 makes it sounds great. It's just the price I don't like. I like NRG2 a lot, but it didn't last me as long as I would've liked and I'm looking for a bit more spin, although NRG2 gave me more spin than either Multi-Feel (not by much) or Rip Control (quite a bit more). So I'll be curious to see how you like the X1.

Do string prices drop when the companies come out with newer strings like racquet prices drop?

I may hybrid the X1 with a cheap but good syn gut (Gosen OG or PSGO) to off set the costs, but we shall see. I may just wind up playing with a full Gosen OG setup. Like you I'm looking for a multi I can hit out with and still have control.

I dont think the more popular strings drop by much. NRG has been around for awhile and I think it has stayed about the same price.

Lsmkenpo
03-22-2010, 10:49 PM
Babolat Addiction gives similar spin and bite as a soft poly string, I was very surpised by it, I bet most players would never guess it was a multi playtesting it, if you didn't tell them beforehand.

0d1n
03-22-2010, 11:25 PM

The two words "Sensation" and "durable" should never be uttered in the same sentence. It is cheapish and has pretty good feel...but DURABLE it is not...by any standard and any stretch of the imagination. The only people who could qualify that string as durable would be people who never break strings IMO.
Back to the topic ..."poly like" spin generation is I think impossible to find in a multi, but I've had good "bite / spin" with Volkl Power Fiber 2. I found it "crisp" for a multi and had good results with it when trying to apply spin/loop on my shots. Some of the Yonex multis (already mentioned) have been pretty good in that respect as well.
If price is a concern, and it always is ... Prince SynthGut Multifilament is a very good all round string. Nothing spectacular in spin generation but it's not that bad either...it is also cheapish and it's MILES ahead of strings like Wilson Sensation when it comes to durability.
Good luck with your search.

KenC
03-23-2010, 03:34 AM
...I'm looking for a bit more spin, although NRG2 gave me more spin than either Multi-Feel (not by much) or Rip Control (quite a bit more)...

Hey Supine, so I gather the Rip Control didn't work out for you?

That Yonex Tour Pro string sounds interesting and I have heard in the past that it is very arm friendly. I never tried it as no one carries it here.

Anyway, worst case scenario is you have to settle for NRG2. That's not so bad! Even if you had to downgrade to MultiFeel you'll still do fine. Most important thing is to keep your arm healthy so you can play all you want.

Valjean
03-23-2010, 04:17 AM
Babolat Addiction gives similar spin and bite as a soft poly string, I was very surpised by it, I bet most players would never guess it was a multi playtesting it, if you didn't tell them beforehand.
You've put your finger on what's up with Addiction, which is why I started a thread about comparing it to Babolat's N.vy, just out. Although it's harder than Addiction, N.vy doesn't feel like a standard synthetic gut, too, and does produce a similar sensation when hit with. Babolat's onto something as it seeks to bring the feel of synthetic gut and multifilaments into line with that of polyester, adding more pop to your game with increased hitting strength.

svlin
03-23-2010, 06:49 AM
Hey Supine, I have now used both multifeel, NRG2, and Volkl Gripper 17G, and Head Rip Control 16G.

The Volkl Gripper IMO does have more spin/bite compared to the other three. But the downside for me was the durability. NRG2 lasts about 7-8hrs for me, and Gripper only lasted 4-5hrs. Both strings are very playable and soft so if you have the chance, give Gripper a try. I am surprised you tried Rip Control, I found that it has a more muted/boardy feel to it and even though RSI lists it as a softer string, I thought it made my string bed MORE stiff than NRG2 or Gripper.

supineAnimation
03-23-2010, 07:54 AM
Hey Supine, so I gather the Rip Control didn't work out for you?

That Yonex Tour Pro string sounds interesting and I have heard in the past that it is very arm friendly. I never tried it as no one carries it here.

Anyway, worst case scenario is you have to settle for NRG2. That's not so bad! Even if you had to downgrade to MultiFeel you'll still do fine. Most important thing is to keep your arm healthy so you can play all you want.
I wouldn't say it didn't work out, and it seems like it will be a bit more durable than Multi-Feel or NRG2, but it doesn't have much in the way of bite and I get less spin from Rip Control than I did from either the Multi-Feel or NRG2. I really NRG2 and it was more durable than Multi-Feel, but it's a bit pricey. My stringer doesn't carry the Yonex string either or I would try it. I may buy a set anyway and have him string it up because if it's good for spin and durability, the price is right and I could buy a reel and give it to my stringer to use for me.

supineAnimation
03-23-2010, 07:59 AM
Hey Supine, I have now used both multifeel, NRG2, and Volkl Gripper 17G, and Head Rip Control 16G.

