PDA

View Full Version : Nadal so dominant now!

TwistServe
05-05-2005, 12:22 PM
Ghez he's beating everyone hands down 1-3 breaks per set. At this point right now I don't see anyone beating him unless he just gets too fatigued to continue playing.

ian mercier
05-05-2005, 12:41 PM
Twist,

are you seeing the Canas match? Man, the stats are pretty overwhelming aren't they? Nadal is beating people more comprehensively than Coria did last year on his run.

VamosRafa
05-05-2005, 12:44 PM
Twist,

are you seeing the Canas match? Man, the stats are pretty overwhelming aren't they? Nadal is beating people more comprehensively than Coria did last year on his run.

SPOILER

I'll wait and watch it on replay later, but the folks in Europe who are watching it are saying that Rafa is on fire. And based on the stats, he's upped his game from yesterday's performance. Didn't face a single breakpoint.

Stepanek is next - the guy he beat in the semis in Barca. Vamos, Rafael!

TwistServe
05-05-2005, 12:44 PM
Twist,

Just watching the scores right now. I have it recorded and will be looking forward to watching it tonight..

But the scores are what I predicted from seeing Nadal play the last couple weeks. He takes everyone out 6-1, 6-2, 6-3.. no many matches are close until he reaches the finals

gugafanatic
05-05-2005, 12:45 PM
He is simply outplaying respectable clay courters with such ease. This winning streak is incredible as he is winning soo comfortably.

edberg505
05-05-2005, 01:02 PM
I would love to see Nadal play a good serve and volley player, but since there is only one of those guys around nowadays I'm not gonna get my hopes up.

Superior_Forehand
05-05-2005, 01:05 PM
I am so tired of hearing about him. I hope fed crushes him in straight sets in their next meeting.

Thomas
05-05-2005, 01:14 PM
Yes, it's going to be fun to watch Nadal be destroyed by Federer. Let's just hope Federer actually plays well, instead of playing like an idiot.

DashaandSafin
05-05-2005, 01:16 PM
Im also getting tired of him. Ok Nadal is good maybe great later on lets all move on with our pathetic lives shall we? And stop making 1 million posts like this.

Superior_Forehand
05-05-2005, 01:16 PM
I agree completely

Thomas
05-05-2005, 01:17 PM
I hope Safin is taking a serve, breaks his racquet, and kills Nadal with the racquet because it slips out of his hand. That's how sick I am of Nadal.

DashaandSafin
05-05-2005, 01:20 PM
HAHA^

i hope nadal dies because of those womens capri pants wedging up his arse ;)

VamosRafa
05-05-2005, 01:50 PM
First, no one is forcing anyone to read the Nadal threads. You can skip over them if they are so bothersome.

I get sick of hearing about Fed all the time, too. But I understand why there is so much love for him, given what he has accomplished. He's a great player.

Nadal isn't in that league yet, but he's done something pretty amazing for an 18-year-old on today's Tour. He's moving in on the Top 5 soon, assuming he stays healthy, he's won more matches than any guy on Tour this year, and is generating some excitement.

The fact that you don't concur in that enthusiasm is fine. But that's not Nadal's fault. He's doing everything possible to become an elite tennis player, whether or not you like it.

And to be honest, there's been nearly as much as talk about Gasquet lately, even though he basically has one big win under his belt, instead of all of Nadal's accomplishments.

norcal
05-05-2005, 02:23 PM
[QUOTE=VamosRafa]First, no one is forcing anyone to read the Nadal threads. You can skip over them if they are so bothersome.

I get sick of hearing about Fed all the time, too. But I understand why there is so much love for him, given what he has accomplished. He's a great player. [QUOTE]
I'm not sick of Nadal. His streak is quite amazing and is creating a buzz in the sport. Can't wait till him and Fed play more.

That said, the love for Fed isn't because of his accomplishments, it is how he accomplishes. The flair, the genius, the classic all court game. Nadal will never have that. He's a better baseline basher than the rest right now.

lefty10spro
05-05-2005, 02:33 PM
I have been watching tennis since 1972 and I have never seen dominance like this - EVER! Nadal is the real deal and is still getting better. I am an old geezer and I am amazed!

gugafanatic
05-05-2005, 02:46 PM
Nadal will emulate or surpass Gugas wins at RG, and will also win more titles then Guga on clay.

Count Grishnackh
05-05-2005, 02:49 PM
He's burning up the courts right now and Fed's lucky that he didn't take him out again in Miami this year. What I'm worried about is that he plays too much and gets a bit burned out before the French Open. He should take Hamburg off if he wins in Rome.

