PDA

View Full Version : Recommended String?

Barricade V
03-19-2010, 05:32 PM
I know the crowd here on talk tennis are very knowledgeable on all tennis related topics, so I come here asking for you help. Judging on the fact that this is in the string section, I need some recommended string for my playing style. If you could help, that would be fantastic. So basically I'm a 4.5 17 year old on varsity high school tennis, currently using the Babolat Pure Storm Tour Plus, with Babolat Revenge string at 55 pounds. (although I might switch racquets to the new GT aeropro drive). Anyhow, here's what I need. Spin is really lacking for me right now, especially since I started using the revenge. Power I have enough of, but could use some more. I don't need too much control, as I naturally have it. If I could with a harder poly, I hurt my elbow a little bit, so I would prefer a soft poly, but if necessary, I could see how much a hard poly hurts. I also could use some feel. So basically, Spin and feel are what I'm looking for. I don't break my strings very often. I realize my playing style is more suited to a multi filament, but frankly, I like the feeling of a soft poly for some reason. I am open to all suggestions.

Thanks!

decades
03-19-2010, 06:04 PM
polys are tough. I wanted to use them but my arm aches after I play and it is hard to generate power. If you rip the ball I think poly is for you. If not then a multi like Yonex 850 tour could be just what the doctor ordered.

Barricade V
03-19-2010, 06:08 PM
thanks for the suggestion, I'll look it up!

Valjean
03-22-2010, 10:37 AM
I know the crowd here on talk tennis are very knowledgeable on all tennis related topics, so I come here asking for you help. Judging on the fact that this is in the string section, I need some recommended string for my playing style. If you could help, that would be fantastic. So basically I'm a 4.5 17 year old on varsity high school tennis, currently using the Babolat Pure Storm Tour Plus, with Babolat Revenge string at 55 pounds. (although I might switch racquets to the new GT aeropro drive). Anyhow, here's what I need. Spin is really lacking for me right now, especially since I started using the revenge. Power I have enough of, but could use some more. I don't need too much control, as I naturally have it. If I could with a harder poly, I hurt my elbow a little bit, so I would prefer a soft poly, but if necessary, I could see how much a hard poly hurts. I also could use some feel. So basically, Spin and feel are what I'm looking for. I don't break my strings very often. I realize my playing style is more suited to a multi filament, but frankly, I like the feeling of a soft poly for some reason. I am open to all suggestions.....
An NTRP 4.5 rating, which is only sound when validated through USTA adult league and tournament play too, is what a good *club pro* is; possibly you should re-think yours?

Toad
03-22-2010, 11:33 AM
An NTRP 4.5 rating, which is only sound when validated through USTA league and tournament play too, is what a good *club pro* is; possibly you should re-think yours? This isn't even the point of this thread...he is asking for a string with good feel, spin potential, a moderate amount of power, and is moderately soft. Why are you responding if you don't have a contribution to make?

To OP:
Since you don't break strings often, maybe you should consider a syn gut like Gosen OG-Sheep Micro. In my opinion it has exactly what you are looking for, and the price can't be beat.

An often overlooked string is Ashaway Dynamite. This is a multi, but it has a tighter feel to it while still being soft. It is a bit low powered, but the amount of spin you can get with it is hard to top. Make sure to string it low if you try it though...around 50 probably for you.

As far as a soft poly, Technifibre Blackcode is probably what you are looking for. I would go with a thinner gauge of this to maximize spin since it is a very durable poly.

Barricade V
03-22-2010, 12:08 PM
An NTRP 4.5 rating, which is only sound when validated through USTA league and tournament play too, is what a good *club pro* is; possibly you should re-think yours?

Great point there. Thanks for the string suggestion? I'm sorry if it seems I'm bragging, I'm trying to get the best string for my playing style....

Barricade V
03-22-2010, 12:10 PM
This isn't even the point of this thread...he is asking for a string with good feel, spin potential, a moderate amount of power, and is moderately soft. Why are you responding if you don't have a contribution to make?

To OP:
Since you don't break strings often, maybe you should consider a syn gut like Gosen OG-Sheep Micro. In my opinion it has exactly what you are looking for, and the price can't be beat.

An often overlooked string is Ashaway Dynamite. This is a multi, but it has a tighter feel to it while still being soft. It is a bit low powered, but the amount of spin you can get with it is hard to top. Make sure to string it low if you try it though...around 50 probably for you.

As far as a soft poly, Technifibre Blackcode is probably what you are looking for. I would go with a thinner gauge of this to maximize spin since it is a very durable poly.

Thanks for you suggestions! I've tried the blackcode for a little bit, and absolutely hated it, even though from the specs it would seem I like it. I have tried the Gosen OG-Sheep Micro and it was decent, not spectacular though. I haven't tried the Ashaway though, I'll definitely look at that one. Thanks!

Valjean
03-22-2010, 01:48 PM
Great point there. Thanks for the string suggestion? I'm sorry if it seems I'm bragging, I'm trying to get the best string for my playing style....
This is your fallacy, then: An NTRP rating does not signify some one playing style (unless you count their separate ratings for singles and doubles play). So, you could indicate whether you prefer/play mainly from the baseline, at the net and all over the court.

Try out Wilson's Super Spin, which suits any of the above.

Barricade V
03-22-2010, 04:01 PM
This is your fallacy, then: An NTRP rating does not signify some one playing style (unless you count their separate ratings for singles and doubles play). So, you could indicate whether you prefer/play mainly from the baseline, at the net and all over the court.

Try out Wilson's Super Spin, which suits any of the above.

An NTRP rating will tell you what kind of hitting level you are at. Your not going to suggest prince synthetic gut if I'm a 5.0, nor are you going to suggest a Luxilon Big Banger to a 2.5. I'll check out the string you suggested, thanks for the suggestion.

AllDownTheLine
03-22-2010, 04:52 PM
An NTRP rating will tell you what kind of hitting level you are at. Your not going to suggest prince synthetic gut if I'm a 5.0, nor are you going to suggest a Luxilon Big Banger to a 2.5. I'll check out the string you suggested, thanks for the suggestion.

Very good point.

Valjean
03-22-2010, 05:40 PM
Sorry; check out the USRSA string playtests where playtesters are identified by both an NTRP rating *and* whether they play baseline, serve-and-volley or all-court tennis. Both count with string recommendations; so does their chosen racquet (and its string pattern).

NTRP level is not indicated, as you say, by whether you break your string and how rapidly you do. Typically nowadays early breakage is more often than not the specific lot of baseline players, who take longer swings, generally rely on an open-stance forehand, and produce heavy top.

bastorm0720
03-22-2010, 06:30 PM
Revenge has this weird feel to it but it's got huge pop. If you don't have enough power from Revenge I'd recommend switching to a synthetic...or hybriding Revenge with something else like natural gut.

I've used a hybrid w/ Hurricane Tour in the mains and Revenge in the crosses and it gives awesome spin, almost as much as full hurricane but much more pop, but much less pop than full revenge so i guess you could try that too.

My friend also told me pacific strings are good but I haven't tried them so I don't really know. He said they felt better than full hurricane.