The Volkl Gripper IMO does have more spin/bite compared to the other three. But the downside for me was the durability. NRG2 lasts about 7-8hrs for me, and Gripper only lasted 4-5hrs. Both strings are very playable and soft so if you have the chance, give Gripper a try. I am surprised you tried Rip Control, I found that it has a more muted/boardy feel to it and even though RSI lists it as a softer string, I thought it made my string bed MORE stiff than NRG2 or Gripper.
Rip Control is definitely the most muted multi of the three I've tried so far (Multi-Feel, NRG2 and Rip Control) but I hear it's more durable (so far so good) and it's nice and soft. But no bite and no spin at all really and I find it really difficult to hit a buggy whip forehand with the Rip Control and much more so than with the Multi-Feel and NRG2. Not sure if my stringer carries Volkl string but if so I may try it. It's a little pricey though. I think I'm gonna try X1 next, even though it's expensive. I'm willing to pay a bit more for a more durable multi if it can truly provide more bite, so we'll see. Thanks.

bad_call
03-23-2010, 08:09 AM
sA - good luck on your journey tho it might be a long one. have also traveled down this a ways. instead found a soft co-poly. :)

kalic
03-23-2010, 10:36 AM
Multifeel 17 !!! Great spin&bite in dense pattern.
But I didn't try it in open pattern racquets...

mikeler
03-23-2010, 11:22 AM
Great idea. How about we just discuss multis with good spin and bite from now on and take each other's words at face value?

Attaboy! I'm a spin meister so that is why I keep lurking in this thread. Maxim Touch 17 is the only multi I've tried which is why I'm interested in the opinions on other brands.

JediMindTrick
03-23-2010, 12:47 PM

I second that, Addiction gives the most spin of any multi I tried and it's not even close.

supineAnimation
03-23-2010, 01:49 PM
I second that, Addiction gives the most spin of any multi I tried and it's not even close.
How is it in terms of durability, men?

supineAnimation
03-23-2010, 01:51 PM
Multifeel 17 !!! Great spin&bite in dense pattern.
But I didn't try it in open pattern racquets...
I'd say it's better than Rip Control for spin and bite but a tad below NRG2. However, the Multi-Feel 16 busted for me very early. Granted it could've been a one-time thing, but it seems others have questioned its durability.

JT Corona
03-25-2010, 07:54 PM

I have played with X1 for a couple hours only and so far its going really well. Seems to fit me better than Sensation 17. To me X1 is very similar to NRG but firmer (still very comfortable however). I wouldn't say its crisper than a PSG but with this multifillament you really feel the pocketing effect. The X1 also is feeling better and better as I play with it. I heard this string starts out firmer then settles in at a slightly softer/looser feel. Spin and bite is actually pretty good esp as I become more used to the string. Has a very quality feel to it with a consistent response. All Tecnifibre multis seem to have polyurathane and I'm wondering what it would feel like without it. The Yonex 850 has got me interested as I know they make quality products and its a little cheaper as well. Anyways so far X1 is impressing me.

supineAnimation
03-25-2010, 07:58 PM
I have played with X1 for a couple hours only and so far its going really well. Seems to fit me better than Sensation 17. To me X1 is very similar to NRG but firmer (still very comfortable however). I wouldn't say its crisper than a PSG but with this multifillament you really feel the pocketing effect. The X1 also is feeling better and better as I play with it. I heard this string starts out firmer then settles in at a slightly softer/looser feel. Spin and bite is actually pretty good esp as I become more used to the string. Has a very quality feel to it with a consistent response. All Tecnifibre multis seem to have polyurathane and I'm wondering what it would feel like without it. The Yonex 850 has got me interested as I know they make quality products and its a little cheaper as well. Anyways so far X1 is impressing me.
Yeah, I think I gotta go with X1 next even if it's pricey. Just heard too many good things. Let me know how the durability is. Rip Control has gotten pretty mushy now that I've been hitting with it for a week or so. Strings don't move too much; seems pretty durable. But bite has dropped off and it wasn't that great to begin with.

KenC
03-26-2010, 02:35 AM
Yeah, I think I gotta go with X1 next even if it's pricey. Just heard too many good things. Let me know how the durability is. Rip Control has gotten pretty mushy now that I've been hitting with it for a week or so. Strings don't move too much; seems pretty durable. But bite has dropped off and it wasn't that great to begin with.

Hey Supine, be careful because if you like NRG2 and MultiFeel, you are going to LOVE X-One. It gives the best of both worlds between the two in terms of power AND control. It's durability is about the same as the other two but the cost is not. Here in Italy I can get MultiFeel for about 10 and its about 22 for X-One, before labor costs. Considering I get 15-20 hours of playability before breakage, X-One can get expensive.