How funny, Nadal does well so people get tired of him and wanna see him die or lose, which ever happens first. Well people, alot like to watch him play and I wanna see him winning everything and I hope he gets the chance to play Federer on clay to desecrate him. Viva Espana!

splink779
05-05-2005, 02:55 PM
People wan't him to die? That's quite mature. Anyway, the fact is Nadal is DOMINATING on clay right now. He is the best clay courter on the entire planet, at least this year. His determination, mental toughness, incredible fitness level are all great assets and he's not even 19 yet. All of you who are sick of hearing about him on this board better get over it pretty quick, because it will continue to go on for a while. If Federer had a tough time on hard courts beating him, theres no doubt Nadal will crush him on clay.

DashaandSafin
05-05-2005, 03:10 PM
See obvioulsy you guys cant take a joke....no one wants someone else to die ok? Im no Fed fan..in fact im impartial. I just think its beating a dead horse to say OMGGGG NADAL SOO AMAZING HES SO l33tzerz rofl. exaggeration.

Kevin Patrick
05-05-2005, 03:14 PM
lefty10spro,
you're joking right? Muster was undefeated on clay through the French Open in '95. Vilas had a 50 match win streak in '77 on clay. Nadal already has 2 losses on clay this season. Courier played only 2 clay events in '92(Rome & Roland Garros) & didn't drop a set in either.
Some of these career predictions for Nadal are funny. Yes, he's great at 18 & will probably win the French at least once, but surpassing Guga's total? Nadal is a Muster/Bruguera type player. It takes a lot to play that kind of game(as opposed to Guga) & I don't think he'll have the reserves to play that way for many years. It's a little early for any predictions, regardless.
When Becker won 2 Wimbledons at 18, I'm sure most thought he would many more, but it didn't happen.

Marius_Hancu
05-05-2005, 03:21 PM
I have been watching tennis since 1972 and I have never seen dominance like this - EVER! Nadal is the real deal and is still getting better. I am an old geezer and I am amazed!

You might have a look at this:
Ilie Nastase:
1973--Barcelona, Barcelona, Calgary, Cincinnati, Florence, Gstaad, London / Queen's Club, Madrid, Masters, Monte Carlo, Omaha, Paris Indoor, Roland Garros, Rome;

thus he had everything major: Barcelona, Monte Carlo, Rome, Roland Garros
on clay
and he took FO without losing a set

antontd
05-05-2005, 03:29 PM
Good point, Kevin Patrick.
IMO Nadal can NOT be compared to Federer.

ps: arenít those big Nike logos on his shirt illegal?

joness
05-05-2005, 03:30 PM
i personally can't wait till the red clay season ends, and nadal has to play on grass and hard courts for the rest of the year, i will be extremly surpised if he does anything on the summer hard court circuit, as those courts are much faster like the US Open, where roddick absolutedly dismantled Nadal last year

VamosRafa
05-05-2005, 05:17 PM
A few months ago people here said Rafa would never do anything on hardcourts at all. That was before he beat the red-hot Ljubicic and had Fed on the ropes in Miami.

Rafa did lose badly to Andy Roddick in that match at the U.S. Open, but he had just come back from an injury -- a stress fracture in his foot. His missed the entire clay and grasscourt seasons, and was working his way back into form. I saw his opening singles match at the U.S. Open. His level of play there was nothing like it was in Miami. Although he did have a good run in doubles with Tommy Robredo, where they reached the semis.

I'm not saying Andy wouldn't beat him there. Andy has a great chance against anyone at the U.S. Open. But I think Nadal will play better on hardcourts than you think he will. He may not win a big title, but I bet he'll pick up some more rankings points. Where he will struggle more is on indoor carpet. That's his least favorite surface, and one he also is determined to conquer.

Chloe
05-05-2005, 07:12 PM
Hee. This thread is great. For all of you on the edge of the bridge ready to jump off, keep this in mind: Nadal has many areas where he could improve. He's not nearly as good as he could be. :mrgreen:

TwistServe
05-05-2005, 08:08 PM
A few months ago people here said Rafa would never do anything on hardcourts at all. That was before he beat the red-hot Ljubicic and had Fed on the ropes in Miami.

Hey VamosR... you didn't even have faith in your boy! You thought federer would obliterate Rafa! I was one of the few that felt he could win, and he nearly did win at miami. If his biggest fans had beleived in him he might have gotten the power to beat federer that day!

Phil
05-05-2005, 08:14 PM
Sorry to bust up the party, but I think he's "flavor of the moment". Coria had a nice run last year, Roddick had his run, Ferrero his...these baseliners with one-dimensional games don't last that long at the top. Enjoy it while you can, because as sure as Baskin & Robbins will have a couple new flavors out by Memorial Day, this run will be a distant memory come US Open time this year. He'll either get injured or the tour will figure him out, soon enough-there's no mystery to his game.

