PDA

View Full Version : Flex of Trysis 300 MP/Prestige classic mp/ Prestige classic tour mp

EKnee08
03-20-2010, 04:46 AM
Can anybody tell me what the flex is of the Head trysis 300 mp, head prestige tour mp, classic prestige mp, etc (all the same racquets).

I recently went to the latest version of this classic stick-the youtelk prestige mp. I recognize that the youtek is a 98 whereas the trysis was 102 sq inches. However, the youtek feels much stiffer and harder on my arm. I bought the trysis and successors starting in the early 90s when I had tennis elbow and was told it was very easy on my arm and the tennis elbow went away.

pshulam
03-20-2010, 08:18 AM
it's about 56.

Regarding TE, since the flex rating of Head YT Prestige MP is 62 which is not that stiff, you might want to try using a softer string (multi-filament or natural gut) strung at a lower tension, e.g. low 50s.

EKnee08
03-20-2010, 02:39 PM
it's about 56.

Regarding TE, since the flex rating of Head YT Prestige MP is 62 which is not that stiff, you might want to try using a softer string (multi-filament or natural gut) strung at a lower tension, e.g. low 50s.

Thanks. Wow, I thought the Trysis was substantially more flexible. I am using VS 17. However, I stupidly and reluctantly strung my Youteks at 58 based on the recommendation of the pro shop where I bought them ( my shoulder and my arm does get sore after playing and I could use some more pop.)

I am considering just throwing out my money and restringing the Youtek Prestiges now at 54 now even though I have only had the youtek for about a month and they are far from needing to be restrung or breaking (the health of my shoulder and arm are more important than money). Would you agree?

Would you go even looser than 54? I have no benchmark for which to judge. I had strung my last sticks, the youtek radical mp at 55 (so stringing the prestiges at 58 made no sense.)

Dino Lagaffe
03-20-2010, 02:41 PM
Head Prestige Tour 660
Weight: 349/12.31
Flex: 56
SW: 331

EKnee08
03-20-2010, 03:34 PM
Head Prestige Tour 660
Weight: 349/12.31
Flex: 56
SW: 331

Perfect! Thanks. Its a different racquet!

vsbabolat
03-20-2010, 04:40 PM
Thanks. Wow, I thought the Trysis was substantially more flexible. I am using VS 17. However, I stupidly and reluctantly strung my Youteks at 58 based on the recommendation of the pro shop where I bought them ( my shoulder and my arm does get sore after playing and I could use some more pop.)

I am considering just throwing out my money and restringing the Youtek Prestiges now at 54 now even though I have only had the youtek for about a month and they are far from needing to be restrung or breaking (the health of my shoulder and arm are more important than money). Would you agree?

Would you go even looser than 54? I have no benchmark for which to judge. I had strung my last sticks, the youtek radical mp at 55 (so stringing the prestiges at 58 made no sense.)

If your stringing you YT radical MP as 55 that 54 would be a good place to start.

EKnee08
03-21-2010, 03:43 AM
If your stringing you YT radical MP as 55 that 54 would be a good place to start.

VSBabolat:
Thank you for this and your responses in other threads.

How much difference do you think the YT stick will play at 4lbs lower tension? ...
and do you have any experience in stringing the YT? If so, what have you found.
Vs is expensive and I obviously don't want to waste $ in this economy.

vsbabolat
03-21-2010, 07:59 AM
VSBabolat:
Thank you for this and your responses in other threads.

How much difference do you think the YT stick will play at 4lbs lower tension? ...
and do you have any experience in stringing the YT? If so, what have you found.
Vs is expensive and I obviously don't want to waste $ in this economy.

My experience with the YT Prestige line so far has been only with the YT Prestige MID. I have not tried Natural Gut in it yet. So far the string I have tried and like in it are: Iso-Speed Control, Prince Premier LT, Tecnifibre x-1 Biphase, and Head FXP.

