PDA

View Full Version : tension:power ratio

MuscleWeave
03-19-2010, 09:43 PM
Perhaps someone can help me. How much will tension decrease a poly string's power (approx.), compared to a multi?

I have an AG200, and I'm hybriding poly mains with Multifeel crosses. Right now I have Cyber Blue in the mains 55/58, and I haven't played it yet, but it seems like a lively stringbed. If it turns out to have too much pop, will re-stringing it 1 or 2 lbs. higher suffice to tame this powerful string, or should I just move on to Pro Red Code and WC Scorpion?

Toad
03-19-2010, 11:00 PM
I have no idea how much tension change effects polys compared to multis, but I would imagine they are fairly similar.

Cyber Blue is a powerful string...even at high tensions. 1 or 2 pounds in general will barely be noticeable, if at all. I would probably up both the main and cross by 4 lbs if you find it to be a little too powerful when you hit with it. It is still soft at high tensions...53/55 on a 100 sq. in. head felt nearly as soft as 62/65 on a 95 sq. in. head with rackets of similar stiffness. It was also nearly as powerful, but more controllable.

If the string is just slightly too powerful for you the way it is strung now, upping the tension might fix it. If it is way too powerful, move on to the next string.

MuscleWeave
03-20-2010, 11:08 AM
Thanks, Toad

It turned out to hit just like I wanted it. A bit low-powered, but I've read that the power increases as it breaks in. The control felt good to me, but I'm used to full bed Multifeel at 59. I also had my MW 200G 95 strung up with Gut/Multifeel at 62/60, and the AG200 felt like it had the same power with slightly better control (certainly firmer).

I'll be trying Pro Red Code/Multifeel at 54/57 next. On the 200G, I tried this at 57/60 and it was too firm, with low power on the serve, and no power on ground strokes. But the 'catch' feel on the stringbed was great. I may be about a month on the Cyber Blue, as I only play once or twice a week.

MuscleWeave
03-20-2010, 08:43 PM
I played it again tonight, more seriously; and you are right. The string definitely lacks bite on the ball and control on serve. My serves were going long, and my reliable two-handed topspin would usually climb over the net. I'm wondering how long I can tolerate this stuff before I cough up $14 for labor, to have my stringer hybrid with red code for me.

It's a good thing the CB is so cush and good looking. They've got to be able to sell it somehow.