Chloe
05-05-2005, 09:08 PM
.. If his biggest fans had beleived in him he might have gotten the power to beat federer that day!

I'm a huge fan, and I highly doubt that I have the telepathic powers that would allow me thoughts to affect how he plays at a given time.

Maybe vamosrafa does, though.

Chloe
05-05-2005, 09:09 PM
Sorry to bust up the party, but I think he's "flavor of the moment". Coria had a nice run last year, Roddick had his run, Ferrero his...these baseliners with one-dimensional games don't last that long at the top. Enjoy it while you can, because as sure as Baskin & Robbins will have a couple new flavors out by Memorial Day, this run will be a distant memory come US Open time this year. He'll either get injured or the tour will figure him out, soon enough-there's no mystery to his game.
Yeah, Nadal is just lucky. A dime a dozen, that boy.

spam
05-05-2005, 11:59 PM
I think you're wrong about Nadal,he has two things that the likes of Coria lack,raw power and a scary focus,this guy likes to crush opponants .On the mystery aspect,well his game is straightforward but then again so was Agassis and Borgs,doesnt make it any easier to handle.Notice how he is now generating pace on the backhand -and forehand is downright nasty.If he develops his serve then I see him as a contender on ANY surface.IMO hes almost a lock for RG this year,he's building momentum like crazy-who else can beat him ,Fed,poss Coria ,Gaudio maybe Safin on a good day???

Phil
05-06-2005, 12:41 AM
Yeah, Nadal is just lucky. A dime a dozen, that boy.

No, not "lucky", but yeah, a dime a dozen. Throw him in with the Musters, Brugueras, Bertelugais-or however you spell the name, etc. He could win a couple RG's, but really, let's not get carried away. They all have nice runs. Come back to this thread in 12 or 18 months. The EXACT same GUSHING was exhibited here last year over Coria, and Nalbandian before him...

And Spam, you are not very knowledgeable on tennis if you can mention Borg and Agassi in the same sentence as Nadal. Buy some perspective.

spam
05-06-2005, 01:01 AM
Morning Phil,they obviously don't show much tennis/or you don't have access- in the land of the rising sun ,because you obviously haven't watched Nadal play for a year or so.
Buy a TV.

Phil
05-06-2005, 01:12 AM
Oh, touche, my good Spam. No, there isn't much tennis shown in my neck of the woods, but...it's a mere inconvenience. I have a "contact" in the States who sends me match tapes every couple of weeks or so. So I've seen him play a few times, recently. On tape, of course. I never said the guy isn't GOOD-he's good, just like Coria is very good. But he's also Flavor of the Moment.

edberg505
05-06-2005, 01:20 AM
Ok, I've been reading over this post and here's my take. Nadal is quite an awesome player. But, I just can't really stand watching him play. He's very intense and very focused when he plays and I like to see that. But what I don't like to see is him and some other baseliner trade a 50 shot ralley. So, Nadal might win the french but I may watch a grand total of 1 of his matches because it might put me to sleep. Actually I don't really like watching the french much anyways. It is definitely my least fav of all the slams. It will be interesting to see how long he can keep this up.

spam
05-06-2005, 01:26 AM
Phil,he's not my fav player to watch and only time will tell ,I certainly wouldnt put him up there with the greats just yet,was just an observation that a straightforward game played well can have longevity-I'd swap the TV for the food,beer and other delights of your current residence any day of the week.

DashaandSafin
05-06-2005, 04:25 AM
Lol spam and Phil what are you guys arguing about? You both agree that Nadal is the flavor of the month...just like i do. Soon enough people will figure out his game and well...there he goes.

splink779
05-06-2005, 04:30 AM
Lol spam and Phil what are you guys arguing about? You both agree that Nadal is the flavor of the month...just like i do. Soon enough people will figure out his game and well...there he goes.

Figure out his game? Don't you think people have 'figured out' Hewitts game, Agassis game, Roddicks game, Safins game, etc.? The fact is, they are still top ten if not top 5 competitors, just like Nadal will be.

Phil
05-06-2005, 07:20 AM
Phil,he's not my fav player to watch and only time will tell ,I certainly wouldnt put him up there with the greats just yet,was just an observation that a straightforward game played well can have longevity-I'd swap the TV for the food,beer and other delights of your current residence any day of the week.

Spam - I know what you mean by "straightforward game", but I don't think HIS game will last long because he goes 110% on EVERY SHOT. Unless he's Superman, he's going to start getting those nagging, prolonged injuries.