The strings you might like the best if you are having arm problems is Iso-Speed Professional. It is the same string as the Iso-speed Control only in a thinner gauge. It is a very muted string with a lot of pop. http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/ISOSPEED_Professional_17_String/descpageACISO-ISOP17.html

If you want to go the Natural Gut route then maybe you should try babolat Tonic. It is the seconds of VS in a thicker gauge. Tonic does not have the same gauge consistency of VS and Tonic also has cosmetic blemishes that VS does not. There for not as expensive as VS. http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Babolat_Tonic_Natural_Gut_16_String/descpageACBAB-BTGUT16.html

Don't Let It Bounce
03-21-2010, 05:59 PM
It may be that not all of these frames over the years have had the same flex rating. The Head Classic Tour Midplus on TW's Feb 2000 web page (http://web.archive.org/web/20000229045352/www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage.html?PCODE=HC) is listed at a 64 flex.

pshulam
03-21-2010, 09:12 PM
Not necessary. My PC600 is strung with Head Rip Control 17 at 55. It feels muted and comfortable.

EKnee08
03-22-2010, 06:14 AM
Not necessary. My PC600 is strung with Head Rip Control 17 at 55. It feels muted and comfortable.

I initially had my Youtek Prestige MPs strung w/ VS 17 at 58 lbs at the recommendation of the store where I bought them (they said it would lose 2 lbs tension from the machine) but found it to be a bit hard on my arm and shoulder. I am having them restrung with VS Tonic feel (16) on a new machine that is very accurate. As a result, the stringer recommended a tension of 55. Does that make sense or would you go with 54 lbs? (He stated if you go too low below the recommended range 57 lbs +/-5 lbs, the frame would lose its playing characteristics.

pshulam
03-22-2010, 03:28 PM
I would just stay with 55 since tension will decline with time.

goldenyama
03-23-2010, 01:10 AM
I initially had my Youtek Prestige MPs strung w/ VS 17 at 58 lbs at the recommendation of the store where I bought them (they said it would lose 2 lbs tension from the machine) but found it to be a bit hard on my arm and shoulder. I am having them restrung with VS Tonic feel (16) on a new machine that is very accurate. As a result, the stringer recommended a tension of 55. Does that make sense or would you go with 54 lbs? (He stated if you go too low below the recommended range 57 lbs +/-5 lbs, the frame would lose its playing characteristics.

Tonic 16g at 55 will not be more comfy than VS 17g at 58.

If you go lower the frame wont lose its playing characteristics but the gut may move around after a while.

I would recommend Tonic 16 mains at 52 with Pro Supex Maxim Touch 16 crosses at 55. This will be ultra comfy and the tighter crosses should help keep the strings from moving.

EKnee08
03-25-2010, 12:14 PM

I was going back and forth between 55 and 54. The guy who runs the pro shop suggested 55 but the stringer said 54. I went with 54-the stringer's recommendation.

I have a hitting session tonight. I'll let you know my thoughts after the session.

jimbo333
03-25-2010, 12:38 PM
I was going back and forth between 55 and 54. The guy who runs the pro shop suggested 55 but the stringer said 54. I went with 54-the stringer's recommendation.

I have a hitting session tonight. I'll let you know my thoughts after the session.

Wow! Are you really good enough to notice the difference between 54 and 55?

And what's the margin of error on the machine?

I guess I don't play anywhere near enough to notice this sort of thing:)

Impressive mate, I must say!

EKnee08
03-25-2010, 12:48 PM
Wow! Are you really good enough to notice the difference between 54 and 55?

And what's the margin of error on the machine?

I guess I don't play anywhere near enough to notice this sort of thing:)

Impressive mate, I must say!

LOL, I am quite analytical:lol:... I'm a hacker, these days. The bottom line is that I reduced the tension and hopefully, I will be happy with it.

jimbo333
03-25-2010, 12:55 PM
LOL, I am quite analytical:lol:... I'm a hacker, these days. The bottom line is that I reduced the tension and hopefully, I will be happy with it.

Absolutely, I always say play with as low a tension as you possibly can!

In fact that's maybe where I've been going wrong all these years, LOL:)

EKnee08
03-26-2010, 07:38 AM

Wow, what a difference reducing the tension to 54 made with Babolat Tonic Feel! There was so much more pop. It was almost like a different racquet, not boardy at all. Maybe a little too much pop coming from 58 lbs but now my arm and shoulder felt great and got much better better depth and penetration and hit a heavier ball with less effort with the ball staying in play. My first serves were harder and my seconds had more movement. At 58, my shots had substantially less penetration.
It played closer to my youtek rads MP, which were strung at 55 but the Prestiges have greater control and stability.
However, as expected a reduction in precision and in placement by reducing the tension by 4 lbs. Next time I will go up a lb to 55 but overall it played much better than at 58, not boardy at all.