PDA

View Full Version : Natural Gut Tension question

Ghost
03-20-2010, 01:48 AM
Hi, my usual setup is Babolat Hurricane Tour 17 @ 50 lbs on mains, Head FXP 17 @ 53 on crosses. I'm using Wilson k-blade 98 racquet.
I bought Klip Legend Natural Gut 17 string to try instead of FXP. Do I go with higher/lower tension comparing to my usual 53 becuase of natural gut ?

marosmith
03-20-2010, 11:32 AM
Hi, my usual setup is Babolat Hurricane Tour 17 @ 50 lbs on mains, Head FXP 17 @ 53 on crosses. I'm using Wilson k-blade 98 racquet.
I bought Klip Legend Natural Gut 17 string to try instead of FXP. Do I go with higher/lower tension comparing to my usual 53 becuase of natural gut ?

go to 55-57

Ghost
03-20-2010, 11:54 AM
Do I stay 50 on mains if I go to 57 on gut ? 7 lbs difference seems like a lot.

ClubHoUno
03-20-2010, 01:48 PM
When you hybrid nat gut with poly, try to tension the gut 3-5 lbs HIGHER than the poly, no matter where you place the gut.

This is to get an even constant stringbed stiffness.

LttlElvis
03-20-2010, 01:53 PM
My thought is when you are changing to any type strings, you should remain at the same tension. That way you are only changing one factor. Changing both string and tension, may just confuse your reference comparison.

Ghost
03-20-2010, 06:37 PM
My thought is when you are changing to any type strings, you should remain at the same tension. That way you are only changing one factor. Changing both string and tension, may just confuse your reference comparison.

This is a good point, I think I'll start with same tension to see if I feel any difference and go from there after.
Thanks to everybody who replied with suggestions.

hoodjem
03-20-2010, 07:09 PM
What racquet? What head-size?

Ghost
03-20-2010, 07:58 PM
What racquet? What head-size?

I think I mentioned in my initial post - Wilson k-blade 98

MuscleWeave
03-20-2010, 09:43 PM
I can only guess that ClubHouno (sp?) meant 'gut 3-5 lbs. higher than the poly. Poly is a much harder material than nylon or gut strings. To keep the stringbed at close to a uniform stiffness, it is important to string the non-poly at 2-5 lbs. higher tension than the poly. I string my multi cross string 3 lbs. higher than polys. For gut (although not cost effective for me) I would raise the tension 5 lbs.

To figure out the tensions, first I decrease my basic full-set multi tension number by 10%, for a poly reference number. Then I consider the power (or liveliness) of my chosen poly string. For a lower-powered string, I drop the poly tension 1 lb. more, or for a higher- powered one, I raise the tension 1 lb. Once I've established the tension I want for the poly mains, I set the multi crosses 3 lbs. higher (or 5 lbs. for gut.)

I agree with the advice, to string mains and crosses at the same tension until you have a feel for the setup, but only when you are using the same type of string for mains and crosses. The advice above may not be taking hybriding into account.

I hope this helps.

tenis
03-21-2010, 11:19 AM
When you hybrid nat gut with poly, try to tension the gut 3-5 lbs lower than the poly, no matter where you place the gut.

This is to get an even constant stringbed stiffness.

LOWER than poly????????????????? No way!

ClubHoUno
03-21-2010, 12:57 PM
LOWER than poly????????????????? No way!

Sorry :oops: :oops:

I meant HIGHER than the poly of course :lol:

brownbearfalling
03-21-2010, 11:12 PM
Fxp is not poly. It is a synthetic gut.

JavierLW
03-22-2010, 06:28 AM

That's somewhat true depending on what your motivation.

Some strings are vastly different in material so stringing at the same exact tension will just be a receipe for having an automatic bad experience.

For example if you're stringing something like a stiffer poly at #53, if you just went ahead and bought VS and stuck it at #53, you might absolutely hate it because it's like a trampoline.

Is that really the strings fault then, or is it because you put it at what is a unreasonable tension for gut for most?

It cost money to buy strings and get them strung, not everyone is willing to experiment.

drakulie
03-22-2010, 07:19 AM

Exactly. Stay the same. This way, you know if the string (and not the tension change) is what you liked or disliked.