What, there's no food or beer in your part of the world? Where are you, Eastern Somalia or something? Give me yer address and I'll send you a care package!

joe sch
05-06-2005, 07:48 AM
What Nadal has accomplished is very impressive. Dominance is only remembered for a year or more so lets see if he can continue his impresive play for the remainder of 2005 ? What Federer accomplished last year was *dominance* I really dont think that either Nadal or Roddick will ever dominate because of the way they play and the setups they use. They are both young and have already had multiple injuries that do not look good for decade long careers. Im hope they can both stay healthy to combat Roger.

TwistServe
05-06-2005, 09:42 AM
Another great victory.. Nadal over Stepanek

VamosRafa
05-06-2005, 10:06 AM
I'm a huge fan, and I highly doubt that I have the telepathic powers that would allow me thoughts to affect how he plays at a given time.

Maybe vamosrafa does, though.

Unfortunately, I don't. When at tournaments, I try to coordinate my outfit to best influence the outcome of Rafa's matches, but I don't think I've had much luck to date with that. The only thing that has helped is yelling at him. I think that's what got him through the match against Ivo Heuberger at the U.S. Open last year, 6-0 6-3 4-6 2-6 6-3. I was quiet for 4 sets, and in the fifth set, I had had enough and started screaming at him. Voila!

Maybe I'll have to hie off to Roland Garros and help him out again. *lol*

Even big fans have to be realistic about what their players can do. But I do admit, Rafa's keeps surprising me all the time. And I think he's going to continue to surprise me -- and all of you -- as times goes on.

VamosRafa
05-06-2005, 01:26 PM
Throw him in with the Musters, Brugueras, Bertelugais-or however you spell the name, etc.

Andre Agassi spoke about the similarities and differences between Nadal and Muster. Thought you may be interested in it:

"Nadal has a phenomenal forehand when he's set, moves unbelievable, and is a great competitor," Agassi said. Nadal is the first left-hander ranked in the top 10 in five years.

"You just don't see it as often. Everything is backwards. He hits the inside-out lefty forehand nasty," Agassi said. "He plays a real physical game, similar to how (Thomas) Muster used to play, but defends the backhand way better, passes much better and while his serve doesn't seem to be tremendously effective, it is."

DashaandSafin
05-06-2005, 01:30 PM
Figure out his game? Don't you think people have 'figured out' Hewitts game, Agassis game, Roddicks game, Safins game, etc.? The fact is, they are still top ten if not top 5 competitors, just like Nadal will be.
Yep and look at Roddick...spiraling down...Safin...spirling down since AO....Agassi...at most barely a top 10 competetor anymore...and well Hewitt? dunno havent heard from him much xpt his devestating loss to Fed.

splink779
05-07-2005, 03:45 PM
Yep and look at Roddick...spiraling down...Safin...spirling down since AO....Agassi...at most barely a top 10 competetor anymore...and well Hewitt? dunno havent heard from him much xpt his devestating loss to Fed.

Roddick is not spiraling down. He had to pull out of a tourney due to a wrist injury, but he's already won 2 titles, made semi-finals at the AO and Pacific life. Has a 23-4 record this year. Safin is just, well, spiraling in every direction, that is just how he is. Agassi is spiraling down because he is old. His game was 'figured out' a long time ago, yet he still won 8 slams. Hewitt has been at the top for a few years now, his game doesn't have much variance.

DashaandSafin
05-07-2005, 07:14 PM
I know im just making my point that Nadal wont be so "scary?" as soon as his opponents "figure him out". Im a fan of everyone and i think that people are not as scared as Roddick or Hewitt or Agassi as they used to be.

splink779
05-07-2005, 07:26 PM
I know im just making my point that Nadal wont be so "scary?" as soon as his opponents "figure him out". Im a fan of everyone and i think that people are not as scared as Roddick or Hewitt or Agassi as they used to be.

I see what you mean.

Chloe
05-07-2005, 07:38 PM
No, not "lucky", but yeah, a dime a dozen. Throw him in with the Musters, Brugueras, Bertelugais-or however you spell the name, etc. He could win a couple RG's, but really, let's not get carried away. They all have nice runs. Come back to this thread in 12 or 18 months. The EXACT same GUSHING was exhibited here last year over Coria, and Nalbandian before him...

Teehee! Muster and Bruguera a dime a dozen? Winning "a couple RG's" a dime a dozen? Hee! We clearly differ on what a "dime a dozen" type player is.

At last check, Coria was still doing fairly well for somebody who sat out the last half of 2004, btw ;)