PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to gut hybrid on wet days?

Mig1NC
03-19-2010, 05:52 PM
So, I've recently been experimenting with a gut hybrid. So far, I love it. I'm not a string breaker, so I expect the poly cross to die out long before I would break it.

But I am concerned about the very wet spring weather around here. It isn't uncommon to have dampness around the court on match days.

I was wondering what an alternative to gut-main poly-cross hybrid would be for wet or very humid weather days?

I know LaserFibre would be the best gut substitute, but I don't think I'll buy anything from them until they get their act sorted out.

Searching the forums it seems that Babolat Xcel (premium or power) would be the next closest thing.

How does Xcel play with, say WC Silverstring, Pacific Poly Force, or X Force in the crosses?

Would that be my next best bet?

Would a full set of Xcel be a better option than hybriding?

Nellie
03-19-2010, 06:24 PM
I do a hybrid with Tecnifibre X1 biophase - it works great, except on hot days.

Mig1NC
03-20-2010, 03:35 AM
I do a hybrid with Tecnifibre X1 biophase - it works great, except on hot days.

Thanks. Do you hybrid it with a poly in the crosses? Or visa versa?

ClubHoUno
03-20-2010, 02:44 PM
Try:

1. X-One 17
2. Xcel Power 17
3. NRG2 17
4. Explosiv
5. NXT Tour

Hybrid it with WeissCannon Silverstring, Signum Pro Hyperion, Lux Alu Power or SPPP in the crosses.

toeknee
03-20-2010, 02:54 PM
if youre concerned about poly dying out, give kevlar a try

Mig1NC
03-20-2010, 03:17 PM
Thanks!

Well, I have two to get restrung, so I'll try one with X-One and one with Xcel mains since my stringer has both.

My stringer is an SP dealer and can get that stuff, so maybe I'll try the Hyperion on the crosses. I've read on the forums that it is a very good string.

Which of those SP strings is the slickest? I like for my mains to be able to rebound without getting drag from the crosses.

This weather almost makes me miss the drought from years past.

ClubHoUno
03-20-2010, 04:25 PM
Thanks!

Well, I have two to get restrung, so I'll try one with X-One and one with Xcel mains since my stringer has both.

My stringer is an SP dealer and can get that stuff, so maybe I'll try the Hyperion on the crosses. I've read on the forums that it is a very good string.

Which of those SP strings is the slickest? I like for my mains to be able to rebound without getting drag from the crosses.

This weather almost makes me miss the drought from years past.

Hyperion in my view is an awesome poly, but you have to like a sort of dampened feel from a poly for you to appreciate Hyperion.

Alu Power is much more crisp, Silverstring is in between them in that regard - but Hyperion is a really nice soft powerful poly in my view.

It's among my personal Top 5 favorites of smooth polys, the other being Alu Power, TIMO, Silverstring and SPPP.

David123
04-26-2010, 11:43 AM
Try:

1. X-One 17
2. Xcel Power 17
3. NRG2 17
4. Explosiv
5. NXT Tour

Hybrid it with WeissCannon Silverstring, Signum Pro Hyperion, Lux Alu Power or SPPP in the crosses.

i'd do it the other way around unless its an expensive gut.

Donny0627
04-26-2010, 01:25 PM
So, I've recently been experimenting with a gut hybrid. So far, I love it. I'm not a string breaker, so I expect the poly cross to die out long before I would break it.

But I am concerned about the very wet spring weather around here. It isn't uncommon to have dampness around the court on match days.

I was wondering what an alternative to gut-main poly-cross hybrid would be for wet or very humid weather days?

I know LaserFibre would be the best gut substitute, but I don't think I'll buy anything from them until they get their act sorted out.

Searching the forums it seems that Babolat Xcel (premium or power) would be the next closest thing.

How does Xcel play with, say WC Silverstring, Pacific Poly Force, or X Force in the crosses?

Would that be my next best bet?

Would a full set of Xcel be a better option than hybriding?

I hybrid PHT with addiction in the crosses. It works great for me. Whatever poly u use try putting Addiction in the mains