X-One also plays kind of stiff until it breaks in. I always let my newly strung racquets sit overnight before using them, and then a little rallying is enough to get them broken in. I don't know if you will get better spin with X-One either, but it is a very playable string and gives great feel.

supineAnimation
03-26-2010, 07:08 AM
Hey Supine, be careful because if you like NRG2 and MultiFeel, you are going to LOVE X-One. It gives the best of both worlds between the two in terms of power AND control. It's durability is about the same as the other two but the cost is not. Here in Italy I can get MultiFeel for about 10 and its about 22 for X-One, before labor costs. Considering I get 15-20 hours of playability before breakage, X-One can get expensive.

X-One also plays kind of stiff until it breaks in. I always let my newly strung racquets sit overnight before using them, and then a little rallying is enough to get them broken in. I don't know if you will get better spin with X-One either, but it is a very playable string and gives great feel.
I know... the price bothers me. I'm also gonna try a cheaper co-poly at a lower tension as well to see if a soft co-poly at a lower tension will be comparable to multis at higher tensions but with more spin potential. But I think X1's next and then a soft co-poly. X1 will be one the most expensive string I've tried considering it's not much cheaper than BB Alu and I'm sure I won't get nearly as much time before X1 busts as I did with BB Alu. I hate spending a lot of money on strings, but I need to find an acceptable combination of price, arm comfort and spin for my YTPPs. The nice thing is that I can play with any of the multis I've tried in these frames without feeling the slightest arm pain or fatigue, which is great because I was afraid that the stiffer frames might be a problem. But not at all with these multis and after a few weeks adjusting to the YTPP, I'm in love with the racquets and I'm hitting as well as I ever have.

pvaudio
03-26-2010, 08:57 AM
Looking for a multi for spin production seems a bit...counterintuitive, don't you think? Why not get a good spin poly and cross it with a multi to soften the string bed, but still get the spin benefits of the poly? I don't typically use multifilaments anymore, but when I was using them, I would only use NRG2. It's the best value overall IMO.

However, and it is a HUGE however, if you want a multifilament that does everything better than everything else, you only have one choice: Laserfibre Supernatural Gut: Pro Stock. This string is, in my opinion, the best multifilament that money can buy and is worth the extra cost. Unfortunately, it is not durable and is a waste to use it as a cross string. So, if you have a lot of money and string for yourself, Pro Stock is truly second to none.

supineAnimation
03-26-2010, 09:16 AM
Looking for a multi for spin production seems a bit...counterintuitive, don't you think? Why not get a good spin poly and cross it with a multi to soften the string bed, but still get the spin benefits of the poly? I don't typically use multifilaments anymore, but when I was using them, I would only use NRG2. It's the best value overall IMO.

However, and it is a HUGE however, if you want a multifilament that does everything better than everything else, you only have one choice: Laserfibre Supernatural Gut: Pro Stock. This string is, in my opinion, the best multifilament that money can buy and is worth the extra cost. Unfortunately, it is not durable and is a waste to use it as a cross string. So, if you have a lot of money and string for yourself, Pro Stock is truly second to none.
Not really. I've only tried 3 multis so far but some have allowed for more spin production than others. I was a full-poly man for years but with a stiffer frame, I want something more comfortable for the arm. Too cheap for hybrids, so I'm looking at multis and co-polys to try to find a comfortable string that gets me at least closer to the spin I had with full-polys.

TheRed
03-26-2010, 09:18 AM
Great. And fairly cheap to boot. This has shot to the near-top of my list. Thanks.

Umm, I won't comment on Sensation's playability because that's so subjective but it's one of the least durable strings out there. For certain players, any string is durable. For me, Sensation would last 1 1/2 hours.

coloskier
03-26-2010, 10:28 AM
Head RIP Control 17 gives a pretty good bite.

supineAnimation
03-26-2010, 11:07 AM
Head RIP Control 17 gives a pretty good bite.
Like the price and the softness, and likely the durability for a multi, but the bite and spin for me were not very good at all and in this regard, Rip Control underperformed against NRG2 and Multi-Feel.

russell
03-26-2010, 11:25 AM
I'd like to chime in and second Head RIP Control 17, but judging by your avatar, it looks like you're a string breaker.

What was the rationale for stringing RIP Control a pound higher than NRG2? If the price is right don't give up the fight! RIP is a stiffer string so give it another go at a lower tension if you haven't done so already.

Fedace
03-26-2010, 12:01 PM
That new Head string. it is the harshest Multi i have ever seen. but it does grip the ball well

supineAnimation
03-26-2010, 12:09 PM
That new Head string. it is the harshest Multi i have ever seen. but it does grip the ball well
What's it called?